• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

shaka

International Regular
Strauss seems to like playing against his birth country. Too bad Wanderers is very wet and cold.

Marius

International Debutant
With regards to Steyn, I would have played Andre Nel. Nel is more experienced, and has been in good form for his franchise team, the Titans. Last weekend he took nine wickets against Eastern Cape, and after the first day against the Lions, he took four of the eight wickets to fall, two of them being former Test players Adam Bacher and Neil McKenzie.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
And when has Harmison ever been successful against a quality team or on a good batting track?
England v NZ were all pretty good tracks and how many times has he played 'quality teams'? (probably defined as teams he hasn't done well against by zebra)

I bet it rains all day and it's blue sky tomorrow...

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
England v NZ were all pretty good tracks and how many times has he played 'quality teams'? (probably defined as teams he hasn't done well against by zebra)

I bet it rains all day and it's blue sky tomorrow...
So the 7th best team in the world are quality are they? Even their established players like Fleming, Astle and McMillan only average in the 30s. He has played and failed against all the best teams - Australia (9 wickets @ 50.55), India (5 wickets @ 44.00) and South Africa (16 wickets @ 52.81). Against the three weakest teams, however, he has really cashed in - West Indies (40 wickets @ 21.10), Zimbabwe (9 wickets@ 16.44) and Bangladesh (9 wickets @ 8.77). All the evidence points to him being a bad track bully and a minnow basher.

Scaly piscine

I also suggest you wait to see what he does in the rest of this series. Since most of those bad stats you quote were from his early Test match career (I'm sure most people can remember what he was like then) only an idiot would try to make a point out of them...

Scaly piscine

Oh great, they're coming back just long enough for England to get polished off in the bowler-friendly conditions and then for SA to be offered bad light.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it just me or or does the word 'innovative' fail to describe Graeme Smith? He chops and changes his field so much, moving catchers into positions where the ball has already gone. He's too far behind the 8-ball. I don't understand the point of putting fielders in when you've already missed your chance. He doesn't back his plans for the long term.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
So the 7th best team in the world are quality are they? Even their established players like Fleming, Astle and McMillan only average in the 30s..
err richardson was averaging 47 at the time, oram averages 43, fleming averages 39.33, and really has been averaging 70 and 46 in the last 2 years.

a massive zebra said:
He has played and failed against all the best teams - Australia (9 wickets @ 50.55), India (5 wickets @ 44.00)..
yes well done in including all his figures when he was truly rubbish.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
I also suggest you wait to see what he does in the rest of this series. Since most of those bad stats you quote were from his early Test match career (I'm sure most people can remember what he was like then) only an idiot would try to make a point out of them...
really i was expecting some fool to have a go at him after what hes done this series.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Harmison on fire! This is exciting stuff.
Harmison's batting is so under-rated. I'm not going to jump on a bandwagon and call him an all-rounder, but he's a hell of a number 11, a clean hitter and an exciting player to watch!!

tooextracool

International Coach
its good to see that vaughan has gradually started to play like the vaughan of old in this inning, of course there isnt much doubt that the conditions have too have gotten better to bat in this session.

tooextracool

International Coach
on flintoff, who really is making a mockery of himself at the crease, its interesting to note that hes never actually done well away from home with the bat.