• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think he's that bad, but you're right, he's very overated, and an illogical buy when you consider they had Arbeloa last year who was extremely consistant over the course of the season and one of their best players.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
PFA RB of the year remember? He's not Dani Alves but he is not ****. A good player and was bought in large part due to his aggresive instincts in attack as well as being English.

I would have wanted to keep Arbeloa, but like Alonso he wanted to go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
PFA RB of the year remember? He's not Dani Alves but he is not ****. A good player and was bought in large part due to his aggresive instincts in attack as well as being English.

I would have wanted to keep Arbeloa, but like Alonso he wanted to go.
One get's the feeling that it was entirely due to him being English tbh, with champions league quotas etc... Personally I would wager that if Arbeloa was English he would still be at the club, but obviously this is a moot point.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
One get's the feeling that it was entirely due to him being English tbh, with champions league quotas etc... Personally I would wager that if Arbeloa was English he would still be at the club, but obviously this is a moot point.
I'd actually agree with you. He wanted to fill the English quota for CL and wanted a more marauding RB so he killed two birds with one stone. Arbeloa was very good though and his performances didn't warrant a replacement.

Craig

World Traveller
D-Day as to whether or not Wesley Sneijder joins Inter apparently. Still have a few extra centre backs, mid-fielders (Patrick Vieria being one of them), and a couple of strikers to let go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd actually agree with you. He wanted to fill the English quota for CL and wanted a more marauding RB so he killed two birds with one stone. Arbeloa was very good though and his performances didn't warrant a replacement.
Mmm, probably right, I think for what Johnson makes up going forward though, he loses at the back, in terms of comparison to Arbeloa at any rate. Jury is out though I suppose, hasn't really ever had a sustained run at a top side, so we'll see I guess.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Did I miss something here, thought that was binned years ago due to being illegal? Genuine question.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did I miss something here, thought that was binned years ago due to being illegal? Genuine question.
There's a squad quota. It was the reason Sami Hyypia didn't make the squad last season if you remember?

It's probably illegal too, but it's such a minor obstruction no one can be arsed to challenge it.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guess you've never played Champions League on FM then :p

If it's to believed, registered squad has to have at least 4 players developed at your club, and at least 8 in the clubs nation.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wondering who our qualifying players are? Guess guys like Cesc & Bendtner count towards the quota tho as they came over at such an early age. IIRC it's 3 years before 21st birthday.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Guess you've never played Champions League on FM then :p

If it's to believed, registered squad has to have at least 4 players developed at your club, and at least 8 in the clubs nation.
There's a squad quota. It was the reason Sami Hyypia didn't make the squad last season if you remember?

It's probably illegal too, but it's such a minor obstruction no one can be arsed to challenge it.
I remember that rule now you mention it. It's not exactly what I had in mind when I read "English CL quota" because it's worded carefully to keep it legal

IIRC players below a certain age don't have to be included in the 25 but can still play, worked wonders for me when I had Lionel Morgan destroying right-backs for Newcastle

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wondering who our qualifying players are? Guess guys like Cesc & Bendtner count towards the quota tho as they came over at such an early age. IIRC it's 3 years before 21st birthday.
Yeah, they are both "English" for the purposes of the rule, which just highlights how stupid the whole thing is. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Is this the same PFA who gave Ryan Giggs player of the season? I rest my case.
LOL yeh, I know. But Johnson didn't build up a career's worth of sympathy. He won't be universally lauded the best anything but he is pretty decent and as sledge said he may step up now that he'll get a good run in a top side.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Celtic were so poor. All they had was square passes (Michael Carrick would fit right in), just Championship standard football.

Wenger had to be diplomatic pre-game and pay homage, never surrender et cetera but he must have had a chuckle after the game. Kids time next week.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Celtic were so poor. All they had was square passes (Michael Carrick would fit right in), just Championship standard football.

Wenger had to be diplomatic pre-game and pay homage, never surrender et cetera but he must have had a chuckle after the game. Kids time next week.
Should put the kids out, but doubt he will. Too much on it. Anyway giving Celtic the likes of Wilshire, Vela and Ramsey whom they could bully with their hoofing maybe the only way they could win. I could see a few coming on at half-time when they're about 6-0 up on aggregate though.

Carrick would be a superstar in the SPL, which kind of sums it up really....