• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

uvelocity

International Coach
Watching the highlights and almost as impressive, but certainly missed was davey's running between the wickets. Like lightning. Turned a few ones into twos beautifully. In particular one played down to Ishant at deep backward square, and a misfield at point where a dot became a two. Just unrelenting pressure.

And that drive smoked to the long off fence to Yadav. Wow. Wish nine put the reaction timer on for the fence on that one. under 4 seconds imo - avg speed over 70kph all along the carpet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a ****ing legend.

And what a dumbass sledge. Want to make it any more obvious that you've given up? There's still theoretically nine days of Test cricket in this series, you know...
Well, not just that, one wonders whether he has a right to be so confident even at home.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nice feeling for Dave Warner this morning I imagine. His battle with Sharma was the highlight of the session. Warner truly set out to disgrace Sharma after the jibes. Ran a couple of hard two's on Sharma fielding at deep square-leg, and then targeted him as soon as Sharma commenced bowling.

Entertaining stuff as a batsman has more to lose by playing the bully in these situations.

adub

International Captain
Have just watched Warner's innings in its entirety, and I could come on saying India bowled badly, while the pitch wasn't a road it was decent enough to bat on, etc, etc. I don't think that would be fair to David Warner who batted fantastically. He certainly contributed in a large way to India bowling poorly, he piled the pressure back on them and the margins for error must have felt absolutely minimal. Some of his shots were full of power and technically pretty good aswell.

I was sceptical about his inclusion for the Aussies in Test cricket, on the basis that he had played so little first-class cricket and I thought they had got carried with his entertaining cameos in T20 cricket. But his knock against NZ and this one today show that he really can be a player in this format. You couldn't not be impressed by him today, his courageous approach, energy between the wickets and exhilarating strokeplay.

Just to pick out a few of his shots today, I loved his lofted drive in Kumar's first over, timed beautifully and technically spot on. He pulled Kumar off a delivery slight back of a length and thrashed one through mid-off, think it was off Zaheer, may have been Yadav though. The one off Sharma had no right to go all the way, that was just a ball in a decent enough area and presumably because of the verbals he was pretty pumped to smash him around.

A word on Ed Cowan aswell. He showed a great temperament, was lucky to get away with the caught behind off his glove towards the end of the day, but was an excellent foil for Warner.

Don't think this is a time to speculate on what Warner may not achieve in his career, or in certain countries, and he cannot bat like this every innings. We should just enjoy a special knock today for what it was/is.
The thing with Warner was that those of use who'd been following him in Shield and FC were excited because he wasn't doing this for NSW or Aus A. Of course the potential always was there, but he was constructing innings, batting partnerships and generally scoring consistently since being elevated to opener. He'd been scoring at a good rate, but not outrageous. Hobart was much more the Warner we were expecting. In 5 tests now he's produced two classics. Hobart should prove that he can certainly score runs in England or any other place where there's swing, and now Perth proves that if the conditions are right he can do Gilchrist's old trick of taking the game away from you in a session.

He has to work on getting to 20 more consistently, but a guy in his 5th test opening in what have generally been pretty bowler friendly conditions is going to have that problem. But **** look out when he does get a start. Add the running, superb fielding and handy occasional leggies and he's going to get the turnstyles clicking over. He along with Patterson and Cummins are so so exciting.

Woodster

International Captain
The thing with Warner was that those of use who'd been following him in Shield and FC were excited because he wasn't doing this for NSW or Aus A. Of course the potential always was there, but he was constructing innings, batting partnerships and generally scoring consistently since being elevated to opener. He'd been scoring at a good rate, but not outrageous. Hobart was much more the Warner we were expecting. In 5 tests now he's produced two classics. Hobart should prove that he can certainly score runs in England or any other place where there's swing, and now Perth proves that if the conditions are right he can do Gilchrist's old trick of taking the game away from you in a session.

He has to work on getting to 20 more consistently, but a guy in his 5th test opening in what have generally been pretty bowler friendly conditions is going to have that problem. But **** look out when he does get a start. Add the running, superb fielding and handy occasional leggies and he's going to get the turnstyles clicking over. He along with Patterson and Cummins are so so exciting.
He obviously won't bat like he did yesterday all the time, but it is important that he can play that way, his natural way, and he has the confidence to do so. I wouldn't like to predict what he can or can't achieve in the future, but he's certainly had a fantastic start to his Test career.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Congrats to Warner, but I and every other kiwi will be hoping for an early exit today.

We don't have many records in international cricket. We still hold the one for 26 (damn you Nathan Lyon!); it would be nice to hang onto the quickest double-hundred for a wee while longer.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Warner didn't nick his first ball he must have thought there was a decent chance he'd get runs, jeez that's a jaffa.

adub

International Captain
Congrats to Warner, but I and every other kiwi will be hoping for an early exit today.

We don't have many records in international cricket. We still hold the one for 26 (damn you Nathan Lyon!); it would be nice to hang onto the quickest double-hundred for a wee while longer.
I think it will depend on the Indians. Warner will play what's presented. If they bowl tight to their fields he'll probably rein it in a little. But if he's presented with some pies he'll feast from ball 1. No doubt from the press conference he believes India have cracked and he'll be out to make sure they stay that way if he's given half a chance.

Sylvester

State Captain
I'd be surprised if he can get Astle's record. Not even Sehwag has come close to it and that guy dominates the fastest 200 list.

uvelocity

International Coach
Didn't give a chance though.

Streaky shot past point to get to 50, not to hand.
Inside edge past the stumps which could have gone anywhere.
Fell over on a yes/no from Cowman.
A few past the bat.
Struck of the pad a couple of times, rightly given not out

Pretty good for an opener on the first day with the green out there, and the beer residue in the pitch too :ph34r: