• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Namibia and Zimbabwe

indie2

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So apparently they've cancelled the flight to Harare and I guess the players are stuck in S.Africa while someone decides what to do.

What are the odds on the tour being cancelled now? About even? or still likely to cop out and go ahead?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah hopefully they won't go, Elahi is said to be 'sympathetic' but Olonga said he thinks England would be ostracised by the rest of the cricket world if they dont go.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Yea, so a swing bowler would rather have seamer friendly conditions not swing bowler friendly conditions?!? I guess that would mean following your 'logic' when it gets overcast in England it becomes more seamer friendly and that's why the swing bowlers get more movement...
there is no such thing as swing bowler friendly conditions, seamer friendly bowling conditions is any conditions that are suitable for any fast bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
indie2 said:
I don't think much of Wharf, but steds' comment points to the answer for tooextracool. In Glamorgan's oneday squad, Wharf is always preferred to Jones. So in a way, if Jones can't even get a game *in Wales* how can you justify him getting a game for *england*

That said, Jones is by far the better prospect for the longer term, and I'd much prefer to see him get his chance. But he really needs to prove he's worth it, and if he can't get a game for Glamorgan it is hard to justify selecting him for England at the moment -- at least as a oneday bowler.
perhaps so, i dont really think jones should be picked, but looking at the options, id rather have someone who hasnt been tried and tested as opposed to someone whos failed.

Langeveldt

Soutie
superkingdave said:
he thinks England would be ostracised by the rest of the cricket world if they dont go.
I think they would be generally supported by the rest of the world, but not the ICC, who in my book are on the same side as the ZCU and are therefore sympathisers to the Mugabe regime.. I can't imagine Australia or NZ "condemning" them for not going..

As for the tour going ahead, probably.. Werent the BBC banned from Galle in Sri Lanka? That still went ahead

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
there is no such thing as swing bowler friendly conditions
Err yea of course not, so when you get a day night game on a cold april day in England, the team batting 2nd gets skittled for a 2 digit score after the first team gets 200+ or how about when it's a hot day in June or July with no clouds in the sky - you're seriously telling me there's no difference to swing bowling because swing bowler friendly conditions don't exist?!?

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Err yea of course not, so when you get a day night game on a cold april day in England, the team batting 2nd gets skittled for a 2 digit score after the first team gets 200+ or how about when it's a hot day in June or July with no clouds in the sky - you're seriously telling me there's no difference to swing bowling because swing bowler friendly conditions don't exist?!?
no im saying that when i say seamer friendly conditions i mean anything that is conducive for a seamer, which means that it includes swing and/or seam movement.....

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
im not sure if this has been mentioned or not but i cant be bothered to read all the prev pages!
But anyone else slightly annoyed that sky arent showing these games? (if they go ahead). Sony TV are covering the games in the UK but its a pay channel and i cant afford to pay a subscription just for 5 one day games.

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
England must not go to Zimbabwe, Mugabe is evil england must not play into his hands
Yeah, morally its an incredibly simple equation..

But then theres money, and the ICC.. both of whom give no toss about morals

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
im not sure if this has been mentioned or not but i cant be bothered to read all the prev pages!
But anyone else slightly annoyed that sky arent showing these games? (if they go ahead). Sony TV are covering the games in the UK but its a pay channel and i cant afford to pay a subscription just for 5 one day games.
SKY don't fancy getting shot at/burned/raped/pillaged/funding the ZCU.

SONY however have less morals.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpaceMonkey said:
Not really... I don't think Sky are allowed into Zimbabwe anyway, so it might not have been down to them.. Would rather they showed the Namibia games, and India v SA FFS!!!

Scaly piscine

Channel 5 poll had 95% of pollees saying England should not play - So Blair is busy debating foxhunting again and forcing it through... ICC, PM, ECB they're all abbreviations for useless.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think think they'll pull out. I'm not saying they should tour, just that they will

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
ICC, PM, ECB they're all abbreviations for useless.
Don't agree with the ECB... They are just pawns in the ICC's grand scheme of dumbing down, corruption and racism.. Not bad in themselves

Scaly piscine

ECB could have done a lot more, they've barely done anything except sit back and say "we're gonna be good little boys and we'll definitely play".

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
ECB could have done a lot more, they've barely done anything except sit back and say "we're gonna be good little boys and we'll definitely play".
Because the financial implications of not playing could cripple English cricket. I can't say I blame them tbh.. Who dishes out the fines? The ICC!

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:
Because the financial implications of not playing could cripple English cricket. I can't say I blame them tbh.. Who dishes out the fines? The ICC!
The point is all the ECB have done is write a letter and say we won't pull out. For instance they should have seen the media ban coming long before it happened and done something about it, such as try to get the ICC to put some rules in place. Most of the words and action seems to be coming from Bevan and Vaughan and they can't do a great deal - although if the squad just kept refusing to go that would really put the cat among the pigeons, could send the ICC Intercontinental Cup champs instead I suppose...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
well i think the ECB should be given some credit at last. They put their foot down and refused to go unless the media got unbanned and thats exactly what has happend.