• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
twctopcat said:
I wish this 5th game was a dead rubber to give jon lewis and bell a game. Having said that with our injury troubles maybe such changes will be unavoidable.
I suspect Lewis may get a game anyway. With Harmy very possibly crocked & Anderson bowling a cartload of tripe both he & Simon Jones may come in. Hard on the fella to have to make his debut in such circs, but needs must.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
In spite of 6 of the wickets going down for 120?
have we been dismissing SA cheaply in this series?
remember that 3/60 is what happens when each bowler bowls at his best, and its quite unlikely that both bowlers will bowl at their best in the same game. whats more likely to happen is that we'll see figures like these:
3/60
2/77
1/80
1/40
2/115

BoyBrumby

Englishman
tooextracool said:
is lewis a swing bowler?
Not really, more of a medium-fast seamer. I have to be honest & say I've only seen him bowl in one-dayers, which may not give a totally honest impression, but it looks as if his natural shape in leaving the right-hander.

A slightly sharper Martin Bicknell is maybe the best comparison, although Lewis is a bit skiddier. Maybe a taller Mark Ealham?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he can put in consistently in the right areas (watching, James?) then he may be exactly what's needed on current form.

Link

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So long as the edges don't go within 10 yards of Geraint.

Little bit low, dont you think?? I still have good confidence in him, it was just a couple of poor attempts. He will do fine, however i will feel no way if Read plays in the next test, it will be a chance to rest his thumb and also a chance for chris.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
We need to waste Trescothick early on to have a chance of winning.. Otherwise this has draw written all over it :(
All three outcomes are still possible. But i think a draw is imminent

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I kinda feel England would have to get bowled out to have any sort of chance of winning (I couldn't see Vaughan declaring much before a 300 lead). I do think Hoggard & Flintoff will still take wickets when they bowl - obviously it helps if the catching is better...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having not seen Steve Harmison bowl since the NZ/ENG tests in May. I can't work out how he struggling with form. I was so impressed with the way he bowled against NZ, he was easily the most dangerous English Bowler. In fact I thought he was the difference between NZ and Eng in that series.

Having just seen his results a late via cricinfo and not T.V, could someone plse explain what seems to be wrong.

Has he lost pace?
Accuracy?
Confidence ?

??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Link said:
Little bit low, dont you think?? I still have good confidence in him, it was just a couple of poor attempts.
Yes, but it's the 2nd Test this series where a drop from the keeper has cost England - last time it meant we drew, this one we could lose.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Has he lost pace?
Accuracy?
Confidence ?

??
A lot of it is confidence with him, he really is a big confidence bowler.

The other problem was that he didn't have any real cricket between the September Test and this series - he wasn't match-ready for the 1st Test, and with the scheuule he's not been able to get form!