• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wpdavid said:
That depends on a number of things. If the selectors decide to stick with either Butcher or Key at number 3 and if we keep Flintoff at 6 instead of playing an extra battter, then KP won't be starting for the test side unless injuries intervene. If either of those don't happen, then there's a vacancy and it's a choice between him & Bell, which has been discussed earlier on the thread. Beyond the English summer, the other factor is if Thorpe calls it a day after the Ashes.
I thought that Thorpie had said that this was his last tour?

Either way, Freddie's out for four months so he'll miss the Bangladesh series - perfect chance for KP to slot in and battle with Key/Butch/Bell for the Ashes place.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
As I said before I think they'd be quixotic in the extreme if they did.

I have to hold my hand up & say I've never seen KP play an FC innings yet & he does have a couple of potential flaws that may be exposed by an attack of the quality of Oz (plays across line, not always convinced he knows where his off-stump is), but I can't recall being as impressed by an English-qualified batter since, well, a long, long time!
I would go with that BB.

I had never seen him bat in any form till yesteday and boy did he take them to the cleaners.

I would like to see him in the longer version but clearly he has a lot to offer to English cricket. His attitude and self confidence being not the least of those.

twctopcat

International Regular
KP seems to walk across his stumps a bit like Lehmann and Lara, but coupled with his extraordinary confidence, a great eye, good flexible wrists and his big physique once he has seen a few balls he seems to be able to overcome any deficiencies he may have.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
KP seems to walk across his stumps a bit like Lehmann and Lara, but coupled with his extraordinary confidence, a great eye, good flexible wrists and his big physique once he has seen a few balls he seems to be able to overcome any deficiencies he may have.
I would tend to believe that.

I watched him and Kemp yesterday and it was great viewing. I havent enjoyed watching England bat so much in the recent past except the few occasions that I have been able to catch Flintoff on his good day.

I still think England should get rid of what I call the Irani-Kabir syndrome. These guys reinforce the mediocrity ridden image that English sides have got saddled with for a long time.

twctopcat

International Regular
SJS said:
I still think England should get rid of what I call the Irani-Kabir syndrome. These guys reinforce the mediocrity ridden image that English sides have got saddled with for a long time.
I would agree that Irani and co were picked on this flawed system but i'm not so sure with regards Ali. I think he is primarily a bowler. The fact that on the odd occasion he can flay a bat ala Harmison wasn't taken into account on his selection IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
I would agree that Irani and co were picked on this flawed system but i'm not so sure with regards Ali. I think he is primarily a bowler. The fact that on the odd occasion he can flay a bat ala Harmison wasn't taken into account on his selection IMO.
Maybe I havent seen enough of him. Yesterday was the first time and he didnt appear to be too much of a bowler. Straight forward up and down stuff.
I agree it may not be representative of what he is capable of.

twctopcat

International Regular
SJS said:
Maybe I havent seen enough of him. Yesterday was the first time and he didnt appear to be too much of a bowler. Straight forward up and down stuff.
I agree it may not be representative of what he is capable of.
He was chosen as a bowler, but as is so often the case with english selection, that doesn't necessarily mean he can bowl, ;).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
These guys reinforce the mediocrity ridden image that English sides have got saddled with for a long time.
Agreed. The thing I really enjoy about watching the English test side now is that it's a really solid, settled lineup. Excluding Thorpe's likely retirement in the near future, I can see every player in that team staying in test cricket and performing for some time. From Trescothick and Strauss down to the four-prong pace attack, and perhaps solely with the exception of Giles (and he isn't THAT bad), there's no passengers in that team. And frankly, I can't remember the last time I watched an English test team where I honestly believed every player in the side was a fine, test-quality player.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I thought that Thorpie had said that this was his last tour?

Either way, Freddie's out for four months so he'll miss the Bangladesh series - perfect chance for KP to slot in and battle with Key/Butch/Bell for the Ashes place.
Yes, I meant this summer's ashes. And you're right, I'd forgotten about Fred's injury.

chris.hinton

International Captain
wpdavid said:
Yes, I meant this summer's ashes. And you're right, I'd forgotten about Fred's injury.

I agree with Neil Kevin Pietersen should be given a chance against bangladesh but what about Mascaranus in the One dayers?

Neil Pickup

chris.hinton said:
I agree with Neil Kevin Pietersen should be given a chance against bangladesh but what about Mascaranus in the One dayers?
Best. Typo. Ever.

Haven't you had enough of bits and pieces players who can't do anything properly yet?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Re: my last post

Mascaranus is the All rounder who plays for Hampshire.

Also Thought that kabir bowled well yeaturay apart from his First over. Pietersen is Quality and i though the team is correct apart from Hoggard for Flintoff

chris.hinton

International Captain
Neil

We got to be looking for a Second all rounder as i dont think that Collingwood is good enough to fill Flintoff boots... but his Fielding keeps him in the side every time.

Neil Pickup

Mascarenhas, obviously. Hence the comment about bits-and-pieces all rounders who have no place except CW Black.. :)

You're trying to tell me that the over that went for 25 (and should by rights have gone for more due to the missed no-ball) was good?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Best. Typo. Ever.

Haven't you had enough of bits and pieces players who can't do anything properly yet?
Aren't bits and pieces players fairly good at doing some things on their day?

Im yet to see that from Hintons guys :p

twctopcat

International Regular
Saw Mascarenhas a few times last summer at the rose bowl and on tv and he is very handy, but whether he is handy enough for a ODI, well i can't really tell.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
twctopcat said:
Saw Mascarenhas a few times last summer at the rose bowl and on tv and he is very handy, but whether he is handy enough for a ODI, well i can't really tell.
I reckon he was at least as worth a look as Wharf was based on last year's form.

Wharf possibly a tad sharper, pace wise, but DM a far better batter.

twctopcat

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
I reckon he was at least as worth a look as Wharf was based on last year's form.

Wharf possibly a tad sharper, pace wise, but DM a far better batter.
Definitely, wharf will prob have 5/10mph on him but dimi can cut and swing the ball, and has a lot better use of his slower balls. If Jones could stand up he could be a real threat. As for batting comparisons, Dimi owns Wharf on recent form.