• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If McClaren hadn't achieved what he had at Middlesbrough given the amount of resources he had to throw around it would have been a real failure. I'd wager most managers would have done as good a job if they had the backing he did.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Near certain relegation? Not how I remember it...

But yeah, he's a decent manager. Less likeable than most other decent managers because he blames everyone else for his faults but still more likeable than clowns like Steve McClaren, David O'Leary and John Barnes.
Cause Ferugson has never done that has he?

Nearly all managers do it to some degree but Alardyce and Ferguson are amoung the worst.

There is a big difference between respect and like though, I certainly respect him but he has never been particulalry likable, don't hate him as much as others do though. Always loved Mourinho and Wenger though even though they can both be bloody irritating at times. Hodgson my favourite manager in the Premiership for sure, how could he not be when he says 'baptism of fire' when giving a press conferance in Norwegian.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fergie does it all the time yeah. He's one of the greatest managers of all time though. I find it hard to hate people who are all-time greats at what they do. I find successful sportspeople infinitely more likeable than unsuccessful ones.

In retirement it'll all be forgiven, just as it was with Brian Clough.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty close to it when Ince was sacked. IIRC we were 19th and 2 wins deep in the relegation zone. We had lost 6 on the trot and we were looking like headless chickens all over the park. It would have been brave to suggest we were going to get out of that with Ince at the helm. I think near certainties isn't too far off tbh.

cpr

International Coach
If McClaren hadn't achieved what he had at Middlesbrough given the amount of resources he had to throw around it would have been a real failure. I'd wager most managers would have done as good a job if they had the backing he did.
Only manager they've had who has though. Mind when the competition is Robson and Southgate......

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fergie does it all the time yeah. He's one of the greatest managers of all time though. I find it hard to hate people who are all-time greats at what they do. I find successful sportspeople infinitely more likeable than unsuccessful ones.

In retirement it'll all be forgiven, just as it was with Brian Clough.
There is a certain truth in that, there are certainly some sportspeople I find it impossible not to like, but that for me is more when I can actually watch them do something extraordinary like Christiano Ronaldo say, who when reached a point of brilliance that I found it impossible not to like him. Does not for me work quite the same way for managers though, although obviously if they bring sucess to your club then it is going to make a big difference.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty close to it when Ince was sacked. IIRC we were 19th and 2 wins deep in the relegation zone. We had lost 6 on the trot and we were looking like headless chickens all over the park. It would have been brave to suggest we were going to get out of that with Ince at the helm. I think near certainties isn't too far off tbh.
Just because Ince would have taken you down doesn't mean you were anything like certainties tbf. I'm pretty sure the bookies still had you as underdogs for the drop, the players were way above relegation standard.

Not to take anything away from Fat Sam, he did a good job.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because Ince would have taken you down doesn't mean you were anything like certainties tbf. I'm pretty sure the bookies still had you as underdogs for the drop, the players were way above relegation standard.
AWTA. Was suggesting that we were certainties with Ince at the helm.

Craig

World Traveller
Reading an article on soccernet this morning and it was about the Scottish and England team to play each other in a friendly and each other in more then a decade. The SFA and the FA seemed keen to organise a match, but both keep mentioning tight scheduling and how tough it is to organise a date. Wouldn't logic be that to look into the future fixture lists when neither team is due to play an international andj ust agree to play each other then? Don't see what is so hard about it.

Craig

World Traveller
And Lucas Neill has left Everton after four months and 15 games for the Toffees and decided to join Harry Kewell at Galatasaray for £750,000. Neill has signed an 18-month contract with Galatasaray.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Only manager they've had who has though. Mind when the competition is Robson and Southgate......
Southgate showed he was totally inept in the transfer market I suppose, at least the players McClaren purchased were proven to be effective in either the premiership or other top european leagues, unlike Alfonso Alves and Marvin Emnes, who perhaps unsurprisingly turned out to be totally substandard. A shame, as Southgate always struck me as a very honest and nice chap and I always quite liked him, much more as a manager than I ever did as a player.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
And Lucas Neill has left Everton after four months and 15 games for the Toffees and decided to join Harry Kewell at Galatasaray for £750,000. Neill has signed an 18-month contract with Galatasaray.
Genius from Moyes. We're stupidly short on defenders atm (have been using Hibbert and Neill as centre backs ffs) so Moyes decides to sell a defender who's done a decent job and only managed to bring Landon Donovan in so far, to aid our non-existing striker issues given we've currently got Saha, Yakubu, Jo, Anichebe, Vaughan and Baxter. Buy some defenders ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah well a Triumph for ITV, they didn't go to an ad as the winner went in.....
That never happened where I was watching, remember reading about it the next day though :laugh:

But yeah, he's a decent manager. Less likeable than most other decent managers because he blames everyone else for his faults but still more likeable than clowns like Steve McClaren, David O'Leary and John Barnes.
Phew, well done

Correct. Far too good for League 1.
Ah thank God you're here to show me the error of my ways 8-)

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Tbh Lucas Neil will have been on sky high wages anyway and we've made a profit on him. besides, he's not even that good anymore. Moyes obviously realises that Distin and Jagielka are coming back and we don't need him anymore. I reckon Moyes has already got his replacement sorted anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Liverpool out of Champions League
Liverpool out of Carling Cup
Liverpool out of FA Cup
Liverpool out of title race

FFS.

:ph34r: