• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
.. not to mention the SL games previously. Maybe someone's telling us there are too many ODI's?
Is that the case though? In the last year I know Australia only played 20, which really isn't all that many. In 2003 they played in excess of 30 I think (mainly due to the WC), but 20 a year really isn't saturation point at all for ODIs.

Were there any teams last year that DID play loads of them?

Marius

International Debutant
With regards to the rain forecast, on Mike Haysman's cricket program which is shown here in SA, he said there was no rain forecast, so hopefully we'll get some cricket in.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More bizarre selections from SA - Boje (vice-captain) dropped on a dry, good batting pitch with large dimensions (ie might be tough clearing the boundary). Day/night game and Smith wins the toss and decides to bowl first...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What's your opinion of Kabir Ali? He bowled well in his first 8 overs, for a reserve. He also has 5 FC half-centuries, so how does he bat?

twctopcat

International Regular
Arjun said:
What's your opinion of Kabir Ali? He bowled well in his first 8 overs, for a reserve. He also has 5 FC half-centuries, so how does he bat?
A slogger by the sounds of it. Got 90 odd in FC limited overs once so must be something there.

Scaly piscine

Vaughan as usual struggling at the start of his innings, in my opinion he's pretty weak when it comes to picking up singles and tends to hit the fielders with great regularity in ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I haven't seen him bat, but his FC his pretty poor so I wouldn't have thought he's any more than a number 8.
I wouldn't expect him to come in ahead of Gilo.

Scaly piscine

Pretty dumb batting from the English openers, they've seen the pitch is a little slow & low so they play the exact sort of shots that are going to get them out sooner rather than later.

Marius

International Debutant
Come on SA. 68/3. If we can nip out Vaughan or Pietersen (preferably both :) ) before the score has reached 100 we will be in a very good position.

chris.hinton

International Captain
125/3 off 29 overs...... we need 260 as South Africa are a better one day outfit then a test outfit.....

Still Pietersen Rules

Scaly piscine

chris.hinton said:
125/3 off 29 overs...... we need 260 as South Africa are a better one day outfit then a test outfit.....

Still Pietersen Rules
?

South Africa are a far better Test team than ODI team - their last non-Bangladesh/Zimbabwe ODI victory was February last year.

Scaly piscine

Well SA have still only lost a home Test series against England & Australia since their readmission (2-1 3 times), which says more about England than SA in my opinion, although they're probably a little weaker nowadays - not helped by the somewhat dodgy selections.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure that Bell at 7 makes much sense.

Still, it's looking like a good contest. How much does the ball do under the lights here?