• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
its good to see that vaughan has gradually started to play like the vaughan of old in this inning, of course there isnt much doubt that the conditions have too have gotten better to bat in this session.
It doesn't change the fact that he battled and battled and battled for over a hundred deliveries before he was able to cash in.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
It doesn't change the fact that he battled and battled and battled for over a hundred deliveries before he was able to cash in.
doesnt that make the inning even better? personally i wouldnt mind someone who looked completely out of sorts and managed to survive ball after ball in unfavourably batting conditions before finally getting the right conditions and having the ball go from the middle off the bat to get his runs. its somewhat of a hussain type innings or what atherton calls 'ugly runs'.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
I'd prefer that then flashing and having no chance of getting back some form though.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
doesnt that make the inning even better? personally i wouldnt mind someone who looked completely out of sorts and managed to survive ball after ball in unfavourably batting conditions before finally getting the right conditions and having the ball go from the middle off the bat to get his runs. its somewhat of a hussain type innings or what atherton calls 'ugly runs'.
twctopcat said:
I'd prefer that then flashing and having no chance of getting back some form though.
Sorry guys, I was trying to say the same thing. I was trying to credit Vaughan for sticking it out so long through the rough patches.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Oh great, they're coming back just long enough for England to get polished off in the bowler-friendly conditions and then for SA to be offered bad light.
Man that feels like a long time ago... Harmison the all-rounder...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I've had it up to here with Steve Bucknor. He is an absolute travesty. Where the hell does he get off making decisions that are reserved for the players to make? Compounded with his horrible decisions so far in this series I'm joining the "Bucknor for retirement" brigade.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
on flintoff, who really is making a mockery of himself at the crease, its interesting to note that hes never actually done well away from home with the bat.
Didnt he get a hundred in New Zealand?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
I've had it up to here with Steve Bucknor. He is an absolute travesty. Where the hell does he get off making decisions that are reserved for the players to make? Compounded with his horrible decisions so far in this series I'm joining the "Bucknor for retirement" brigade.
I take it you're referring to them going off for bad light, in theory they're supposed to just walk off as soon as you get those 4 distinct shadows for each player. England were kind of lucky to get an extra hour out of tonight according to what was said on the radio when technically they should have been off when they offered light to England and they stayed on.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Originally Posted by tooextracool
on flintoff, who really is making a mockery of himself at the crease, its interesting to note that hes never actually done well away from home with the bat.
And one in WI. Of course, he's only had the one winter away since he was recognised to have stopped being idiotic as a batsman.

Cheers,

Mike

tooextracool

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
yes he did, a 137. but he followed that series up with a 14 and 19 average against SL and india at home which led most people to believe that it was just another one of those out of the blue innings. its only since the series against SA in 03 that hes showed signs of maturity with the bat though, and all of it unfortunately has been at home.

tooextracool

International Coach
badgerhair said:
And one in WI. Of course, he's only had the one winter away since he was recognised to have stopped being idiotic as a batsman.

Cheers,

Mike
the 100 in the WI though was littered with dropped catches and the 4 innings before that were characteristic of the immature flintoff.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
He has lost it right from India's last tour of Australia

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
Very good fightback from Harmison and Vaughan but these batting collapses are becoming quite concerning. It's a good job Strauss is getting some runs for us.

Flintoff only bats one way and that's aggressively, unfortunately that means sometimes he gives his wicket away.

Finally, I have to question the decision regarding the light, surely they are only supposed to ask the batting team and not the fielding team unless it is causing a real danger to fielders. Am I wrong?