• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
After the New Zealand-Australia madness, it still appears as though chasing 300+ is difficult against decent bowling. Hopefully this, like the early losses to India in that series, will spur Pakistan on to do better. They were probably missing Afridi more than anything. The required runrate killed them in the end, and there was nobody like McCullum there to dominate the bowling.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another good day for the Durham lads, Pakistan's cricket fans seem to be the equivalent of football fans in this country.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Another good day for the Durham lads, Pakistan's cricket fans seem to be the equivalent of football fans in this country.
Was pretty disappointing to see. The jig was probably up with 8 down, but they were leaving in their droves.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A good win for Eng.

Batting was good, some of the bowling good and some awful.

Pak need to change their team as their tail is ridiculously long and kick Yousuf/Malik in the butt for squandering a good position.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
social said:
Pak need to change their team as their tail is ridiculously long and kick Yousuf/Malik in the butt for squandering a good position.
I don't think you're right on that. They'll put Afridi in for Kaneria, of course, and then Sami and Akhtar will be the only tailenders. The problem here was losing the toss and having to chase 327. This pitch was terrible.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Heh Strauss got MoM, was perm any one of 5 really.
Not the best choice. On a batting pitch like this, with Pakistan's bowling being fairly ordinary, his innings shouldn't be given such value.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Heh Strauss got MoM
Clearly wrong IMHO. I'd have said Blackwell, but I guess it would look a bit odd giving MOTM to a bowler with no wickets when two have taken 3 each.

Blackwell has done himself a lot of good I think. Looks a far better bowler than Udal (hard to compare across tests & ODIs, admittedly) but no-one was able to dominate him like Udal was. Could well be in the squad for India if he backs this performance up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yorker to finish. Good performance from us I thought. Certainly didn't miss MPV too much.... :whistling
Agreed on all counts. When Younis & Butt were going like trains, and Fred & Harmy had bowled 8 overs for 70, I thought we were dead in the water. Lots of credit to the rest of the attack for holding their nerve.

MPV's selection or otherwise will definitely be an interesting one if the current top 3 keep doing the business. Mind you, it is only one game and it was an absolute road.

greg

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Clearly wrong IMHO. I'd have said Blackwell, but I guess it would look a bit odd giving MOTM to a bowler with no wickets when two have taken 3 each.

Blackwell has done himself a lot of good I think. Looks a far better bowler than Udal (hard to compare across tests & ODIs, admittedly) but no-one was able to dominate him like Udal was. Could well be in the squad for India if he backs this performance up.
It's a bit easier when the ball's turning, unsurprisingly.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Well played England!!

I think Butt should have carried on and get a few more runs.. and Inzy should not have tried the late cut so early on in his innings but that is the way it goes, apart from those two and Kamran I think Pak played okay to chase a 300+ target but England pretty much outplayed Pak in all departments. Blackwell and plunkett bowled really well.

greg

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:

It's not "clearly wrong" IMO. There was no obvious candidate.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
greg said:
It's not "clearly wrong". There was no obvious candidate.
Well you're a ray of sunshine today, aren't you?!? That's why I said IMHO (as in In My Humble Opinion). Strauss did well, solid foundation & all that, but it was KP, Fred & Colly who turned a promising start into a potentially match-winning position.

As for Blackwell, well he comfortably outbowled Malik & Kaneria who both played on the same turning pitch as he did. I say credit where it's due. If he'd have gone for nigh-on seven per over like Kaneria did instead of 4 and a half we could've seen a very different result.