• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I drop Hoggard and bring in Harmy and bell should go for Vaughan
If Vaughan is fit he'll be batting at 3, so Bell isn't the man who's position is in threat.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
If Vaughan is fit he'll be batting at 3, so Bell isn't the man who's position is in threat.
Well said.
You have to feel for Solanki. Gets 100 and is dropped. Then gets 66 and will be dropped again :) But for the balance of the team it has to be Solanki that has to go. What will be interesting is when Flintoff is fit again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Flintoff will more than likely come in for Bell.

Personally after last night I'd like to see Jones booted out, get Read back in, move Strauss to open, then Read down at 8 followed by Giles and 2 bowlers.

The middle order then is:
Vaughan
Bell
Flintoff
Pieterson
Collingwood

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Congrats England, you tried hard to throw the 2nd game away, but this time you 'succeeded'.
Typical losers attitude towards a side who have generally bossed things this winter, just as they did last summer..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
Typical losers attitude towards a side who have generally bossed things this winter, just as they did last summer..
No he just can't realise that maybe the opposition played well. Or is that just impossible?

If England win, well they were awesome and smashed the opposition. If England lose, they just underperformed, the opposition had nothing to do with it.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Flintoff will more than likely come in for Bell.

Personally after last night I'd like to see Jones booted out, get Read back in, move Strauss to open, then Read down at 8 followed by Giles and 2 bowlers.

The middle order then is:
Vaughan
Bell
Flintoff
Pieterson
Collingwood
They might choose to drop a bowler for Flintoff instead.
So you'd have 2 fast bowlers / Flintoff / Giles / 5th made from part timers.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't like having to make up ten overs from part-timers, it's caused India plenty of problems. I'd be happier with:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Flintoff
Pietersen
Collingwood
Read
Giles
Kabir
Gough
Harmison

Five front line bowlers plus Collingwood, and batting depth to boot.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Ive always liked 5 proper bowlers. Especially with Flintoff fit and Giles able to bat. Thats just the last 3 that couldnt bat. But if you're in the situation where you need your last 3 to bat more than 3-4 overs then i dont think it would make much difference anyway. With that team even Kabir could hold a bat if needed so its only really 2 tailers. Although even Harmison showed he can hit a ball far when he connects.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Plus Goughie's quite competent, too :)
Indeed :) i just dont see why England seem so intent on so many bits and pieces players. Thankfully they have got the hint with Blackwell / McGrath and Clarke.
Collingwood and Bell get in on batting / fielding alone, the fact they can bowl if needed is a bonus. I've lost count how many times the main bowlers for England have got us into good positions only for us to be forced to bring on the spinner and part timers for 20 overs which just let the opposition tick over and get back into the game :-O :@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
I don't like having to make up ten overs from part-timers, it's caused India plenty of problems. I'd be happier with
Agreed. I've always wondered, with a player like Flintoff in the team why would you ever need to fill in 10 with part-timers? Its hurt India so often, seeing Sachin, Sehwag, Mongia, Yuvraj, Ganguly and whomever get smashed all around the park.

For some reason though Australia always get away with it :dry:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
Agreed. I've always wondered, with a player like Flintoff in the team why would you ever need to fill in 10 with part-timers? Its hurt India so often, seeing Sachin, Sehwag, Mongia, Yuvraj, Ganguly and whomever get smashed all around the park.

For some reason though Australia always get away with it :dry:
TBF Symonds & Lehmann are better bowlers than any of the Indian chaps you've named. & I haven't seen a lot of Clarke's bowling to be honest, but 6-9 does at least suggest there's potential there too!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
TBF Symonds & Lehmann are better bowlers than any of the Indian chaps you've named. & I haven't seen a lot of Clarke's bowling to be honest, but 6-9 does at least suggest there's potential there too!
True but I still don't feel thats the reason. Rather its most likely the fact that McGrath, Gillespie, and now Lee often get early wickets in the one-dayers, and thus the opposition can't afford to take it to Lehmann or Symonds because if one of them hauls out, they're stuffed.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jono said:
No he just can't realise that maybe the opposition played well. Or is that just impossible?

If England win, well they were awesome and smashed the opposition. If England lose, they just underperformed, the opposition had nothing to do with it.
Interesting.. Im not sure I understand some of the totally negative stuff I hear, from a side who are, arguably, second in the world..

chris.hinton

International Captain
Once again Marc shows the Green eyed Monster when talking about Solanki.... Solanki should not be dropped at all.... if you score 50+ you should play the next match... Bell was unlucky not to be in the Test Squad that is wrong what happened to him and he deserves that number 3 spot, He not a One day Bowler although if picked should bowl as he is better then Trescothick

Hoggard has to be dropped from the team he not good enough at one day level... but better at test match

Team for Tomorrow should be

Tresco
G Jones
Solanki
Strauss
Pietersen
Vaughan
Collingwood
Giles
Kabir
Gough
Harmison