• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit of a strange one, but I think where you view the action from makes a difference. Normally with Prem games you are getting 3rd tier gantry cams or are sitting in elevated stands, which does give a feeling of slickness to the game. Watching a lower league game live is done much nearer pitch level, and seeing a game at that angle looks more frentic and more of a sport rather than a production. Shots look more exciting when you can't quite tell how wide they were as they passed the post, likewise penalty area play just looks like a 15 man scramble from stood around the halfway line.

Going to see Trafford FC (thankfully the old man hasn't tried to drag me to watch Salford yet) can feel exciting, however having watched Morecambe from the directors box (giving a more elevated view), it just looks really, really **** football.
Yeah this is so true. The football I see at Brentford is in some ways almost unrecognisable from a few years ago but it is still in the same old ground and I am standing in exactly the same place. Has made these last few years the best I could hope for really. It will all change soon and no matter how good the new ground will be it just won't be the same.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sit front and centre on the side at Prenton Park and it’s amazing.

The quality is what it is, they’re my team. I wouldn’t have paid to watch many of the games in recent years if I was a neutral I don’t think, but there have been some belters.

andmark

International Captain
I imagine a good thing about supporting lower league teams is that you can actually get a ticket. The tickets for my club seem to sell out within minutes of going on sale, although that maybe an issue of a stadium too small for a club of its size.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I mean I have a season ticket and most away games are walk ups if you want them to be. I go to enough to aways be guaranteed an away ticket when supply is limited, eg the local games. The minute Tottenham came to down though, some people got complacent and wound up missing out.

Shame we can’t tap into that level of support more frequently as we’d flirt with the championship if we pulled five figure crowds.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
People have no doubt been saying this sort of thing for years of course. And I'm not saying I don't enjoy watching top level stuff, I evidently do. But I certainly don't have any great attachment to it. Nor do I really identify with it much these days.
This pretty accurately sums up how I feel about the Premier League and Arsenal now. Part of it is down to the renewed enthusiasm for all things Rangers this season and the feeling that we've finally turned a corner, but there's also just a complete apathy when it comes to the Premier League now.

I don't think I've watched a single episode of MOTD this season. I still watch the Champions League shows when it's on, and desperately miss Serie A being on BT Sport, but other than a few top flight French games (Lyon have been good fun to watch this season) and the odd Bundesliga game, I've barely paid any attention to top flight football this season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The absolute final nail in the coffin for me was the end of Wenger. He was the last link to the days when I really loved Arsenal/football and genuinely cared deeply about the team/sport.

It's a feeling that faded as I got older. Partly because I just got older and realised caring about a bunch of blokes in fancy PE kits running around a field wasn't really that important, but partly because I became conscious that many of the things I liked about it were beginning to fade away. As more and more players I cared about left and went away the less I felt attached to everything.

I've said it before, but by the end, and for the last few years before the end, I was more of a Wenger fan than an Arsenal fan. I will always support Arsenal, can't just stop caring completely. but I can't see myself ever being invested with them like I once was.

I think the last season I really cared about was the 2011/2012 one. Probably one of the worst seasons for Arsenal (up to that point anyway) since I had started being a fan objectively speaking, with a pretty iffy squad and loads of gaps, but I loved it and was so into it. Beating City 1-0 when Arteta belted in the winner from 30 yards late on, Henry making his comeback and scoring against Leeds, Van Persie being amazing, beating Spurs 4-2 after being 2-0 down. Gosh it was an exciting year.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So weird as well that despite being relatively recent in my mind, the 2011/2012 season was now nearly a decade ago. Dire.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
The 2011/12 season was just so gun across the board. Not sure they'll ever be a better top flight European season.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
The 2011/12 season was just so gun across the board. Not sure they'll ever be a better top flight European season.
Prem: Amazing title race with probably the greatest end to a top flight season in English football history. Loads of stupidly high scoring big matches and a crazy race for the CL spots by the North London clubs.
La Liga: Mourinho's Madrid ending Pep's dominance in Spain with 100 points and the La Liga goal record.
Bundesliga: Dortmund retain the title and thrash Bayern in the cup final.
Serie A: Juventus dynasty begins with Conte going unbeaten in his first season, reviving players like Pirlo in the process.
Ligue 1: Montpellier come from mid-table to beat newly Qatar owned PSG to the title.
CL: Chelsea finally win it with their worst team of the Abramovich era, defying the odds in multiple rounds, after going so close a number of times before.

I'm probably missing/can't remember a lot of stuff as well. Was much more into cricket than football back then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was just prodding.

RE Cab how can an Arsenal fan say the end to 11-12 is the greatest ever? Gopher blasphemy that surely?

andmark

International Captain
I'm biased here, but yeah I have to go with 2005 for obvious reasons. Winning the Champions League and a final which might be the greatest match of all time is too much.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm biased here, but yeah I have to go with 2005 for obvious reasons. Winning the Champions League and a final which might be the greatest match of all time is too much.
Doesn't beat winning a league title in the last 2 mins of the season because Celtic **** the bed.