• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He's really not, you know. Collingwood has the mind stuff sorted, but no game at all to speak of.
His footwork and balance, his hand-eye coords and hand speed are a different class. Its his technique that is ugly. His technique cages his natural gifts.

He is far more blessed than Bell physicaly and mentally but is hindered technically.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
What about Butler...whats he like? Gone well this year and has a decent FC record...so of course he was picked for ODI's in the past despite a poor OD record. Left arm swing bowler according to his profile...a bit like Collins? 17@20.76 this year in a spin dominated competition

shivfan

Banned
These are Lawson's stats for Jamaica in 2008....

JJC Lawson 3 55.4 3 223 9 5/41 8/102 24.77 4.00 37.1 1 0

Considering that he was bowling to the poor batsmen that make up a lot of Caribbean teams, the average of 24 could be considered poor returns!
:laugh:
Taylor, Odean Brown, Nikita Miller, and even Darren Powell finished with better bowling averages....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His footwork and balance, his hand-eye coords and hand speed are a different class. Its his technique that is ugly. His technique cages his natural gifts.

He is far more blessed than Bell physicaly and mentally but is hindered technically.
Honestly don't know how you can say his footwork is better than Bell's; for all his brain farts Bell is almost pedantically textbook correct in his batting. It's why he's been perserved with for so long.

Woodster

International Captain
Couple of wickets before the close will top off a very nice day for England. Not too often in recent times we can sit back after a very dominant day and enjoy the highlights.

Hoping that Harmy and Freddie show a real bit of aggression, despite the track being just a touch docile.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
These are Lawson's stats for Jamaica in 2008....

JJC Lawson 3 55.4 3 223 9 5/41 8/102 24.77 4.00 37.1 1 0

Considering that he was bowling to the poor batsmen that make up a lot of Caribbean teams, the average of 24 could be considered poor returns!
:laugh:
Taylor, Odean Brown, Nikita Miller, and even Darren Powell finished with better bowling averages....
Considering that the season lasted fewer than 8 games and he played 3 while the others played more......

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly don't know how you can say his footwork is better than Bell's; for all his brain farts Bell is almost pedantically textbook correct in his batting. It's why he's been perserved with for so long.
Again you are mixing technique with physical gifts. Collingwood gets into position for certain shots quicker than most.

I dont doubt Bell is technicaly strong (I agree) but your statement was that he was more gifted. He isnt. He just has a better (more traditional) technique.

I stand by what I said over 2 years ago

His reflexes and agility are incredible.

He is half man, half cat, zero backlift.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Again you are mixing technique with physical gifts. Collingwood gets into position for certain shots quicker than most.

I dont doubt Bell is technicaly strong (I agree) but your statement was that he was more gifted. He isnt. He just has a better (more traditional) technique.
Completely disagree. Just don't think there's a case to answer. Never seen such a thing even suggested in any quarter.

More broadly, I don't you can neatly divide "technique" & "talent" as you seem to imagine either. The latter informs the former. A player can hone his technique, but if the talent isn't there he'll never be able to make batting look as effortless as the truly blessed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apologies to those not listening to TMS, but sometimes CMJ is such an idiot. After Anderson has beaten an outside edge in each of his first 3 overs, plus almost had Gayle caught at mid-off, apparently England need to try someone else because he also sent a couple towards leg.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Completely disagree. Just don't think there's a case to answer. Never seen such a thing even suggested in any quarter.

More broadly, I don't you can neatly divide "technique" & "talent" as you seem to imagine either. The latter informs the former. A player can hone his technique, but if the talent isn't there he'll never be able to make batting look as effortless as the truly blessed.
Physical gifts and technique are linked and it is a complicated relationship.

Talent can only be expressed as freely as the technique allows. Collingwood has a very limited technique with a short backlift that doesnt make the most of his considerable gifts. Doesnt mean they dont exist.

Few without Collingwoods talents could make his technique successful.

Expressed rather basically, the better the technique the more efficient usage of the ability and gifts. Collingwood has a far less efficient method of mining more considerable ability for roughly the same output as Bell.

I know Bell looks 'nice' but Im not sure you will find many that interact with them that would say Bell is more physically gifted.

Last edited: