• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Physical gifts and technique are linked and it is a complicated relationship.

Talent can only be expressed as freely as the technique allows. Collingwood has a very limited technique with a short backlift that doesnt make the most of his considerable gifts. Doesnt mean they dont exist.

Few without Collingwoods talents could make his technique successful.

Expressed rather basically, the better the technique the more efficient usage of the ability and gifts. Collingwood has a far less efficient method of mining more considerable ability for roughly the same output as Bell.

I know Bell looks 'nice' but Im not sure you will find many that interact with them that would say Bell is more physically gifted.
Well, suffice to say I disagree and I'm not alone. Mike Selvey said of the two in the Guardian before the 2nd test:

which to drop? Bell, the obvious one, with the sublime game but a mentality so flabby that it might require liposuction? Or Paul Collingwood, with his limited skills but strong will?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I will go all Richard here and bemoan the fact that Harmison, with some piss poor bowling, gets the breakthrough.

As for the Bell vs Collingwood debate, Bell would average mid 50s if he had even half of Collingwood's mental strength and talent.

Woodster

International Captain
Good day made better with the dismissal of Gayle towards the end, when despite looking very unsettled with a couple of deliveries that displayed more than little indifferent bounce, he looked his usual dangerous self. Just felt if he got to 30 or 40 he may settle down and be more selective in his attacking strokes. Devon Smith played a solid role, didn't play at anything he didn't need to and can build upon it tomorrow.

As for the England attack, Flintoff was unlucky, got a few to rise worryingly for WI batsmen, while Harmy showed a bit more fire, visibly buoyed by the wicket of Gayle, although not a typical quick man's wicket, being thumped to wide mid-off! And he was quick in parts of his brief spell, hitting the 90mph mark, which is encouraging.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do people think this England attack has what it takes to bowl the West Indies out twice here? Because I still firmly believe their bowling is quite easily their stronger suit, but they've failed to take wickets on fairly flat decks a fair few times recently. Thoughts?

Woodster

International Captain
Do people think this England attack has what it takes to bowl the West Indies out twice here? Because I still firmly believe their bowling is quite easily their stronger suit, but they've failed to take wickets on fairly flat decks a fair few times recently. Thoughts?
I think we do have the attack to bowl WI out, the signs with regards the pitch look encouraging from an England perspective, also the pressure that such a big 1st innings score brings will be a problem for WI. I don't doubt in Shiv, Sarwan, and a few of the others, they have a line-up that may prolong England's search for 20 wickets, but I do think there's enough time in this Test for us to get 20 wicks.

Freddie's length on the half way line will undoubtedly create some uncertainty and I think Swann will get some purchase from this track also. Very confident at the minute.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, for me, it's all about the pitch, if it carries on degrading like it has done, then we should win this. If it reverts to the first day or/and loses it's pace then I don't see us getting out Chanders/Nash/Sarwan twice with this attack.

ozone

First Class Debutant
TBH, with 3 days to pick up 19 wickets, we should manage it on a pitch which seems likley only to get worse. And with the fact that we've already got Gayle, the one player who I think can take them past the follow-on total within a relatively short space of time, it should give England the best chance of bowling them out tommorow short of the follow-on score.

Woodster

International Captain
Ok, are there any circumstances where anyone thinks England will not enforce the follow-on should they get themselves in a position to do so ?