• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
According to Cricinfo, the first test was just the second in the 145-year history of the game to feature an XI without a player younger than 30.

So for there have been 3 times when an international side has fielded a side without a player younger than 30. The last time it happened was 145 years ago before NZ fielded one vs Pakistan in the 1st test in Pakistan. We did that again in the 2nd test and here as well. We own the record for most times :cool:

Moss

It is so frustrating to see Bracewell not used much at all. He's bowling all right, the ball is old. New ball is 16 overs away.We only have 3 main bowlers and Southee barely gives the ball to Bracewell. We keep talking about lack of spinners but never bowl them in long spells. Tired of these **** captains.
It’s as if NZ captains have been reading from a (limited but previously successful) manual and scared/cbf to try anything outside it.

BazBall21

Just annoying we effectively lost a session yesterday because knowing Stokes and Baz they’ll only want to bat another hour now.

Moss

It was seaming all over the place in the first session and look at this god damn pitch map to Brook

View attachment 34834

Ignore the line because there's a left armer, but length, christ
I get the feeling this has been a regular occurrence ever since the India tour in late 2021 - with the older ball especially, plan seems to be bowl short of the time. Trouble is Wagner has been on a steep decline since then, and the other pacemen aren’t Wagner.

Meridio

International Regular
So last week for a day/night test we decided not to pick another new ball bowler alongside Southee. This week, for a test at the Basin where we have years of recent history knowing that after the first morning it gets flat as ****...we decided not to pick a third seamer. Wagner has never been that traditional third seamer type and he's cooked anyway, and Mitchell is no CDG. So what are we actually doing? How were we planning to get them out? Hope that we roll them for 30 inside 10 overs? It's just such totally muddled thinking.

Haven't been able to see any actual play today yet but judging from live commentary sounds like we could've picked up another wicket or two with more attacking fields too. The team's fallen off a cliff.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm still chuckling at Daemon worrying about the hessian covers.

It reminds me of when he bought a Guinness, just opened it and drank it straight out of the can and then complained it was full of sediment.
You ****

In my defense I was young and freshly haram

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course I have. Never again from a can though :ph34r:
Yeah, never been a fan of the cans myself. A good pint though.....in my top 3 beers I reckon. Kudos for having another crack, and I think we call all agree that pews is indeed a ****, magnified after he's reached 6 beers himself.

nzfan

It’s as if NZ captains have been reading from a (limited but previously successful) manual and scared/cbf to try anything outside it.
They just surprise me all the time... they bowled loads of Bracewell in Pakistan, picked Ish out of nowhere and underbowled Ajaz.

Now they are underbowling Bracewell, Ish was released and Ajaz didn't even make the cut in the 14 member squad. It's like a 5 year old kid captaining the backyard side.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The complaints of underbowling Macewell when we lost 20 overs in the 3rd session on a pitch he was never going to bowl more than a single over in the first session seems a bit over the top

nzfan

So last week for a day/night test we decided not to pick another new ball bowler alongside Southee. This week, for a test at the Basin where we have years of recent history knowing that after the first morning it gets flat as ****...we decided not to pick a third seamer. Wagner has never been that traditional third seamer type and he's cooked anyway, and Mitchell is no CDG. So what are we actually doing? How were we planning to get them out? Hope that we roll them for 30 inside 10 overs? It's just such totally muddled thinking.

Haven't been able to see any actual play today yet but judging from live commentary sounds like we could've picked up another wicket or two with more attacking fields too. The team's fallen off a cliff.
The stand out from the partnership Root and Brooks had was the easiness at which they rotated the strike. It was awesome to watch if you were England supporter, they barely ever played 6 balls in a row. Southee did set defensive fields. Towards the end we had long on, long off, deep mid wicket, deep square leg, deep fine leg, deep cover point. Pretty much 6 players on the rope. Obviously with Root in the middle, he milked it while playing some classy shots on his way to a lovely hundred.

Root hit 7 fours in his 100, rest came in running pretty much.
Although it looks brutal Brooks knock he still ran 1/3rd of his runs.

nzfan

The complaints of underbowling Macewell when we lost 20 overs in the 3rd session on a pitch he was never going to bowl more than a single over in the first session seems a bit over the top
Definitely not when he's your fourth bowler and the ball is 65 overs old. He's picked to bat at no.8 meaning he's one of the main bowlers. Mitchell bowled 9 overs for 61. I think Macewell may have bowled his overs in 4 spells. That is defintiely not the way to go with spinners.