• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What a stupid yellow for Rice to pick up, although I'm sick of referees giving defenders fouls when they hit the deck.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just frustrating as there was an incident in the first half when Pedro kicked it away 30m but because it was in the first half it wasn’t a booking. How you can then just clean kick a guy and not get booked either? SMH.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Just frustrating as there was an incident in the first half when Pedro kicked it away 30m but because it was in the first half it wasn’t a booking. How you can then just clean kick a guy and not get booked either? SMH.
Yeah that similar incident with Joao Pedro came to my mind immediately as well, although was it from a throw rather than a free kick? Not that it matters a great deal. That said, I've never particularly been fond of the idea that just because a referee makes a ruling earlier in the game that is probably incorrect that they should stick to it for similar incidents later on for the sake of consistency.

Regardless, I feel like most of the time when you see incidents like Rice and Veltman the ref usually cards both players, the Rice one is obvious but for mine the ball was never stationary so Veltman didn't have the right to put his foot through it either and if he collects an opponent in doing so that's a yellow for him as well regardless of Rice's actions.

Jarquis

Yeah that similar incident with Joao Pedro came to my mind immediately as well, although was it from a throw rather than a free kick? Not that it matters a great deal. That said, I've never particularly been fond of the idea that just because a referee makes a ruling earlier in the game that is probably incorrect that they should stick to it for similar incidents later on for the sake of consistency.

Regardless, I feel like most of the time when you see incidents like Rice and Veltman the ref usually cards both players, the Rice one is obvious but for mine the ball was never stationary so Veltman didn't have the right to put his foot through it either and if he collects an opponent in doing so that's a yellow for him as well regardless of Rice's actions.
Yeah, I think it was from a throw. I’m also not saying that Rice shouldn’t have been booked for it, the consistency should be to have booked them both.
I also don’t think you can seriously say Veltman was trying to play the ball, as you say it was never stationary and he wasn’t even close to it. It wasn’t like Rice touched it as his leg was already swinging, he was just lashing out

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I can see why the ref gave it because it looked live like Rice had knocked away the ball in the middle of Veltman taking a free kick. But I don’t think that’s what really happened.

grecian

Not as bizarre as a League 1 team paying £15m for a striker.

Hope Exeter had a good sell on clause.
%20 apparently, not a bad couple of days, got in some sniny new players, made millions on Key and Stanno, Exeter win at Bolton, and Plymouth lose at Gnome park.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Rice red card is clearly karma for when Dennis Bergkamp got Laurent Robert sent off about twenty years ago in nearly identical circumstances.

I suspect @Pothas may remember this incident.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love how three years on and Man Utd still seem to be the only ones who haven't clocked that Casemiro is absolutely smoked.

Last edited: