• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Geez, a lot of changes being made here.

Tbh, apart from How, a fully fit Oram and an in form Franklin and Mills, there isn't much more we can do with this team. Arnel is OK, will probably be better than Mills/Martin but won't gain a huge amount. The batsmen are just woefuly inconsistent bar Flynn and Ryder and our best batsman Vettori.

The fact is India finally have a team that have a really good chance of winning in most places unless it suits seam bowling for 5 days. In other words, do we want to win? Because if so, instead of lambasting our bowlers (like I know will happen on radio talkback) lets give them something like that last ODI pitch. The Indians won't like it and extremists will liken it to last tour, but if we want to win, thats the only way. Case closed.

Roll out flatties or normals, our seamers will be OK without being devastating, the batting will be like NZ batting and India will win.

Boom, headshot.
lol-why not?-i like my test matches to end within 3 days and i will back our seamers over the kiwis unsettled pace attack.

Woodster

International Captain
:laugh: Yeah drop Franklin he gets out by hitting the ball with his pad and is given caught. What a terrible batsman.

Averaging near 200 this domestic season? No crikey I saw him on the moving pictures box and he was out for not much I say!
My judgement is not being made solely on this Test match. If James Franklin is NZ's best option at number 6, then they really are struggling. I appreciate he has shown excellent form at domestic level, and to a degree, you can only give a player the chance he deserves. However, the decision to promote him to Test number 6 on the strength of some good domestic scores is questionable. Unless something drastic changes, he will be a useful swing bowler in the right conditions, and handy number 8 bat. Offer the batting some depth coming in at 8, I really cannot see him carving out an international Test career as an all-rounder.

To compare him with Jacob Oram would be exceptionally harsh on Oram.

Flem274*

123/5
lol-why not?-i like my test matches to end within 3 days and i will back our seamers over the kiwis unsettled pace attack.
You'd have good reason to, but we have a far lesser chance of success with this flat piece of ****e, unless when we bowl again it starts swinging everywhere.

But as the last ODI showed, once we have our traditional conditions we are in business.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar 3 centuries in his last four Tests. Pretty good run of form he is having here.
Cricinfo - Sachin evokes his prime

An article on Cricinfo says that Sachin has hit his prime again. Hope it turns out to be true.
Top stuff, it is magnificent to see Tendulkar in some form at the back end (?) of his career.

Geez, a lot of changes being made here.

Tbh, apart from How, a fully fit Oram and an in form Franklin and Mills, there isn't much more we can do with this team. Arnel is OK, will probably be better than Mills/Martin but won't gain a huge amount. The batsmen are just woefuly inconsistent bar Flynn and Ryder and our best batsman Vettori.

The fact is India finally have a team that have a really good chance of winning in most places unless it suits seam bowling for 5 days. In other words, do we want to win? Because if so, instead of lambasting our bowlers (like I know will happen on radio talkback) lets give them something like that last ODI pitch. The Indians won't like it and extremists will liken it to last tour, but if we want to win, thats the only way. Case closed.

Roll out flatties or normals, our seamers will be OK without being devastating, the batting will be like NZ batting and India will win.

Boom, headshot.
I have only caught parts of the highlights but the fact that India bowled New Zealand out for 279 and now have them 75/3 must mean there is something in the pitch for the seamers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You've not seen New Zealand bat before?
:laugh:

Seriously, I think it does also show that the Indian medium pacers exploited the conditions well and while O'Brien and Martin bowled well, it wasn't enough to stop Sachin and company from puting up a big total. Frankly, but for Vettori's own bowling (and the below par Mills) I think the Kiwi bowlers did not do a bad job at all. Their batsmen are just not in the same league as the Indians and thats not a secret.

I think if Vettori had bowled better and with the usual brilliant fielding one has come to take from granted from Kiwis PLUS Fleming as captain (forget his batting), we would be looking at a closer contest than we are.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not for me. Oram comfortably with the bat and he is a better (or should say more economical) bowler than this current incarnation of Franklin, the non-swinging one. If Franklin doesn't score a run tomorrow then I'm not sure how he could keep his place given the way he has bowled since returning to test cricket.
Someone hasn't seen Franklin batting in first class this season, methinks. He's worked hard on his batting technique whilst he's been out injured and to me looks to have improved his technique leaps and bounds ahead of Oram. Oram's still going to belt the ball out of the park ahead of him, but this ain't a one-dayer.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Its time for Mills to go from the test team, he has been ineffective and expensive for the last 12 months, since that spell against England. Who to replace him? I dont know myself. Perhaps Arnell but that really means we have 3 number 11's so some batting is needed with OBrien and Martin and 10+11. I would bring back Jamie How, Guppy to 3, everybody slides down one, franklin swaps with McCullum.

1. How
2. McIntosh
3. Guptill
4. Flynn
5. Taylor
6. Ryder
7. McCullum
8. Franklin
9. Vettori
10. O Brien
11. Martin

It does unsettle the batting order a bit but I see enough bowling options in that team to help strengthen the batting.

Evermind

International Debutant
Its time for Mills to go from the test team, he has been ineffective and expensive for the last 12 months, since that spell against England. Who to replace him? I dont know myself. Perhaps Arnell but that really means we have 3 number 11's so some batting is needed with OBrien and Martin and 10+11. I would bring back Jamie How, Guppy to 3, everybody slides down one, franklin swaps with McCullum.

1. How
2. McIntosh
3. Guptill
4. Flynn
5. Taylor
6. Ryder
7. McCullum
8. Franklin
9. Vettori
10. O Brien
11. Martin

It does unsettle the batting order a bit but I see enough bowling options in that team to help strengthen the batting.
Taylor and Ryder - NZ's best batsmen by far - are batting way too low.

Evermind

International Debutant
A little too much self-deprecation from the Kiwis this whole series in their press statements. They're never this diffident and awestruck when dealing with the Australians - who have a similarly strong batting lineup - so why now?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Righto, so your saying they'll get to around 410 and I said 600 so I'll meet you half way and accept your avatar challenge based on the following conditions;

1)If India's first innings score is 505 or less, you win & if it's 506 or above it's mine

2)The avatar must be cricket related and must be set for a minimum 14 days:p

Are we on?
Evermind, I'll give you the choice between these two ....

2. http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/nm_cricket_070627_ssv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: