• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think Stokes is fine at 5, he keeps the run-rate high in the middle overs. 30s and 50s are fine if the other batsmen actually bat and not average 15 in a series. I guess Taylor coming in would help balance things a bit better.
But he doesn't get 30-50s often..he averages 20 after 34 games. That is not a number 5

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But he doesn't get 30-50s often..he averages 20 after 34 games. That is not a number 5
Yea because he's learning how to play on the job. He'll be 30+ average 100+ SR for the future. And a solid option with the ball.

As I said ODIs are very niched, some players can adapt, a lot only have one way of playing and have a massive drop-off if they try to do something else.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
lol I am agreeing with you, but this idea that Eng can either be overly defensive "250 is enough" team to an overly aggressive "400 or bust team" with nothing in between is giving these players an excuse they don't deserve.
I certainly didn't mean it as an excuse. It's a case of hugely overcompensating in philosophy. "Oh we were struggling to make the big scores other teams were so let's stack the batting with big hitters and tell them to be 'fearless' and 'play their natural game'". It's dumb yeah. Shows a lack of understanding for the nuances of the game from player and staff.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Averaged 28.20 this series, which is a boundary off 30...
This series haha. By using recent form as a measure of someone's ability you must also rate voges a better batman than Bradman. And 28.20 is hardly outstanding for a no.5, it's actually pretty poor tbh

Scaly piscine

Averaged 28.20 this series, which is a boundary off 30...
Yes he was 29 @ 101 SR last year and 28 @ 123 SR this year (ie this series) - I think that's what you'll get generally and obviously get a hundred now and then which will push things up.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Some very soft dismissals from england but a good bowling performance from sa. Morris was a bit lose. Wiese was his usual self gets some wickets but also expensive. Kg,abbot and tahir great.

Now to bat properly.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
England back to usual in ODIs. Funny thing is that all 10 of their 11 batsman can hold a bat, yet they get bowled out like that. Even that ODI series win over New Zealand, you still lost 2 games in process, and also still lost the ODI series to Australia (3 games lost) so why are people saying England have become a force or something in ODIs? good luck in tours to Bangladesh and India where you are most-likely to lose. Anyway, the great thing about England v South Africa in ODIs is that they are usually entertaining contests. Their head to head is neck and neck.

Compton

International Debutant
This series haha. By using recent form as a measure of someone's ability you must also rate voges a better batman than Bradman. And 28.20 is hardly outstanding for a no.5, it's actually pretty poor tbh
You were saying he isn't averaging 30 with the bat, in this series he's averaging 28.20 with it; it's hardly out of the question to suggest he'll do better than that going forward.

Your point on Voges/Bradman is inane, if not topical.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Pretty good 10 minutes there - watch Leicester take the lead, switch back and Topley's done a number on the saffers