• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
this is a ludicrous move on the part of ganguly....wasnt it all over the press yesterday that ganguly was prepared to open the batting?
Erm, no it wasn't - Yuvraj was mentioned as the reserve opener before the tour, but he didn't necesarily want to move him from the middle order after his success.

tooextracool said:
for me it just sends a negative message to the opposition that the senior batsmen(ganguly,sachin and laxman) are scared to come up front and face the music.

For me it says - "We're established middle order players, so the middle order is where we'll bat. You may get through the openers early, but we bat a long way."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
And what's the point sending in Parthiv to open? Why not Balaji or Pathan? Why not Nehra? At least Nehra can hit the ball a long way.
Patel has a better technique.

A match lasts 5 days, so why send a pinch hitter to his doom?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
For me it says - "We're established middle order players, so the middle order is where we'll bat. You may get through the openers early, but we bat a long way."
Agreed 100%.

shankar

International Debutant
People keep saying that opening with Parthiv sends out the 'wrong message' 8-) Who cares...What matters is if it's effective or not...Too much is made of this 'sending the right message' crap. India lost the second test match trying to send the 'right message'.
Ganguly has not played since the ODI's and doesnt have the best technique. It's illogical for him to open just for the sake of showing that they're being positive. Yuveraj...maybe but he's scored a 100 at no.6 so why shift him and spoil a good thing. Parthiv's played close to his body and shown courage against the quick stuff. The goal is to get through the new ball. It doesn't matter even if he gets out after that. Yes, It might look like the great Indian batting line-up are afraid of the new ball. But if the ploy works then that's all that matters.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Arjun said:
Name one instance where he has been captain and the bowlers have had a convincing performance. All point to the spin-dominated home victories, where the in-form bowlers were still bowling. Here, the only bowler who was getting wickets was kept out of action, while the others, who landed the ball elsewhere still stayed. It's like what Sidhu said- if it ain't broke, break it!

And what's the point sending in Parthiv to open? Why not Balaji or Pathan? Why not Nehra? At least Nehra can hit the ball a long way. This has to be the most negative step they have taken. It has failed in the past, so how will it work now?
Nehra, with his test average of 5?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
why would you want the ball to be hit a long way at the beginning of the innings by a pinch hitter? Sehwag, the regular opener already does that. What is needed is someone who can stay there for a long time. Patel was good at this in the last match. That's why he was sent as opener. Don't find fault with everything ganguly does.

also about when was the last time the bowlers did well under ganguly? hmmmmm....how about yesterday 8-) ? The score was 138/8 if i remember correctly before sami prevented a total rout. Now don't say that it was Ganguly's fault that this rout was prevented. Balaji is not the only bowler in the team. The responsibility lies with all bowlers. Nehra and Pathan bowled well too. Nehra got Inzamam and Pathan got Youhana. So why couldn't THEY get sami? Maybe because sami actually played well just like pathan played well in the 1st innings of the last test? 8-)

Sehwag309

Banned
Lions81 said:
Got any lottery numbers for me? :D
I get close in Lotto, not very but regarding cricket if u saw pmy previous posts on sehwag's 309, I actually forgot to post something I had to say

He gets 309 in Multan 1st Innings
He gets 3 9 in Lahore 1st Innings
He Gets 90 in Lahore 2nd Innings

I could have placed a bet ----->0 in Pindi 1st Innings

Quite Possible that his next score could be 3 or 9

Sehwag309

Banned
I don't see what the fuss about Pak being 138/8 to 224.

2nd test even India were 147-7, but managed 287. Pakistan won that test match so nothing was mentioned, coincidntally Pathan , Sami both scored 49.

It's Dravid turn to make a century, and I believe he will. Not sure about Tendulkar, Laxman has to perform too

madcricketer

Cricket Spectator
shankar said:
I agree.He's also to blame for the ozone hole,terrorism and global warming.8-)

How about blaming the bowlers who couldn't land a ball on the stumps.
yo balaji is a good bowler i must say that but look at the pakistani team. More than half of the palyer are injured. I mean if we had better batsmen we would have scored higher. We have a lot of new talent who cant face bowlers like Balaji. I give credit to Pakistans 224 after all they were 138. I mean with these new batsmen its a job well done they comeback to get the scre to atleast 200's and then gey the opener of India out at 0. I dont see why Balaji has made some people shocked at how good he is. Its like Bangladesh losing against Australia. Pakistan just doesnt have the talent right know and half of the players are injured.
Go Pakistan. May God Be With You :cool:

Indian bowling was just AWESOME, the pansy Pakistani batsmen have no idea as to how to handle the Indian bowlers. Full marks to Sami(the world's most useless bowler) for his contribution with the bat.

India should now take a lead of atleast 200 runs (if not more) A 200 run lead would be enough to beat Pak by an innings margin. India should not only look to beat Pak but also to dampen their spirit by destroying them so that India can continue to dominate Pak in cricket in years to come by having a psychological advantage .

NikhilN

International Regular
Sehwag309 said:

2nd test even India were 147-7, but managed 287. Pakistan won that test match so nothing was mentioned, coincidntally Pathan , Sami both scored 49.

It's Dravid turn to make a century, and I believe he will. Not sure about Tendulkar, Laxman has to perform too
Ganguly too...He wasnt much in Australia...beside the first test

Craig

World Traveller
Sehwag309 said:

Yeah they will probably score big, but their spots arent under threat.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
madcricketer said:
yo balaji is a good bowler i must say that but look at the pakistani team. More than half of the palyer are injured. I mean if we had better batsmen we would have scored higher. We have a lot of new talent who cant face bowlers like Balaji. I give credit to Pakistans 224 after all they were 138. I mean with these new batsmen its a job well done they comeback to get the scre to atleast 200's and then gey the opener of India out at 0. I dont see why Balaji has made some people shocked at how good he is. Its like Bangladesh losing against Australia. Pakistan just doesnt have the talent right know and half of the players are injured.
Go Pakistan. May God Be With You :cool:
Which one of your batsmen exactly are injured? This seems to be your fully-powered batting attack with seven batsmen. Surely you're not going to argue that Razzaq's injury is hurting you? Maybe Moin Khan's injury as he's a better bat than Akmal, but Akmal saves more runs as keeper.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
the pansy Pakistani batsmen .
This is truly a poetic line, but let's hold off on making fun of them unless and until we put up a big score ourselves! We seem intent on taking 100 overs to score a 100!

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag309 said:

I think the reason for this, and I say this will all due respect to the Pakistani batsmen, is that less is expected of the Pakistani batsmen than the Indian batsmen. So going from 147-7 to 287 was almost expected, but here, this was a shock. Although I could've told anyone it would've happened, it's happened in every test match so far, a damn tailender clogs up one end for hours every time!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Name one instance where he has been captain and the bowlers have had a convincing performance. All point to the spin-dominated home victories, where the in-form bowlers were still bowling. Here, the only bowler who was getting wickets was kept out of action, while the others, who landed the ball elsewhere still stayed. It's like what Sidhu said- if it ain't broke, break it!

And what's the point sending in Parthiv to open? Why not Balaji or Pathan? Why not Nehra? At least Nehra can hit the ball a long way. This has to be the most negative step they have taken. It has failed in the past, so how will it work now?
What are you on about ? Ganguly has presided over 6 overseas victories. I think to win a test match you need to take 20 wickets and that's done by bowlers, right ? 8-) 8-)

And why send Nehra, Pathan or Balaji who have been only known to use the long handle with a little bit of effectiveness at best, and in no situation can be called accomplished test batsman to be given the opening berth ? Is it a situation where there are field retrictions and such for 15 overs or something similar ? I thought we were talking about test cricket.

Choora

State Regular
Lions81 said:
This is truly a poetic line, but let's hold off on making fun of them unless and until we put up a big score ourselves! We seem intent on taking 100 overs to score a 100!

I don't think so, right now India is moving at a good pace.However there is no need to rush, there is plenty of time, all India need to do is to get a lead of 200+, if they are able to do that then they will almost certainly win the game and the series :)