• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GOOD convincing win by Lanchashire, only disappointment was that their was no flintoff fireworks but overall good allround performance by everyone else.

but the shocking thing was to see Keedy outbowl the great MURALI :huh: and get more wickets than him. Keedy showed blame his batting for him not being in the england side he has been taking alot of wickets in county cricket for a while now.

I reckon with some inproved batting he could be a the best back up to giles on our sub-continent tours this winter, since he surely is the best spinner on the county circuit

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
GOOD convincing win by Lanchashire, only disappointment was that their was no flintoff fireworks but overall good allround performance by everyone else.

but the shocking thing was to see Keedy outbowl the great MURALI :huh: and get more wickets than him. Keedy showed blame his batting for him not being in the england side he has been taking alot of wickets in county cricket for a while now.

I reckon with some inproved batting he could be a the best back up to giles on our sub-continent tours this winter, since he surely is the best spinner on the county circuit
Don't know how you can so conclusively rate Keedy over Ash, but personally batting or not Id have him as second spinner in the subcontinent. We will only play two of Jones, Harmison and Hoggard so one rabbit replacing another won't affect the batting.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
More'n a bit...

D'oh. Apologies to all the rest of the Warwickshire team. You'd really think Piper would know a damn sight better than that.
You would think he would have learnt from last time, or from Wagg or wasn't Giddins at Warwicks as well when he got caught?

From a Kent point of view I'll just like to say we would have beaten Warwicks if it hadn't been for Piper! - Had he not taken drugs and they replaced him with Frost, we could have bought those champs back down to size :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
We've played a number of 2nd team players, but still its a pathetic attempt at so called cricket! :-O
Against a UCCE side, playing 2nd XI players is not an excuse.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
You would think he would have learnt from last time, or from Wagg or wasn't Giddins at Warwicks as well when he got caught?

From a Kent point of view I'll just like to say we would have beaten Warwicks if it hadn't been for Piper! - Had he not taken drugs and they replaced him with Frost, we could have bought those champs back down to size :D
I think Giddins was at Sussex when he got banned then moved to Warks when his ban ended. (Warks seem to have a thing for druggies!*).

[SIZE=--3]*ooo controversial![/SIZE]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
As shown by his 24 wickets at 17 in April?

Oh I forget, that was Giles that did that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:
You would think he would have learnt from last time, or from Wagg or
wasn't Giddins at Warwicks as well when he got caught?
As Space said, he only joined us after his ban.

Rich2001 said:
Nope, Piper is only on an OD contract this year, so Frost's return to fitness meant he was playing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't flatter them.

It was actually 0-3, the "rookie" trio of Peters, Moore and Smith all blobs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
As shown by his 24 wickets at 17 in April?

Oh I forget, that was Giles that did that.
i wasn't refering that statement to Giles performance this season, Giles hasn't played for warwickshire for a while & during that period Keedy has definately been the best spinner on the county circuit.

So basically behind Gilo he is the next spinner in England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think he'll ever play for England in all honesty - cricket is about more than just being one-skilled.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't think he'll ever play for England in all honesty - cricket is about more than just being one-skilled.
If that the case then how come other people make the England side who are as bad with the bat as him. The guy does have a FC fifty to his name so his not a complete rabbit. If England had a better lower order then he would make the squad and maybe even the starting line infront of guys like Batty, Dawson, Swann and Croft. There are many guys that make Test sides on the back of one skill and so would Keedy, if it weren't for the make up of the other guys in the side. Not too many bowlers win games cus of their batting at 8 or 9, they win games on the back of their bowling.

shaka

International Regular
Streak is bowling quite economically at the moment, 10 overs for 15 runs for Warwickshire against Sussex

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
If that the case then how come other people make the England side who are as bad with the bat as him. The guy does have a FC fifty to his name so his not a complete rabbit. If England had a better lower order then he would make the squad and maybe even the starting line infront of guys like Batty, Dawson, Swann and Croft. There are many guys that make Test sides on the back of one skill and so would Keedy, if it weren't for the make up of the other guys in the side. Not too many bowlers win games cus of their batting at 8 or 9, they win games on the back of their bowling.
The guys that bat as bad as him are pace bowlers who'll nearly always bowl a big chunk of the overs, unlike a finger spinner who isn't in the game a lot of the time - when England tour in Asia he might be involved enough that his batting can be overlooked somewhat.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
The guys that bat as bad as him are pace bowlers who'll nearly always bowl a big chunk of the overs, unlike a finger spinner who isn't in the game a lot of the time - when England tour in Asia he might be involved enough that his batting can be overlooked somewhat.
What do you mean spinners bowl more overs then quicks???

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
What do you mean spinners bowl more overs then quicks???
Occasionally they do (last year was a bit of a freak with the way the pitches were and England having 4 pace bowlers spreading the workload a bit more thinly than normal). But the pace bowlers are nearly always in the game with the opportunity to get a match turning 5-for as opposed to Giles or any finger spinner who at most is gonna nick a few out from stupid shots in the first/second innings.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Occasionally they do (last year was a bit of a freak with the way the pitches were and England having 4 pace bowlers spreading the workload a bit more thinly than normal). But the pace bowlers are nearly always in the game with the opportunity to get a match turning 5-for as opposed to Giles or any finger spinner who at most is gonna nick a few out from stupid shots in the first/second innings.
Spinners can also get 5-for 8-), and their also always in the game if the captain uses then right, as a wicket taking option, not a defensive option like Hussain used Giles and other spinners.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
IMO the three spinners on the winter tour should be Giles, Keedy, Swann in that order. The selectors will choose Giles, Batty, Swann almost certainly.

My Test Side:

Tresco
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Harmison
Keedy

Reserves: Key, Jones, Swann and for want of a better option Collingwood.

ODI:

Tresco
Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Read
Giles
Swann
+2 pacers who aren't spraying it all over the shop at the time