• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
How many test quality left arm wrist spinners are even there apart from Kuldeep?

Saying England are poor against left arm wrist spin cause of Kuldeep is saying that Eng are weak against right arm pace because of Bumrah.
Arrival of Kuldeep did turned the series around for India. England looked completely fine reverse sweeping Indian finger spinners until they encountered the wrist spin mystery of Kuldeep.
Not saying Muqeem is anywhere close to his level yet but I see merit in his selection.
Did well in Champions Cup too & had a match winning effort last time in Emerging Cup final vs India.

Silver Silva

International Regular
How many test quality left arm wrist spinners are even there apart from Kuldeep?

Saying England are poor against left arm wrist spin cause of Kuldeep is saying that Eng are weak against right arm pace because of Bumrah.
Last left arm wrist spinner that England faced apart from Kuldeep was Lakshan Sandakan who took 7 wickets @24 vs England back in 2018..

They are so rare that the surprise element alone is worth the punt if bowler is in good form domestically

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

Not many &, there is the actual surprise weapon.
Like Express Pacers left arm wrist spinners are rare breed

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

Cupboard is pretty bare for spinners in Pakistan anyway. I don't think England will be unhappy to play Noman Sajid level spinners on a used Multan track.
They have to be out of the box to stand a chance & unleash some surprise element.

They don't have fast bowlers to blow away opposition anyways so what option do they have?

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Last left arm wrist spinner that England faced apart from Kuldeep was Lakshan Sandakan who took 7 wickets @24 vs England back in 2018..

They are so rare that the surprise element alone is worth the punt if bowler is in good form domestically
Sandakan had enormous potential but problem with him was his accuracy. He could bowl some unplayable stuff followed with some absolute dross. That's where Kuldeep is a rare exception among left arm wrist spinners.

Seeing a few people online suggesting Stokes should come in for Bashir, why? I get he had a poor first Test, but the conditions should be much more to his favour in this Test, and with unfriendly conditions for seamers, we need to give them as much rest as we can

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seeing a few people online suggesting Stokes should come in for Bashir, why? I get he had a poor first Test, but the conditions should be much more to his favour in this Test, and with unfriendly conditions for seamers, we need to give them as much rest as we can
I don't think it's a crazy suggestion. Root is there to provide offspin if all you want from your offspinner is to give Stokes less of a workload. And lengthening the batting lineup after going 1-0 up in the series isn't exactly unheard of either.

Say the attack is
1. Atkinson
2. Carse/Woakes
3. Bashir or the other of Woakes/Carse
4. Leach
5. Stokes
6. Root

So on paper, once you decide Leach is your lead spinner and Stokes is your 5th bowler, then you could argue either of Woakes or Carse is probably a better bowler, bat and fielder than Bashir in the majority of circumstances.

I agree it would be very harsh on Bashir though. We've reason to believe he's worth more than workload relief.

greg

International Debutant
Droping bashir would be stupid esp since Pakistan are making a turner in next test
Are they “making a turner” or is it just that it is being assumed that the pitch will be more conducive to spin because they are reusing the same pitch? Sometimes older pitches can give more help for seamers as well (variable bounce etc)

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer
Are they “making a turner” or is it just that it is being assumed that the pitch will be more conducive to spin because they are reusing the same pitch? Sometimes older pitches can give more help for seamers as well (variable bounce etc)
I think it will both turn and have reverse/uneven bounce.

Pak are getting medium pacer swing bowlers (the same guys from the 2nd Bang match I assume) so might not be able to make much use of the uneven bounce/indentations as Carse/Stoke.

I don't think it's a crazy suggestion. Root is there to provide offspin if all you want from your offspinner is to give Stokes less of a workload. And lengthening the batting lineup after going 1-0 up in the series isn't exactly unheard of either.

Say the attack is
1. Atkinson
2. Carse/Woakes
4. Leach
5. Stokes
6. Root

So on paper, once you decide Leach is your lead spinner and Stokes is your 5th bowler, then you could argue either of Woakes or Carse is probably a better bowler, bat and fielder than Bashir in the majority of circumstances.

I agree it would be very harsh on Bashir though. We've reason to believe he's worth more than workload relief.
Having the 2 frontline spinners plus Root would reduce the workload on Stokes even more, especially on what promises to be a friendlier wicket for spinners (could hardly have been less friendly for most of the first Test!). Yes, he’s bowling in the nets and looking good, but it’s a tough ask to go from not being fit enough to bowl at all, to potentially bowling 30 overs

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Annoying that our batsmen only got to bat on one quintessential Pakistani track on one test of each tour because they're basically too good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Say the attack is
1. Atkinson
2. Carse/Woakes
4. Leach
5. Stokes
6. Root

Yeah if not for the rumours about the pitch I'd definitely drop Bashir and get a little more out of Root, assuming Stokes can bowl a little bit. As it is I'd probably drop Carse.