• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’ll be interested to see what SA do wrt team balance.

From an Australian pov I’d be really happy if they played five bowlers with Vern at seven on sporting decks.

vcs

If I were SA, I'd almost consider bringing Duminy back just for Australia lol.

vcs

Didn't he make a century in the Port Elizabeth match you won in the last series? He seems to have a knack of making runs when you beat Australia.

On a serious note, SA's batting does look a bit light with QdK's form right now if they are going to go with the 5 bowler strategy.

SeamUp

International Coach
Didn't he make a century in the Port Elizabeth match you won in the last series? He seems to have a knack of making runs when you beat Australia.

On a serious note, SA's batting does look a bit light with QdK's form right now if they are going to go with the 5 bowler strategy.
Yeah he did score a 100 in PE last series but obviously said in jest.

Think we in a situation where we need to find another batsman capable of scoring test centuries. Bavuma and de Bruyn are in position and no doubt Bavuma will be playing.

R!TTER

State Regular
If I were SA, I'd almost consider bringing Duminy back just for Australia lol.
Alternatively they could roll out flat pitches possibly negating the Aus pace trio. They should also bring back Morris & Maharaj if they're looking to play 5 bowlers, Philander/Rabada/Morris/Maharaj & any of Steyn/Morkel/Ngidi is still a stupendous bowling attack with good batting depth up to 9 or 10 - depending on how you rate Rabada/Maharaj's batting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah flat pitches would be absolutely perfect for us, that's actually where the pace trio does best (because they have extra weapons that most bowlers don't on flat, bouncy surfaces).

R!TTER

State Regular
Yeah flat pitches would be absolutely perfect for us, that's actually where the pace trio does best (because they have extra weapons that most bowlers don't on flat, bouncy surfaces).
Flat tracks also bring Markram, Amla, AB, Qdk back into the game, besides SA have an attack that can match Aus as seen during the summer of 2016. Flat doesn't mean MCG flat, Adelaide or Perth flat should do, the recent pitches only make it worse for SA because their batting's been on thin ice for quite some time now.

Spark

Global Moderator
Flat tracks also bring Markram, Amla, AB, Qdk back into the game, besides SA have an attack that can match Aus as seen during the summer of 2016. Flat doesn't mean MCG flat, Adelaide or Perth flat should do, the recent pitches only make it worse for SA because their batting's been on thin ice for quite some time now.
Yeah these pitches are too far. I reckon SA's best chance are pitches which are bouncy, but offer a bit of swing and seam.

It's a bit pointless when arguing which pitch will suit who more though, as both sides are so similar in their historic and man-for-man strengths and weaknesses.

vcs

The difference between SA's flat pitches and Australian flat pitches is that the ball moves in the air in SA for at least 15-20 overs, and Australian batsmen haven't dealt too well with that in Hobart 2016, or their recent England tours. But most of the top order from those tours have been replaced, so it will be interesting to see how they fare this time.

TheJediBrah

Alternatively they could roll out flat pitches possibly negating the Aus pace trio. They should also bring back Morris & Maharaj if they're looking to play 5 bowlers, Philander/Rabada/Morris/Maharaj & any of Steyn/Morkel/Ngidi is still a stupendous bowling attack with good batting depth up to 9 or 10 - depending on how you rate Rabada/Maharaj's batting.
Not sure about this. All I've been hearing over the last 5 years is how Australia roll out flat pitches because it helps their fast bowlers, because they're the only ones who can take 20 wickets on them.

If they really want to doctor pitches for Australia they'd be better off going with green tops or dry turners. Probably green tops because Lyon.

SeamUp

International Coach
Honestly, I am getting sick of the producing different types of pitches thing. Each venue just needs to have it's traditional characteristics and then play your opponent. The only thing to worry about is the competence of the curator's.

The 3 coastal venues will be better for our attack than too many shoot-outs on the highveld.

That being said, I can't imagine it not turning a bit on the coast late season. Spinners should have a big role to play.

Isn't there a thread opened for this tour yet ? Seem to remember someone starting it early.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly, I am getting sick of the producing different types of pitches thing. Each venue just needs to have it's traditional characteristics and then play your opponent. The only thing to worry about is the competence of the curator's.

The 3 coastal venues will be better for our attack than too many shoot-outs on the highveld.

That being said, I can't imagine it not turning a bit on the coast late season. Spinners should have a big role to play.

Isn't there a thread opened for this tour yet ? Seem to remember someone starting it early.
There's a thread, but it's fallen off the front page.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I’ll be interested to see what SA do wrt team balance.

From an Australian pov I’d be really happy if they played five bowlers with Vern at seven on sporting decks.
If SA play 5 bowlers I would be quite happy to back us then.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I am all for the home team trying to prepare pitches that suit their bowlers. But they seriously need to do away with the toss and let the visiting team decide to bat or bowl first.