• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well bowled Blackers, rated him for quite a while, beginning to think he should be the number two spinner int he country what with his batting too (though there's the problem of his commitment).

Strauss, having seen his innings, would have been my choice of MotM.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played England :D

Still worried about Flintoffs being bowled into the ground, we need to look at the big picture here! Pick Anderson and Plunkett, and use Freddie as potential back-up if things are going wrong. Make Solanki the super-sub, his role is negligible at the moment anyway.

Oh and why was whingy Willis going on about Priors inclusion instead of Bells, couldn't be a Warwickshire bias could it 8-)

open365

International Vice-Captain
grecian said:
Oh and why was whingy Willis going on about Priors inclusion instead of Bells, couldn't be a Warwickshire bias could it 8-)
Willis is just there so the other crew can poke fun at him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Regarding Plunkett, I missed the radio commentary of most of the Pakistan innings but caught the end.

The radio blokes were gushing over his bowling being so nerveless and all that.

For those that saw it, was he really bowling *that* well, or was it hyperbole for the debutant?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought NZ's record was in danger there for awhile when I saw England going close to 330. But it turned out that Pakistan fell reasonably short anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With the batting lineup the Pakistani's had I couldn't see it being a close game from 7 or 8 overs out.

They were either going to get to the target with the likes of Razzaq hammering away or collapse in a heap.

When he hit the consecutive boundaries off Flintoff, I thought the former was the likely outcome.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose thats the bonus that NZ have. If the batting order clicks and the lower order are feeling good then our batting line-up is probably one of the strongest in ODI cricket. But in saying that, i've only ever seen NZ do that no more than 5 times over the last 3 years!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, that England line-up today looked ridiculously long - although to be fair Solanki 8 is about right, but Blackwell 9?!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Regarding Plunkett, I missed the radio commentary of most of the Pakistan innings but caught the end.

The radio blokes were gushing over his bowling being so nerveless and all that.

For those that saw it, was he really bowling *that* well, or was it hyperbole for the debutant?
hmm i would say a little bit of both

Anna

International Vice-Captain
pakster said:
[whinge mode] Bah...totally unfair, piterson should have been given out, we were playing against 12 men, batting in the lights...in the mist, england used negative spin tactics, england got away with bowling wide, afridi was unfairly banned in ODI's. [/whinge]

(not blackwell - im pretty sure he has the potential to suck, nothing special about him whatsoever).
How dare you slag off Blackie in such a way!! He bowled a fantastically tight spell just when Pakistan were threatening to take the match away- 10 overs 45 runs, which included no boundaries. Not bad at all if you ask me. I also take it you have never seen him bat?? He's one of the most destructive batsmen on the county circuit along with KP & Freddie- he scored the fastest century in firstclass cricket & hit the most sixes in one dayers last season.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
To be honest, that England line-up today looked ridiculously long - although to be fair Solanki 8 is about right, but Blackwell 9?!
has a bloke posted earlier, england are naming their super-subs with the idea that they are going to win the toss thus reducing the bowling, they should be doing it the other way around. Also with Solanki i dont really know whats the sense in having him at #8, the are just wasting him

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The super-sub rule is a farce. It should be made so the teams select their sub after the toss.

It worked out for NZ & Aus this week because Australia always wanted to bat first and NZ always wanted to bowl first so the sub worked out for both teams. But when you get a one-sided pitch and throw in the super-sub, that's going to heavily benefit one side.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Anna said:
How dare you slag off Blackie in such a way!! He bowled a fantastically tight spell just when Pakistan were threatening to take the match away- 10 overs 45 runs, which included no boundaries. Not bad at all if you ask me. I also take it you have never seen him bat?? He's one of the most destructive batsmen on the county circuit along with KP & Freddie- he scored the fastest century in firstclass cricket & hit the most sixes in one dayers last season.
Sorry, I didnt realise 'Blackies' girlfriend frequented this site :p . And I stand by my comments, he's one of those mediocre english all-rounders - in the mark elham/ronnie irani mould. Although it was entertaining to watch him twaddle after the ball in an almost inzamam-esque manner when fielding, i harldy see this overweight excuse for an allrounder setting the world ablaze with his "destructive batting"....sorry.

If he does anything noteworthy in his ODI career (5fer or a century), I will post a video of myself dancing in my boxers.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey get jigging now, the west-country boy will be our genius.

He turned it more then Udal and Giles, and theres his threatening bat to come :D