• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You have the squad? Agreeing with social's stance on this. Resting players for Test series. Wow.
Ridiculous state of affairs when someone plays a huge number of ODIs in a row, all in a short space of time, and then is rested from a Test series. I don't care if he's captain - if he needed a rest it should have been throughout the Kitply Cup.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ridiculous state of affairs when someone plays a huge number of ODIs in a row, all in a short space of time, and then is rested from a Test series. I don't care if he's captain - if he needed a rest it should have been throughout the Kitply Cup.
Why? Although Tests may be held in higher esteem to you and fellow purists, ODI and Test cricket are held in similar esteem to players, imo. Dhoni may even hold ODIs in higher esteem because he is captain and a much more important part of the team. I can see Dinesh Karthik seemlessly slotting in to the Test team whereas the team may be thrown into chaos if Dhoni rests from an ODI series. As for Yuvraj's omission, I think it is a good move by the selectors as he needs to rest his knee and has shown himself not good enough for Test cricket. I think it was a foolish move to include Rohit Sharma though. I seem to say this too often but Badrinath deserves a place in the squad - ODI performances are no way to pick a Test player, especially when Rohit's main problem has been pushing on to play long innings.

I'm happy about the omission of Wasim Jaffer as I have spotted his deficiencies as an opener since the England series and he has only continued to prove such since then. Gambhir is the obvious choice, because of strong FC performances and showing an ability to bat for long periods of time in ODI cricket. On to the bowlers, I am somewhat disappointed to see RP Singh in the squad as he has shown weakness in the subcontinent in the South Africa series and was poor in Australia too. Munaf Patel is a good selection as he can stick to a threatening line on slow, low pitches, but I feel that VRV Singh is one even better at that and he should have been included instead of RP Singh. Ojha was a good selection in place of Chawla who has an inability to bowl accurately for long periods of time, as shown in the South Africa series - Ojha has the record, the FC form and looks a more refined cricketer. For once, the correct message is sent to domestic performers.

My team for the first Test:

Gautam Gambhir
Virender Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Dinesh Karthik
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, we go full strength for 2 of the most meaningless tournaments ever and now this. Makes a mockery of the BCCI's claims that Tests were still the pinaccle to them.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, we go full strength for 2 of the most meaningless tournaments ever and now this. Makes a mockery of the BCCI's claims that Tests were still the pinaccle to them.
Asia Cup is the 2nd most important OD tournment after the World Cup IMO. Would rather win that then the Champions Trophy.

duffer

My team for the first Test:

Gautam Gambhir
Virender Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Dinesh Karthik
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma
Swap Dravid and Laxman and I'd be happy with that team. Not impressed with Bhajji being recalled so abruptly, especially as he's done very little of note recently apart from making a mong out of himself but realistically Ojha is only there in case of an emergency so can't expect him to play.

Groaned a bit when they announced Rohit over Badri, but not surprised in any way.

duffer

Asia Cup is the 2nd most important OD tournment after the World Cup IMO. Would rather win that then the Champions Trophy.
Still, we were led to believe that Tests>ODI's and this shows it's not the case at all for the BCCI. Not surprised as I know how most Indian fans are but disappointed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
decent team.. Hope they are still at least thinking of Badri though.. :(

And yeah, it is unfair to be resting players for a test series but if the selectors feel Dhoni as an ODI player is a lot more valuable than Dhoni as a test player (or, more to the point, Karthik or Parthiv can cover up for Dhoni much better in a test rather than in an ODI), then it is not THAT wrong to have rested him. At the end of the day, you want to see the best side or something as near to it as possible take the field.

Perm

What? Realistically you are only competing against two of the top eight ODI nations, I'm pretty sure the Champions Trophy is a better Test of a team's ability than the Asia Cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What? Realistically you are only competing against two of the top eight ODI nations, I'm pretty sure the Champions Trophy is a better Test of a team's ability than the Asia Cup.
Has more to do with pride from Lankan POV, then quality tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It may be a better test of ability as such, but I certainly have much less respect for it. Being Asian Champions is a lot more significant than being World-Champions-but-not-really-because-of-the-World-Cup, IMO. You're playing for something somewhat meaningful in the former; the latter is insignificant and treated as a set of trial games.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Swap Dravid and Laxman and I'd be happy with that team. Not impressed with Bhajji being recalled so abruptly, especially as he's done very little of note recently apart from making a mong out of himself but realistically Ojha is only there in case of an emergency so can't expect him to play.
I think it is time for Laxman to be given the responsibility of number 3 where he has done well in the past. Bhajji was good against South Africa and should be recalled on the back of that.

duffer

I think it is time for Laxman to be given the responsibility of number 3 where he has done well in the past. Bhajji was good against South Africa and should be recalled on the back of that.
By the same token Dravid is wasted down the order and as the better player of the two should be in the spot which maximises his game. India benefits more from a good Dravid than Laxman IMO.

Perm

I guess this means Parthiv Patel will be on the plane home from Australia, leaving Badrinath as the captain of the Indian Emerging Players side.

Obviously, as with most others, I find it pretty ridiculous that Dhoni has basically been forced to rest from the Test series. The amount of strain that his body and mind has been put under since being made captain of the ODI side is ridiculous, and now we see his Test career starting to suffer. A few interesting changes, most notably Gambhir for Jaffer and Sharma for Yuvraj, not too sure what to make of them. I know Gambhir is an excellent player of spin and will probably benefit immensely from this Test series, but Jaffer is very good at scoring lots of runs on flat pitches, and needs some confidence after his latest run against Australia and South Africa.

duffer

A few interesting changes, most notably Gambhir for Jaffer and Sharma for Yuvraj, not too sure what to make of them. I know Gambhir is an excellent player of spin and will probably benefit immensely from this Test series, but Jaffer is very good at scoring lots of runs on flat pitches, and needs some confidence after his latest run against Australia and South Africa.
I just think Gambhir's the better player full stop, and he's banging on the door for the past year or so now. He's more of a long term solution than someone who'll merely stuff his stats in favourable conditions like Jaffer.

Also, as much as I rate Rohit, can't help but feel Badrinath and Raina have done more at domestic level than he has and have a greater claim to a middle order spot than him.