• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes but it didn’t involve Arsenal. And he said greatest ever

Definitely a case of 1992 syndrome

Not that you can’t think City’s was better - but surely not as an Arsenal fan

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Think it's more of a case of "seeing it live" syndrome in Cabinet's case which was more my point.

Which tbf is kinda like 92 syndrome.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was it just me who particularly enjoyed Foden's first goal because the state of the pitch came back to bite Newport on the arse?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

It's definitely the best ending to an English season I can remember, and the first season I remember following was 1991/92.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's kind of ironic, but none of the most exciting ends to seasons (for me anyway) have been ones in which Arsenal have won the title.

The wins in 1998, 2002 and 2004 were all great for various reasons. Adams' goal against Everton, winning the title at Old Trafford, going unbeaten and winning the league at White Hart Lane etc. But none of those were especially exciting.

The most exciting races directly involving Arsenal were the ones where they bottled it. E.g. 1999 and 2003.

2012 was great across the whole division though. Like cabinet says, it was interesting not only at the top, but the race for the top 4 was really intense that year.

Uppercut

2011/12 was also the year when everyone tried to copy Barcelona with very mixed results, and so big games were finishing with scores like 5-3 and 8-2. It really did have everything.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I put 2012 ahead of 89 with some weird logic. The end to 89 was amazing but it's an end you get quite a lot in cup competitions. Victorious team beats the losing team with a last minute goal. I guess the fact a 9 month league season had a cup final scenario makes it amazing in itself but it still wasn't a unique scenario. 2012 was extra amazing for me because United finished their game top of the league, only for a goal in another game a few seconds later to slip them down to second. It just increased the number of games you had to follow and factors you had to take into account during the final minutes of the season.

Uppercut

Ehh, I see what you're saying but one goal changing the competition winner is very rare in cup competitions, can only happen in a two-legged final with away goals. The rest of the time there's extra time or penalties.

For me '89 would be like if Aguero had won it with a last-minute goal against United at Old Trafford.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You can be a fan of something and still have objective opinions.
Yeah i guess so, and the explanation he’s just posted makes sense too.

For me 89 is probably better for the reasons Cabinet prefers 2012. That Cup final element of it that you don’t get in title races.

Both great anyway. My dad still rages about 89 now and there’s a bit of a parallel unfolding with the United one - regained the title the following year before slipping into a decline which made his resentment of what happened all the deeper.

vcs

2008-09 was good, with the two best teams in Europe meeting in the CL final. Was also hilarious to see Chelsea robbed by the ref in that semifinal.

andmark

International Captain
"You're getting sacked in the morning" being sung at Stamford Bridge. I'd like to know whether there were any Chelsea fans singing or whether it's just the exceptional United away support. Edit: the United fans are singing a song with a tune which mixes the Stone Roses songs "Elephant Stone" and "Waterfall". Biblical.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
What a ruthless institution Chelsea Football Club are. In comparison I imagine we'll still have the Basque Moyes in charge by next spring.

Uppercut

You hear a lot about the players not trying for him, but when you look at their team it's hard to figure out which players that's supposed to be referring to. They're all either Sarri signings, being played out of position, or just not especially good. I guess it could mean Hazard, though he spent a long time out of position too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The biggest sign that it's over is the fact that Sarri himself seems to be resigned to it imo. Bloke's talking in pressers about how nobody is motivated etc. Writing on the wall right there.

I had thought he would make it to the end of the year, but one or two more iffy results and he'll be gone I should imagine.