• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well, we don't need ANOTHER opening combination now do we? :unsure:

What about bringing Oram back as well..
Oram's not fit, so think we can count him out.

But TBH fiddling with the lineup is probably not going to change much. Really think the team is pretty close to the best lineup NZ can name, so just need them to perform a little better. And to not do abysmal things like drop catches. To compete well we need a little more luck to go our way too - things like mis-hits and edges from Tendulkar and co going to hand, no unfortunate dismissals like Flynn in the first innings, no bad umpire calls against us etc

Can and should drop Mills for the next match because he's so out of form and possibly still struggling with injury, but can see Southee/Patel/Arnel/whoever only being a minor improvement.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I havent seen it yet but reading some people here compare Sachin to a regular Michael Clarke is raising some alarm bells. I doubt it would've been that blatant.
It wasn't that bad! Crikey. It didn't look out, but at least it didn't bounce 6 inches in front of him and give him time to rotate his hands to push the ball into the ground. Some distance from good ole Mickey C.

God plays tricks too sometimes.
Not bad, not bad. :thumbsup:

Evermind

International Debutant
I think the comparisons between Ryder's non-catch and Tendulkar's catch are a touch mischievous. Upon the first replay, it was obvious the ball didn't carry to Ryder whereas even after 5-6 replays, I was uncertain as to whether Tendulkar took the ball on the full or not That said, it was a tad odd that the umpires chose to refer the first, but not the second.
I contend that it was Tendulkar's reputation that nudged the umpire in that direction.

Still, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
A certain Tim McIntosh might, though.

Anyway, predictions, folks? Win, lose or draw? Indian unlikely to lose it from here unless there's a Sydney-like debacle, but NZ do have a pretty deep batting lineup to avoid loss from hereon. Still, I'd put my money on India, if I really had to. It remains to be seen how the pitch behaves tomorrow and on day 5.

Evermind

International Debutant
Oram's not fit, so think we can count him out.

But TBH fiddling with the lineup is probably not going to change much. Really think the team is pretty close to the best lineup NZ can name, so just need them to perform a little better. And to not do abysmal things like drop catches. To compete well we need a little more luck to go our way too - things like mis-hits and edges from Tendulkar and co going to hand, no unfortunate dismissals like Flynn in the first innings, no bad umpire calls against us etc

Can and should drop Mills for the next match because he's so out of form and possibly still struggling with injury, but can see Southee/Patel/Arnel/whoever only being a minor improvement.
Was Tuffey also lost to the ICL? How about Gillespie?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill played some nice shots, but to be honest I wasn't that thrilled with him. He reminds me a bit of McCullum in the way he tries to play run scoring shots to almost every ball. He was actually a little lucky to survive as long as he did. Having said that he's more gifted than any opener I've seen play for us in quite a while. Hopefully he'll work on his concentration and discipline, and not go down McCullum's path.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mills and Franklin playing for their test careers (if Mills gets a chance to bowl in the second innings, that is).
Would agree with that. At the rate we go through openers, McIntosh will probably be playing for his career in the 2nd Test too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Who will Oram come in for if he was to play in Napier?

It would be harsh to drop Franklin after only one match. Will watch with interest on what Jimmy does with the bat tomorrow, or, hopefully, not until day 5 :dry: