• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Could someone explain to me why they kept bowling length balls (that generally got carted for 4)?
Hoggard should know better. Even someone whos never played a one dayer before should be told by the captain to keep it full, and be able to do it even if it turns into full tosses.

1-1 sets up the series nicely.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
Hoggard should know better. Even someone whos never played a one dayer before should be told by the captain to keep it full, and be able to do it even if it turns into full tosses.

1-1 sets up the series nicely.
Yea but even Kabir and Gough were bowling length balls, a bouncer or similar fine, but not a length delivery outside off.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well played South Africa! Captain's knock from Smith. To come back from Wednesday's debacle, and win 2 days later is great.

Congrats Saffies :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Yea but even Kabir and Gough were bowling length balls, a bouncer or similar fine, but not a length delivery outside off.
You cant expect a bowler to be able to bowl yorkers at will. At least Gough and Ali got the majority up there. Hoggard wasnt even attempting to bowl them full. :-O
He's great with the new ball. Maybe they should bowl hoggard out in full from the start. Harmisons bound to come back into the next game. It was obvious Ali would drop out but after tonight Hoggard might be sweating it a tad.
On a side note Collingwoods done a fantastic job bowling these last 2 games.
Also WHY did Trescothick bowl when Bell actually bowls ALOT for Warks (fairly well actually) in games and Trescothick hardly ever bowls.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Well played South Africa! Captain's knock from Smith. To come back from Wednesday's debacle, and win 2 days later is great.

Congrats Saffies :)
Thank you Jono. Great games being played by the 2 sides. The test matches and now the ODI's. :D

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
But the wicket is the key!

5 overs - who to bowl?

For me 2 of Gough and 2 of Ali, no more Hoggard.

But Trescothick keeps him on. :(
Hmm - 5 overs, 2 Gough, 2 Ali - others bowled out - who would you have put on for 46?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pah, trust me to be in bed sick with a migraine when SA actually decide to win :)

Oh well, congrats to Graeme, wish I could have seen it :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Get ready for Marc to blame Kabir if this over is poor
Why?

He didn't bowl well on Wednesday (as indicated by the 7 an over) but managed to redeem himself at the end.

By all accounts he bowled better today.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
Also WHY did Trescothick bowl when Bell actually bowls ALOT for Warks (fairly well actually) in games and Trescothick hardly ever bowls.
Bell's bowling is very very over-rated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Hmm - 5 overs, 2 Gough, 2 Ali - others bowled out - who would you have put on for 46?
I'd have put one of those 2 on for 46, and switched with Giles to bowl the missing one.