• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
So for second test what batting order do we go if Ali comes back in? I'd suggest Stokes and Ali before Buttler. Buttler is going to be better working with the tail that Stokes or Ali. Ali and Stokes are better first class bats than Buttler also so should bat higher than him. Probably go with Stokes at 6 and Ali 7 if picking on short term form.

Might get the 6.Stokes, 7.Ali, 8.Buttler, 9.Woakes, 10.Broad, 11.Anderson lower order for the ashes.
I don't mind Ali batting a bit lower. His batting so far in tests hasn't actually been that great - he didn't even get a fifty v India - and he probably wouldn't make the side if he bowled seam instead of spin. It's his spin bowling which is the thing that makes him picked, so in some way if you put him down the order it sort of emphasises the point. Also, if you're not batting Stokes and Woakes at 8 or 9 or whatever, people might get less stroppy when they're not as good at bowling as Broad and Anderson.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd order the middle-lower order essentially in terms of likelihood of tonning up once set. The biggest disadvantage of batting too low is that you can end up with a wasted start.

So that'd be an order of Moeen, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, for mine.

I probably wouldn't actually play both Stokes and Woakes though.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah they won't. It's a straight battle between Stokes and Woakes for the number 8 (may not actually bat 8) 4th seamer role for the summer. Stokes has probably snuck ahead with runs this test.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So for second test what batting order do we go if Ali comes back in? I'd suggest Stokes and Ali before Buttler. Buttler is going to be better working with the tail that Stokes or Ali. Ali and Stokes are better first class bats than Buttler also so should bat higher than him. Probably go with Stokes at 6 and Ali 7 if picking on short term form.

Might get the 6.Stokes, 7.Ali, 8.Buttler, 9.Woakes, 10.Broad, 11.Anderson lower order for the ashes.
Might do. I'm still wondering why Rashid didn't get a place in this game ahead of Tredwell, as the former might conceivably have something to offer whereas the latter almost certainly won't. And I'd like us to have some idea before July. But agreed about Stokes vs Jordan.

The top of the order is the bigger worry though, and the decision to promote Trott didn't look any better yesterday than when it was first mooted.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Not sure what they hope to gain by opening with Trott. Do they really think Trott and Cook will work vs NZ and the Aussies? Must be short term thinking. They want a look a don't rate WI. If they are intent on him playing then he probably displaces Ballance or they move Root again.

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
So time for the slogging to start I guess

And yes comms team we are subjected to such crazy advertisements on a regular basis.

Also I hate Bopara