• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Realistically I don't think the likes of Praveen Kumar can be expected to succeed on absolutely flat tracks. To do that you need either pace in the air or height. Among our current bowlers only Ishant looks capable in that regard as he showed in the final. However on a track with some life in it Praveen Kumar could be a useful option for India.

As for Joginder I don't think anyone including Dhoni considers him a world-class bowler. However what Dhoni realized in the TT world cup was that unlike in ODI's, sometimes you have to give your part-time bowler the final over in a TT game. And he seems to have the knack of calming the nerves of inexperienced players in tremendously tense situations. For that he deserves credit. Though I am skeptical that he will make it as a test player I think he is potentially an all-time ODI great both as captain and batsman.
Sure.

But on a track with some life, Sreesanth, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer, Irfan and RP will be even more useful.

That is the point.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He has some disciplinary problems. SL will never allow ill disciplined players to be in the team. That's why people like him is missing in the team. Niroshan Bandaratillake was apromising spinner, but caught for shop lifting in UK. SLC never allowed him to play for SL after that. That's why we don't have match fixers like Malik, Azhar or Mark Waugh, or drug cheats like Warne, Akthar or Asif or womanisers like Warne. The only black mark is Lokuarachchi, who should be promptly thrown out of the team due to his drinking problem.
Does he have to prove his discipline or is he simply not coming back? I really liked the look of him and he has got all the numbers.

Dissector

International Debutant
Sure.

But on a track with some life, Sreesanth, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer, Irfan and RP will be even more useful.

That is the point.
Ishant and Zaheer yes and I would pick Irfan for his batting. However Sreesanth is way too erratic and Praveen has better temparement by far. RP Singh is useless in the field and with the bat and IMO rather overrated with the ball. When you add in our injury problems I still think there is place for someone like Praveen.

Ultimately I agree that he is only a bit above average but I think Dhoni does have the knack of drawing out above-average performances from such players even if some people have exaggerated his skill in this regard.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here are the figures for the last two first class seasons for six medium pacers (other than the front line ones like Zaheer, Sreesanth, Ishant, Irfan, RP)

Code:
[B]Player (Team)    	Wkts	Avg[/B]
Sanjay Bangar (Rly)	65	16.9
J. P. Yadav (MP)	55	17.3
R Ashwin (Tamilnadu))	45	19.0
Pravin Kumar (UP)	85	20.3
J. Sharma (Haryana)	61	20.5
RR Bose (Kolkata)	89	20.8
There could be others.

PS : JP Yadav retired this season so his figures are for his last two seasons.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are the figures for the last two first class seasons for six medium pacers (other than the front line ones like Zaheer, Sreesanth, Ishant, Irfan, RP)

Code:
J. P. Yadav (MP)	55	17.3
There could be others.

Point taken - I've seen Bangar bowl. Only supports my theory that they need to reduce the number of teams or bring a parallel aspect to the Duleep Trophy and the Ranji Trophy as two grades of cricket.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think India have got a few decent options in regards to pace: Sreesanth, Zaheer Khan, Pathan, Ishant Sharma, and to some degree RP Singh. And I haven't even mentioned some of the other fringe bowlers.

There's no need for players like Praveen Kumar and Joginder Sharma if you ask me - I think they are worthless at the international level. But there's nothing wrong with having them around and developing into better cricketers, just don't think its a wise investment.

In all honesty, I'd rather they take it slow with Ishant sharma and give him time to develop rather than have him get burned out from india's schedule. He's got potential, but so did Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, VRV Singh, etc. At some point or another, I have read that these guys were touted as the "fastest in India," only to be disappointed when they actually broke into the test side. Don't want another overhyped failure in India's quest for a legitimate fast bowler.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Code:
J. P. Yadav (MP)	55	17.3
There could be others.

Almost sure that Ashwin is an off-spinner, SJS. And the guy is pretty good for an off-spinner too.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How's this for an Indian ODI Relief XI?
  • Asnodkar
  • Gambhir
  • Raina
  • Badrinath
  • Sharma
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Yusuf (OB)
  • Mishra (LBG)
  • Zaheer (LFM)
  • Ishant (RFM)
  • Gony/Dinda (RMF)
Tough to leave Sehwag out of this, but he too needs a break. Even tougher leaving out Raina and Sharma, because they're still fresh and new here in the team.

biased indian

International Coach
How's this for an Indian ODI Relief XI?
  • Asnodkar
  • Gambhir
  • Raina
  • Badrinath
  • Sharma
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Yusuf (OB)
  • Mishra (LBG)
  • Zaheer (LFM)
  • Ishant (RFM)
  • Gony/Dinda (RMF)
Tough to leave Sehwag out of this, but he too needs a break. Even tougher leaving out Raina and Sharma, because they're still fresh and new here in the team.
And u still have Dhoni ?????

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bad move. But then, he's the busiest cricketer in the world.

This is why Gilchrist was never a full-time captain. But then, I wonder, was he ever as busy as Dhoni?
Doubtful, even at their busiest the team got a month off here and there

BCCI has lost the plot - timing of Asia Cup, SL series and Champions Trophy were all designed to support administrations that vote with the BCCI at ICC level and fit around IPL

Fortunately for guys making these decisions, it'll be the players and support staff who cop the criticism if the team starts losing consistently

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Doubtful, even at their busiest the team got a month off here and there

BCCI has lost the plot - timing of Asia Cup, SL series and Champions Trophy were all designed to support administrations that vote with the BCCI at ICC level and fit around IPL

Fortunately for guys making these decisions, it'll be the players and support staff who cop the criticism if the team starts losing consistently
I wonder why fans keep criticising the players, then. The Indians lose a few tournaments here and there, but there are a few that shouldn't have happened at all.

The tour to Sri Lanka was done purely to save the cash-strapped Sri Lanka Cricket, rather than for cricketing reasons. It should be treated as such.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Almost sure that Ashwin is an off-spinner, SJS. And the guy is pretty good for an off-spinner too.
Right arm medium fast according to cricketarchives !!

But you are right. He IS an off spinner. Cricket archives is wrong. Unfortunately I took the stats from there :)

Of course, the point is still valid if you compare Ravi's FC figures of those two seasons with those of India's leading off spinners for the same period - in India only.

Ravi Ashwin : 45 wkts at 19 each

Harbhajan Singh : 31 wkts at 32.4 each

Romesh Powar : 47 wkts at 40.8​

No one, even in Tamil Nadu, is talking of Ravi as a better off spinner than Harbhajan and Powar. The FC figures in India are very misleading thats why I keep warning my friends here from India not to rely too much 'just' on the FC figures. Also the reason why I refuse to comment on many young upcoming Indian players until I haven't seen them in person.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Right arm medium fast according to cricketarchives !!

But you are right. He IS an off spinner. Cricket archives is wrong. Unfortunately I took the stats from there :)

Of course, the point is still valid if you compare Ravi's FC figures of those two seasons with those of India's leading off spinners for the same period - in India only.

Ravi Ashwin : 45 wkts at 19 each

Harbhajan Singh : 31 wkts at 32.4 each

Romesh Powar : 47 wkts at 40.8​

No one, even in Tamil Nadu, is talking of Ravi as a better off spinner than Harbhajan and Powar. The FC figures in India are very misleading thats why I keep warning my friends here from India not to rely too much 'just' on the FC figures. Also the reason why I refuse to comment on many young upcoming Indian players until I haven't seen them in person.
I have seen Joginder Sharma bowl though and I think that he looks okay.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Dhoni,Yuvraj & Irfan not in Test Squad for SL

Dhoni,Yuvraj & Irfan not in Test Squad for SL.......

I don't whether this is a rest or something else......

After Dhoni complained in Asia Cup...it looks like a rest for him.....(looking at his good form)....

But i am not sure for Yuvraj & Irfan....