• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Not very surprising. The rest of the South Africans have thrown away their wickets trying to up the pace. Kallis` knock may indeed win them the game today, but when the pitch isn`t seamer-friendly he can`t afford to bat like this, and he probably will. He`s like Katich, but he converts his starts.
8-)
LOL, Katich will be pleased. TBF his played a good knock today, there has been something in it for the seamers and with a couple walking wickets in the side, captain Smith and concrete feet Gibbs he had to play it cool. Whereas Katich has no accuses for the way he plays, considering his opening partner and the middle order Australia have.

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeah, tongue of Nel, as usual someone hitting 100+ when the next highest score is 44 is now playing for himself and is selfish etc.. Wonder why I bother looking here tbh :laugh:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
yeah...SA would have liked a few more but 248 should do the job.
I'm curious to see how the Jaffer experiment works out..

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Langeveldt said:
yeah, tongue of Nel, as usual someone hitting 100+ when the next highest score is 44 is now playing for himself and is selfish etc.. Wonder why I bother looking here tbh :laugh:
1) I believe other people would be scoring higher if it wasn`t for Kallis` inability to rotate the strike.

2) It was a great knock on a tricky pitch, and South Africa should win with their bowling attack.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Didn't say I accused him, I'm saying Barry Richards did.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nnanden said:
1) I believe other people would be scoring higher if it wasn`t for Kallis` inability to rotate the strike.

2) It was a great knock on a tricky pitch, and South Africa should win with their bowling attack.
fair enough, but I dont see how an "inability to rotate the strike" = selfish (Barry Richards or whoever)... Sajid Mahmood can't bowl a cricket ball, that doesn't mean he is a bad person, or selfish or not a team man..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
fair enough, but I dont see how an "inability to rotate the strike" = selfish (Barry Richards or whoever)... Sajid Mahmood can't bowl a cricket ball, that doesn't mean he is a bad person, or selfish or not a team man..
Richards said something like "He was doing fantastic up until he got to 80, and then he just went into a shell". Basically he accused him of just playing for his century, which caused the other guy to take more chances and the wickets to start falling (i.e they were 3 or four down, and then after he went into a shell, they lost a couple in quick succession).

I am not sure I buy that because I think Sachin kept it very close and didn't give much away. So I don't really think it was selfishness, but I guess Barry Richards disagrees.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Langeveldt said:
It could be a management thing, in which case I`m wrong. But it seems that Kallis` aim is to stay there throughout the innings while the other players go the bash. Kallis could be more forceful in trying to find gaps and rotate the strike, but chooses not to. Again, this might be a very good tactic in this match, but I doubt it will work in countless others. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Indian guys on Cricbuzz are making their predications for India's innings.

Kaif b Kallis 28 (64) Or 19 (62) retired hurt by Ntini
Sachin c Boucher b Pollock 7 (12)
Jaffer lbw Ntini 9 (19)
Raina lbw Nel 1 (10)
Dhoni bowled Nel 11 (21)

Fancy there chances much. :laugh:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
It could be a management thing, in which case I`m wrong. But it seems that Kallis` aim is to stay there throughout the innings while the other players go the bash. Kallis could be more forceful in trying to find gaps and rotate the strike, but chooses not to. Again, this might be a very good tactic in this match, but I doubt it will work in countless others. :)
Well he probably realises that if he goes then its goodnight Charlie. You seem to think that the South African batting order is particularly good or on form at the moment, Smith has not scored runs for a long time, Gibbs has lost the plot and was doing nothing but offering catching practice today, Bosman is nothing more than a 90's throwback to the pinch hitter and AB's record in ODI is pretty bad for a player of his quality. Kallis is the only constant presence, he should drop anchor its the only sensible thing to do. Playing shots like he did against the West Indies in the last ODI are not on and he knows it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Perhaps his team-mates` records are so bad because they feel the need to up the ante when Kallis doesn`t? More Devil`s Advocate than anything else.