• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

shaka

International Regular
When was the last time Graeme Smith made excess of 50 runs in one innings in tests? maybe against NZ

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
South Africa has never had the so called World class players. Even when they were quite clearly one of the best, the only 'stars' they had were Cullinan, Donald, Pollock,Kallish

Pollock is far from his best right now but still very effective.

Smith, Gibbs are qality players. No denying that. Its more about how well the team plays collectively than how many stars it has. New Zealand doesnt have that many star players but always compete.
Forgot Gibbs. He's world class IMO. Cullinun too. At that time I was referring too it means they had 5 or 6 world class players in there at the same time. Count Kirsten too.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Three straight days of crap from England.

Still, SA's conservative approach in a) not enforcing the follow on and b) crawling along after tea has left the slightest chink of light for England. We're going to have to bat for five+ sessions to save the game, but if we can reach stumps with no more than two down then we have a fighting chance.
err, how about this. we have no chance of batting 5 sessions unless it rains. give it up we're not going to be able to chase 500 in the last inning.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
KEY TOOK AN ATHLETIC, DIVING CATCH!!!

Well, now I've seen everything.

Edit: And now he's just made a diving stop. Jonty Rhodes is but a distant memory now...
and rob key is quite a capable forward short leg

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
It's not exactly a weakness like Lara has to leg-stump yorkers that takes a good degree of skill to exploit tho is it?

Basically any line & length delivery and Vaughan does his 6-inch curtain-rail (he kind of pushes the bat sideways and at a slight angle) guide to the wicket-keeper or slips.
no its just rubbish batting that doesnt appear like its going to change. one can only wonder how long they are going to stick with him as captain because it is clearly affecting his batting.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Forgot Gibbs. He's world class IMO. Cullinun too. At that time I was referring too it means they had 5 or 6 world class players in there at the same time. Count Kirsten too.
erm Gibbs is still in the squad. You have mentioned 5 players who were there in the squad eralier who were world class. There are 4 right now. World Class players isnt what makes or breaks a side. Team effectiveness as a whole does.

India seem to have so many world class players. Doesnt make it a top side right now. Yet they were doing pretty okay 2003 to early 2004. Same side, different results.

The whole point of South Africa not doing well because of not having world class players is off the mark. Its more to do with inexperience of the side as a whole.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
err, how about this. we have no chance of batting 5 sessions unless it rains. give it up we're not going to be able to chase 500 in the last inning.
That would be the loser's mentality. Good job on your coaching career.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Is it the captaincy? Batting @ 4? Or is he just outta nick & should I stop worrying?
look its quite obviously not batting at 4 because poor footwork and playing at wide deliveries is something will get you into even bigger trouble when you open the batting. and its not like his performances at the top of the order since hes taken up captaincy have much better.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
erm Gibbs is still in the squad. You have mentioned 5 players who were there in the squad eralier who were world class. There are 4 right now. World Class players isnt what makes or breaks a side. Team effectiveness as a whole does.
I stated their are two currently initially, then corrected myself with Gibbs - that's 3. Then I said, at the time I was referring to, meaning when South Africa had more than 3 wc players, there were 5 or 6, which includes those 3. Get it?

The players - Kirsten, Gibbs, Kallis (possibly), Pollock, Donald, Cullinun.

And btw, my point was never about South Africa not being a good team because of the number of world class players. I understand the game better than that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And btw, my point was never about South Africa not being a good team because of the number of world class players. I understand the game better than that.
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
South Africa has fallen so far from the quality of team of a few years aback. It's not as though success has been so long ago. You speak like it's been a long toil and South Africa are finally showing signs of recovery.

South Africa has two truly world-class players in Shaun Pollock and Jacques Kallis.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
tooextracool said:
after a statement like that i wont even bother reading the rest of your post.
You compare Australia and South Africa in 96-99 and see how many world class players each of them have had. Both quality sides but Australia were having far more of the star players than South Africa. Yet they have been so damn effective.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
You compare Australia and South Africa in 96-99 and see how many world class players each of them have had. Both quality sides but Australia were having far more of the star players than South Africa. Yet they have been so damn effective.

do you know that the SA side between 96-99 were considered to be more talented than the australian one? if it werent for their unnecessary choking against australia, they would have hammered australia straight. go ahead and compare the talent from both sides.