• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh we are the zyder drinkers, in our combine harvesters, off to sunny weston-super-mare :blink:

Whatever that means, but your right Tresco needs to be our one-day captain, and blackies got to play. Talk about "attitude", but the man was slagged then played a great season for zummerset, including a great captaincy spell.

Now thats "attitude", reply to criticism with great play :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Anna said:
Thank you! I knew I wasn't the only Somerset supporter on here :D
Nice to know my contribution to this board is going completely unnoticed..... :glare: :mellow:

(I was there for Blackie's 134*, you know..... :p )

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pakster said:
If he does anything noteworthy in his ODI career (5fer or a century), I will post a video of myself dancing in my boxers.
I'm gonna remember this

Craig

World Traveller
wpdavid said:
The odd thing about Fred is that he's far worse in this regard overseas than at home. In England, he justifies his palce at number 6. Overseas, he looks at least a place too high.
I know what your saying but how can somebody bat well in his home country and is the man for number 6 but away from home he is like a cat on a hot tin roof?

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
The super-sub rule is a farce. It should be made so the teams select their sub after the toss.
But hang-on wouldn't be an advantage because teams would also know what the pitch will do after the pitch report (if they have a TV switched on to view it) so they could pick the right player for that job?

Ie you can have an extra batsman (as your super sub) to come on when/if the team has made a big score when batting first? It would seem it is more helpfull when the toss has been made and the winning captain has made his choice. By having it named before the toss wouldn't it be more of a gamble to play an extra batsman or bowler then an all-rounder as your super sub if you didn't know who would win the toss and if you lost what would the captain do?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Craig said:
But hang-on wouldn't be an advantage because teams would also know what the pitch will do after the pitch report (if they have a TV switched on to view it) so they could pick the right player for that job?

Ie you can have an extra batsman (as your super sub) to come on when/if the team has made a big score when batting first? It would seem it is more helpfull when the toss has been made and the winning captain has made his choice. By having it named before the toss wouldn't it be more of a gamble to play an extra batsman or bowler then an all-rounder as your super sub if you didn't know who would win the toss and if you lost what would the captain do?
I dont think a overpaid commentator will know more than what the team would know already from doing their own pitch reports.

My own personal preference is the ability to name more than 1 sub before the match / toss (say 3 players) and you could bring any 1 (and only 1) of the subs on. You could then pick 3 subs of varying skills (pace bowler / spin / batsmen / etc) and bring which ever one on you think would make the best impact at the time. Much more flexible.

greg

International Debutant
SpaceMonkey said:
I dont think a overpaid commentator will know more than what the team would know already from doing their own pitch reports.

My own personal preference is the ability to name more than 1 sub before the match / toss (say 3 players) and you could bring any 1 (and only 1) of the subs on. You could then pick 3 subs of varying skills (pace bowler / spin / batsmen / etc) and bring which ever one on you think would make the best impact at the time. Much more flexible.
Superficially fair, but in practice massively in favour of the "bigger" test nations. But if you want cricket to be primarily about "the bench" then fine. I prefer it if the smaller countries have the means to compete by working extra hard on their fielding, lower order batting, batsmen's bowling etc (most obvious example Zimbabwe in the late 90s). The development of allrounders should be encouraged, not actively worked against.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SpaceMonkey said:

My friend made a similar suggestion. An interesting one, but as greg said, would literally kill the role of the allrounder in ODI cricket.

I like 11 vs. 11. I hope it comes back to that and the super-sub rule can just go away.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't mind it actually, if other sports can have more then one sub, then why not cricket? And it is OD cricket, a hybrid form of Tests, so it isn't as though we are mucking about with Test cricket which would be scandalous.

pakster

U19 12th Man
so long as enough commentators/writers/pundits continue to complain about the super-sub rule, you'll see a change made very soon by the ICC.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Nice to know my contribution to this board is going completely unnoticed..... :glare: :mellow:

(I was there for Blackie's 134*, you know..... :p )
Sorry! Didn't know you were a Somerset fan. I was there for James Hildreth's debut 1st class century :D & the twenty/20 finals day :D

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Dont get me wrong, i hate the idea of subs in cricket. It just makes it more complicated than it needs to be. But if you're going to do something then at least do it properly. Day / Nighters already has too much based on luck (who wins the toss etc) you dont want to add to that by making it an advantage to whoever gets lucky with picking 1 sub which will only help them if they win the toss, which is the case atm.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Anna said:
Sorry! Didn't know you were a Somerset fan. I was there for James Hildreth's debut 1st class century :D & the twenty/20 finals day :D
Lucky you, then! :D

I'm not the only other Zoiderman here, either - Chubb is one, and so is/was Langeveldt, although it remains to be seen whether or not he'll ever be back on this board.

Although I may have to become a part-time Hampshire fan this summer, as I'm down here now. Also if I'm very lucky next year (i.e. if I make the Uni 2nds, which seems unlikely at the moment) I'll get to do nets at the Rose Bowl, as the top two squads are doing next Thursday. Still, it'll make a change to watch a team who can play cricket for longer than 20 overs at a time! :p :D

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Lucky you, then! :D

I'm not the only other Zoiderman here, either - Chubb is one, and so is/was Langeveldt, although it remains to be seen whether or not he'll ever be back on this board.

Although I may have to become a part-time Hampshire fan this summer, as I'm down here now. Also if I'm very lucky next year (i.e. if I make the Uni 2nds, which seems unlikely at the moment) I'll get to do nets at the Rose Bowl, as the top two squads are doing next Thursday. Still, it'll make a change to watch a team who can play cricket for longer than 20 overs at a time! :p :D
I know about Langeveldt being a Som supporter 8-) Him being banned is totally out of character.....Anyway.

I'll be a part-time Warwicks fan this summer seeing as it only takes me 15/20 mins to walk to Edgbaston. We do nets there but in the old school- 3 manky lanes......the new indoor school has something ridiculous like 8/9!!!!! I did nets at the County Ground when I was at college. Not great when you're batting (badly!) & the academy guys walk in!!!!

And that last sentence of yours.....harsh words! :tongue:

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Ian Blackwell is the best thing to come out of English cricket since Henry Blofeld. He's my new favorite Pom. In this next match, I hope he hits a century and takes all 10 wickets in a losing effort.

hamesh

Cricket Spectator
Cook

I think that Ali Cook Should havebeen given a chance to open in the last test as a replacement fo Vaughan

hamesh

Cricket Spectator
Tour match

he is exceptionally talented and England needs some young, new solid players who can field and Cook fits that perfectly