• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Australia Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mustang said:
! I feel the weakest link in the batting lineup is between Ponting and Gilchrist. I think this needs to be replaced with Clarke, Lehmann,and Katich
So you say the weak link involves Katich, then select him?

Also Lehmann for Waugh I can understand, but Clarke for Martyn?!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Well it doesn't look too great that in his final test, Steve Waugh is digging Australia out of a dicey situation.
You reckon?

To me, it's quite a fitting end to his career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Steve Waugh is out and what a sign of respect from the crowd, Australian team and Indian team. That is what the game of cricket is all about.

*wipes tear*
Not as notable a cricketer, but I sure as hell hope Gary Kirsten gets a similar reception in the Final Test of his career...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
haha he was only in there for a few balls and he slipped, hardly self destructing, could have happened to anyone
Looks to me like he was talking about the series as whole, but I can understand that you cannot accept that any Australian may have been outplayed from your previous posts in this forum.

krkode

State Captain
marc71178 said:
You reckon?

To me, it's quite a fitting end to his career.
I thought so too. It would have been even more memorable if he won the game for his team. That, however, I would not like, but surely it is the most fitting end to any career that ends in tough victory like this could have. :P

krkode

State Captain
Looking at some of the earlier posts in this topic and some of the outrageously possible predictions early on, I feel happy things went this way. Great stuff from the Indians :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Not as notable a cricketer, but I sure as hell hope Gary Kirsten gets a similar reception in the Final Test of his career...
I don't think anyone got the reception which Waugh got. It also helped that the series was a tough one as it brought much more crowd in. It was just truely amazing.

krkode

State Captain
vishnureddy said:
I don't think anyone got the reception which Waugh got. It also helped that the series was a tough one as it brought much more crowd in. It was just truely amazing.
I don't think anyone ever will get such a send off.

Except maybe Tendulkar... :D

If you notice, people who get great send-offs have been around for a long time. Their position in their team is essentially a given because they're so good. Their last test match will be decided by them, not decided for them by their respective cricket boards (example: Prasad has probably played his last match. Sadly, that was decided for him by the selectors in India. He never got a send-off. He'll probably announce his retirement a couple of years from now and that'll go pretty soon, somewhat like Croft's recent retirement from International cricket. Tendulkar's won't be anywhere near as similar.)

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
arrhhhhhgggg im getting cricket withdrawal symptoms :( too use to watching late night cricket, spoilt! :) shame sky arent showing the NZ/Pak series too :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ I feel for you :(

If we are to have an official VB series topic stuck on top I think it'd be wise to create a new one rather than the other one which is clogged up with posts 2 months back. Especially those arrogant Aussie ones where they thought the series was a given ;)

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
anzac said:
congradulations to all for a memorable series in more ways than one...or two or three.......

not the least being a competitive drawn series with one win a piece (with the Aussies coming back from 0-1 down!!!)....

great batting performances from several players including Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Ponting, Katich.......

great bowling from Kumble..........

and not forgetting the last hurrah of one S Waugh........

Several Indian players came of age on this tour - sure they were already stars but they finally put to bed any questions about their ability on Aussie pitches etc - Dravid, Laxman, Kumble.....

The Aussies showed a great fighting spirit when faced with their biggest challenge for several seasons - a situation where they were missing their frontline bowling attack & go 0-1 down in the series, yet come back to be in a position to almost win the series....

:)
When did the Aussies looked to be in a position to win the series????:lol: :lol: :lol:

krkode

State Captain
rajat said:
When did the Aussies looked to be in a position to win the series????:lol: :lol: :lol:
It is understandable it may have looked that way right after Test match #3, when the series was 1-1.

After Day 1 of Match 4, though, it was looking all India ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
After Day 1 it looked like Australia were going to take the series? Jeese, you wonder why people call Aussie fans arrogant. The original posts of this topic prove that.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
After Day 1 it looked like Australia were going to take the series? Jeese, you wonder why people call Aussie fans arrogant. The original posts of this topic prove that.
Oh please...The Indian bowlers were wayward Agarkar was going at over 5, Khan at over 4, Nehra over 4, Harbajan close to 6. Langer got a ton, Martyn cruised to the twenties, it looked like Australia were going to rake up a mammoth total, Australia were 2/262 at the end of the first day after 62 overs - practically the score they would have been at tea had there been a full days play. Not exactly an uncomfortable position for Australia if you ask me.

It wasn't until the next morning when Khan finally got the ball in the right areas and used the pitch did they rip through Australia.

Trust me I was there for the entire test - including watching three and a half days of rain and it looked like it was going to be a typical Aussie summer after the first day.