• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Molehill

International Captain
However, even I didn't expect the sort of figures he's putting together at the moment and the speed at which he scores - I've been watching cricket for a long time and I've not seen any other English player start his career like this - he's been truly unbelievable.

Of course it's early days in his career and he still has a lot to prove but he's the best England batting prospect I've ever seen.
Only similarity would be KP, who smashed those two ODI tons in SA and then made a name for himself against the best bowling attack in cricket in the 2005 Ashes. And I think there's a lot of similarities between them, except fortunately, Brook seems a lot more likeable.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
pretty happy for joe root, on account of it must be frustrating to see some absolute monglers scoring big big runs playing hack cricket while you as the man who carried the batting lineup through all the dreadful years haven't quite perfectly fit into this new style. crawley with a typical effort as well wonderfully
Before this knock today he was averaging 50+ a SR of 75 since Baz Took over. He fit into the style fine, just had a bad series or two.

Brook's side

International Debutant
Only similarity would be KP, who smashed those two ODI tons in SA and then made a name for himself against the best bowling attack in cricket in the 2005 Ashes. And I think there's a lot of similarities between them, except fortunately, Brook seems a lot more likeable.
I remember someone writing in the Guardian after he made a big ton in India for England Lions (or the then equivalent) that Ben Hollioake was going to be the next Bradman.

Obviously absolutely tragic what happened to Ben and no disrespect intended, and he was obviously a hugely talented cricketer.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
KP is a good shout - and as you say if Brook emulates him without all the off the field ****e then he'll be a massive addition for England.

Howsie

International Captain
The thing I don’t understand is why that “loyalty” only applies to certain players. Young, Phillips, Ravindra, Patel et al certainly don’t receive any of it. And - even though I don’t think he deserved to be selected last match - the dumping of Tickner here a) doesn’t make any sense and b) is a cruel way to treat any player.
Its definitely a senior player thing, and it’s stretched back a long way, even before Stead tbf although he’s taken it to the extreme. He made one big call back at the start of 2020 when he dropped Southee for Henry in the Sydney test (which was ridiculous) but since then he’s been loyal to an absolute fault.

I know plenty on here were hoping Nicholls was going to get the chop for this series, but after seeing him get the start in the one day team, a format he really shouldn’t be anywhere near in 2023 I knew there was no chance that was happening. Hell, to me it looks like we’ve gone in with 3 bowlers this test just to keep him in the playing XI..

Loyalty is all well and good but the team should always come first. Neil Wagner is the perfect example. He’s been outstanding for New Zealand for a good number of years, one of our best ever. But he’s done, and he was done 12-18 months ago. You should never pick a sportsperson on who/what they use to be but on who they are right now, and unfortunately he isn’t close to being test class anymore.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Prince Harry just needs to repeat today's performance and he breathing down on Brian Lara's 400.
I don't think anyone can get past a triple in this team without a declaration.

Also now that you said it he's going to get out 3rd ball tonight. Shameful behaviour really.

ataraxia

International Coach
Its definitely a senior player thing, and it’s stretched back a long way, even before Stead tbf although he’s taken it to the extreme. He made one big call back at the start of 2020 when he dropped Southee for Henry in the Sydney test (which was ridiculous) but since then he’s been loyal to an absolute fault.
wait we did this and played two spinners?

Howe_zat

Audio File
That dab to third man for four off a 4th stump line is the best shot of the day. Is it too much to ask for more of those and less crazy hacks? At least until we've batted another session.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Someone decides to play Mumford & Sons' The Cave as Neil Wagner comes on to bowl.

'I'll find strength in pain, and I will change my ways.'