• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
Dunno. He'd lose a great deal financially, so at least it would be a principled stand. Of course, if our cupboard was fuller, he wouldn't be an automatic pick for the home tests. Whether he should be anyway after being ineffective in 7 of his last 9 tests is maybe questionable. OK, I'm probably overstating it there, and I would start with him against Aus because I know what he can do. But I could name several quicks from years gone by who would love to have had that sort of patience from the selectors.
Would he be picked tho?

I know Thorpey was honest enough to ask to not be considered for one winter tour (last SA tour, possibly?) & he didn't walk straight back in to our side come the summer. Despite him being clearly our best batter.

It's pretty obv Harmy doesn't want to be there tho, to such an extent that Gower hinted at a "difference of opinion" between him & the management over the extent of the injury. I think the clear inference was that Harmy was perceived as swinging the lead.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I think South Africa are once again developing a superb fielding team. Gibbs is still there, and with the inclusion of AB de Villiers and Prince, that inner rings of fielders looks very awesome.
In Prince's case it's a good job he can do something!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I bet marc was happy when Kabir got Smacked?
No, I wasn't. I don't think he should have been left to bowl at the end - IMO there was a case for forcing him through a 10 over stint in one go.

chris.hinton said:
It was poor today we simply cannot raise our game..... Question have to be asked ?
Question is why do you over-react so much?

chris.hinton said:
Solanki should have not been dropped, bell should not be in the team
Solanki shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place. Bell >>>>> Solanki

chris.hinton said:
It time for Batty to get a chance
Erm, why exactly? What does he provide that's better than Giles?

jot1

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Like the man said....

We were poor in both disciplines (KP the admirable exception); SA played well. 292 was a big ask, but not impossible; Pollock & Ntini showed the value of taking early wickets to pressurise the chasing team & we were never really in the race. The better team on the day won.
Hear hear :clapping:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
But to be fair, the Capetonians were limp when it came to KP abusing.. NOT going there next summer!
Ah! Give it time. Strauss' first few games were also sensational. :sneaky2:

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
Ah! Give it time. Strauss' first few games were also sensational. :sneaky2:
And he's continued to be one of SA's greatest exports after Charlerize Theron, Milk Tart and the Heart Bypass.. Im worried man..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
good joke....
according to you, the only way to be the number 2 team in the world is to compete against australia, so i guess beating the rest of the teams doesnt matter at all, so why the hell should we even play them?
if england get hammered by the aussies, maybe it suggests that the gap between no 1 and 2 is considerably big?
Good joke too....

If aust do hammer England in the Ashes (and I mean hammer), then how then how do you explain India's excellent recent test results against aust both home and away??

Zinzan

Swervy said:
so we have gone from people saying if England beat SA in SA then England can be considered number 2,to now people saying that doesnt matter, its only if England compete well vs Australia.Why all this goal post moving???(I know not by you, just people in general)

India match up well vs Australia,well better than any other team in the world at the moment.India's stengths go well vs Australia's weaknesses etc.That doesnt mean Team X cant match up well vs India though,and if that happens, that doesnt mean Team X match up well vs Australia.

So just because India have played well vs Australia and no-one else has,it doesnt mean that India have to be considered the number 2 team.England have done better against other teams,home and away for long enough now,and India havnet consistantly done anything in tests for a while now.

India's only away series win (not incl.Bang) recently was vs a not particularly strong Pakistan team 2-1...outside the subcontinent,it was 1986 vs England.That is not the performance of a number two ranked team.
Fair call...but if England get absolutely hammered in their own conditions against Aust, say lose 4-0 or 4-1, and india win over Pakistan in the test series, the ICC ratings will probably have India passing England into 2nd spot. And those rating are supposed to be designed to incorporate both Home and away series.

And that is what i'm predicting over the next 6 months or so....India to beat Pakistan (tests) away and Aust to Hammer Eng in Ashes.

If i'm right, and none of us know yet, will you still maintain England are 2nd best??

Zinzan

On teams competing with Aust in recent...NZ in 2001-02 (although we are struggling in test cricket now) competed magnificently in that 0-0 test series along with some help from the weather.

Zinzan

tooextracool said:
because they;ve beaten SA and WI away from home 8-)
Question? Do you ever criticise England or Downplay their wins or do you just do that with every other team in the world??

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Question? Do you ever criticise England or Downplay their wins or do you just do that with every other team in the world??
To be fair, I think tec criticises every team equally.