• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Anyone care about the Indian bowlers vs SL batsmen?

Not on this thread, I suppose. Though I am looking forward to Zaheer & Ishant (for the first time?) opening bowling for India. Then anything good for Mendis is good for Kumble too, and finally hoping that Harbhajan's dodgy doosra is worth something.
Im a bit worried for Sri Lanka's batting lineup with their tendancy to lose early wickets. They have sangakarra and Jayawardene who are both stars, and have Dilshan and Vandort who are alright. Hopefully Samaraweera can get back into form. Im just hoping Mubarak and Kapugedera don't play...

Dissector

International Debutant
Obviously we will have to wait and see how good Mendis really is at the test level but in addition to all the other points made, he showed great temparament by coming to bowl at a crucial stage in a final and completely turning it around. His body language and attitude, too suggest a real competitor to me. So he has clearly demonstrated accuracy, variation and temparement which is already a big part of being a world-class spinner. One thing we will have to look out for is his ability to bowl long spells at the test level. I also suspect he will need to develop a real ripper to become a big threat in tests.

In the context of this series there is also the new spinner jinx that India has suffered from. Even if it lasts for just one test, it could make a big difference to the series. This is the one area where he does have an advantage over Murali.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The key would be his ability to develop a stock ball, for me. As Geoff Boycott puts it, you need have a certain delivery that you can bowl with good accuracy.. be able to tell the captain that this is where I am going to pitch it, this is what it is going to do and ask him to set the field for that.. Be able to give the captain and himself some kind of control over the batsman and where he is going to hit the ball. If he does that, I do think he will become a very good to great bowler at test level, coz I feel he has already checked the other boxes.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yeah, because he was in such shocking form last time he played a Test series and all... :huh:
He's been crap before that and it was just one test where he has done well. So he's certainly on the way back at least. It will be great if he can do more good performances.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Though I am looking forward to Zaheer & Ishant (for the first time?) opening bowling for India. Then anything good for Mendis is good for Kumble too, and finally hoping that Harbhajan's dodgy doosra is worth something.
Me too, been wanting to see this since Ishant worked over Ponting. Biggest concerne for mine is whether Zaheer can hit the ground running after a long lay-off but I guess the flipside of that will be his relative freshness compared to others in the squad.

Looking for a big series from Anil as well, and quite interested to see how Harbhajan comes back after his ban. See if being on his last chance slaps some sense into him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone care about the Indian bowlers vs SL batsmen?

Not on this thread, I suppose. Though I am looking forward to Zaheer & Ishant (for the first time?) opening bowling for India. Then anything good for Mendis is good for Kumble too, and finally hoping that Harbhajan's dodgy doosra is worth something.
Zaheer and Ishant, at this stage, are the ideal combination. Figures in the tour match are promising. Ishant's had a decent run so far, while Zaheer did well in the IPL (but went on a break) so the combination stands a good chance. Moreover, pacers have often worked well against the Lankans, so these two are a factor here. A lot will depend on Kumble, and hopefully he'll take ten a match every match- then the mark of 700 won't be far, and that's a far more telling landmark than Sachin passing Lara. Harbhajan didn't do so well last time around, but he was the only other decent bowler in that team after Zaheer and Venky.

Once again, though each bowler is very capable individually, as a four-bowler combination, they've been found wanting once too often. They all run out of energy once they pass 90 overs, and the opposition scores big. A fifth (backup) bowler is needed to take the load off the four frontliners, so Ganguly's seam-up will have to be counted in as well. If Dinesh Karthik scores big, then there's some scope for a fifth bowler, but it's tough getting in a fifth bowler who's not Irfan or Bangar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The tour match is interrupted due to rain. So far, Zaheer has two and Ishant, one, for not too many. Harbhajan took one for 40 in ten overs, and Kumble and Munaf are wicketless at over three an over. Ganguly walked off after two overs.

Dissector

International Debutant
BTW which was the last test debut as hyped as Mendis? Tendulkar was pretty high profile when he started in Pakistan in 89 but I don't think it was anything close to this.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
can someone tell me who has the broadcast rights for the the test series in australia?

is it fox or sentanta?

Migara

International Coach
Im a bit worried for Sri Lanka's batting lineup with their tendancy to lose early wickets. They have sangakarra and Jayawardene who are both stars, and have Dilshan and Vandort who are alright. Hopefully Samaraweera can get back into form. Im just hoping Mubarak and Kapugedera don't play...
He is in form. Easily the best batsman in the WIndies your.

duffer

can someone tell me who has the broadcast rights for the the test series in australia?

is it fox or sentanta?
Fox never carry the rights to two Asian teams. Setanta possibly, but with the European football season about to commence I'm not sure they'll go for it. French and Scottish leagues start up real soon don't they?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just seen that this series is being carried on SportsMax. Literally pumped my fist in the air. Life is good!

Dissector

International Debutant
Didn't see the game but it looks like a very useful outing with all five bowlers getting a wicket. Particularly good to see Zaheer making a couple of early breakthroughs. Hopefully the batsmen will get useful time in the middle tomorrow.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, as has been said, Fox definitely won't have it. Setanta might.
Looks like Fox Sports IS showing it. Fox Sports will have highlights of Day 1's play on Thursday, 24th of July from 11:30 am - 1:30 pm AEST.

If you look at their online TV guide it clearly shows cricket on at that time. Only it says that 'Test Match Cricket - West Indies vs Sri Lanka' :huh:

I'm assuming that it's just a typo. But I do remember them showing daily highlights of the West Indies vs Sri Lanka games a little while back, so perhaps Fox Sports is at least showing highlights.

I've checked with Setanta and they are definitely not showing the series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BTW which was the last test debut as hyped as Mendis? Tendulkar was pretty high profile when he started in Pakistan in 89 but I don't think it was anything close to this.
Balaji was severely hyped in some corners. Nothing like this though. The kind of hype this kid is getting, you'd swear he'd at least played a Test before.

What are the odds on Mendis not playing the first Test?

duffer

Looks like Fox Sports IS showing it. Fox Sports will have highlights of Day 1's play on Thursday, 24th of July from 11:30 am - 1:30 pm AEST.

If you look at their online TV guide it clearly shows cricket on at that time. Only it says that 'Test Match Cricket - West Indies vs Sri Lanka' :huh:

I'm assuming that it's just a typo. But I do remember them showing daily highlights of the West Indies vs Sri Lanka games a little while back, so perhaps Fox Sports is at least showing highlights.

I've checked with Setanta and they are definitely not showing the series.
You might be right about this. Checked the guide and it's there. Really don't want to get my hopes up though.