• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
but the zero tolerance approach has gone totally out of hand. Players seemingly can't say anything these days without being fined. 100% of his match fee?! Ridiculous.
Harsh yes, but it might teach Vaughan to stop complaining about anything and everything every 5 minutes, a habit which has tainted many peoples opinions on him since he became captain.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
S.Africa will be a tad disappointed. Can't see them winning from here unless they score quick runs tomorrow and England collapse. Looks like they will have to look to the last test at Centurion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anderson's wicket of Boucher is just about the most undeserved wicket I have seen in a long time. He was bowling absolutely garbage.

Regarding Vaughan, cricket is run by fascists.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think it's ridiculous how the Vaughan "situation" was handled. Not only was he fully justified in what he said, but the zero tolerance approach has gone totally out of hand. Players seemingly can't say anything these days without being fined. 100% of his match fee?! Ridiculous.
You're not wrong. I just read about this, and I still can't believe it. Even worse, his comments were more implications than literal criticisms.

In twenty years or so, the cricketing world will probably regard this era of the game's administration as being completely absurd.

Mr Mxyzptlk

a massive zebra said:
Harsh yes, but it might teach Vaughan to stop complaining about anything and everything every 5 minutes, a habit which has tainted many peoples opinions on him since he became captain.
He was hardly complaining. He was commenting on the light. Batsmen appeal to the umpires for light all the time and don't get reprimanded. A captain who has to bat against quality pace bowling in the light makes a comment or two and is forced to win a Test for no pay.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
On the evidence of this series, yes they will.
this series actually sums it up perfectly, harmison was really our only strike bowler, jones on the rare occasions that he bowled well was too. hoggard and flintoff are simply the sort of bowlers who'll get 3/60 odd. not bad but not devastating.

wils333

Cricket Spectator
This is probably in wrong thread, but surely Jones's two drops in this match could be finally regarded as 'significant'?? He dropped one of the worlds most dangearous batsmen, and whilst he only got a twenty or so more, still fairly crucial, same with the tailender he dropped, just as England want to asssert some authority, he does that!! Why o' why can someone not help him with his keeping!! lol

Zinzan

tooextracool said:
this series actually sums it up perfectly, harmison was really our only strike bowler, jones on the rare occasions that he bowled well was too. hoggard and flintoff are simply the sort of bowlers who'll get 3/60 odd. not bad but not devastating.

3/60 gives an average of 20 :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wils333 said:
This is probably in wrong thread, but surely Jones's two drops in this match could be finally regarded as 'significant'?? He dropped one of the worlds most dangearous batsmen, and whilst he only got a twenty or so more, still fairly crucial, same with the tailender he dropped, just as England want to asssert some authority, he does that!! Why o' why can someone not help him with his keeping!! lol
It was a pretty regulation chance too. Hoggy was up & screaming @ Bucknor for the catch til the ump nodded in Jones's direction.

Jones owes us some very serious runs very shortly. :@

Some of Vaughan's field placings were, at best, questionable. No second slip to Boje when he edged & no gully for Ntini when a thick edge went right to where the traditional gully stands.

No Graeme Smith to lead the Saffies on the field, he's got mild concussion after wearing one in practice this morning. Guess that makes Boje skip.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty happy to get to lunch after that session.

Assuming Harmy is crocked for the 5th (& even if he isn't there's a case for dropping him on form anyway) I wonder what team we'll put out? If Vaughan suddenly doesn't fancy Giles's bowling (he was criminally underbowled in the first innings) I think there's a case for dropping him, moving Fred down to 7 & playing Collingwood or Bell. Ideally I'd say Pietersen as he could help Vaughan out should any spin be required, but he's not in the squad unfortunately.

Anderson should, of course, be dropped pronto.