• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

ataraxia

International Coach
What is the most runs ever conceded in an opening spell (or at least since 1980 or so when bowling 15+ overs on the trot stopped being a thing)?

ataraxia

International Coach
Re: Hartley, Bazball for spinners is "we have confidence in you, especially when you fail". It's playing the long game, and making sure the spinners know they have a chance to redeem themselves so they can bowl rather than worry. I quite like it tbh, only works with good selection though lol.

ataraxia

International Coach
I've become more and more convinced it doesn't accurately account for the flattening out of the ball's trajectory after it bounces. It's very different for spinners than it is for pacers.
I lack the physics but it's possibly relevant to compare the depth to which slips stand to spinners as to pacers, a much much greater difference than their respective pace. The ball really dies for spin, doesn't it.

ataraxia

International Coach
Obligatory note that after a recent slump (reducing an average of 80 is rather easy), Sarfaraz scored 161 (160) for India A.

Spark

Global Moderator
I lack the physics but it's possibly relevant to compare the depth to which slips stand to spinners as to pacers, a much much greater difference than their respective pace. The ball really dies for spin, doesn't it.
The only reason you can't just take the velocity of the ball at impact and project from there is due to interactions between the ball's rotation and the trajectory i.e. drift/dip. But you aren't really meant to make special dispensations for that when adjudicating LBW anyway.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've become more and more convinced it doesn't accurately account for the flattening out of the ball's trajectory after it bounces. It's very different for spinners than it is for pacers.
I dunno, I my experience spinners do often bounce the ball surprisingly steeply. Maybe not as steep as some hawkeyes I've seen, but I don't think there's any special flattening going on other than a normal ballistic trajectory.

Molehill

International Captain
Hartley instead of Anderson/Robinson just looks a bit daft. No way either of those 2 go for 7 an over and the way Jaiswal played Wood there's a chance they might have nicked him out too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only reason you can't just take the velocity of the ball at impact and project from there is due to interactions between the ball's rotation and the trajectory i.e. drift/dip. But you aren't really meant to make special dispensations for that when adjudicating LBW anyway.
Ideally if the technology was good enough you would. I mean, you account for sideways spin, why not overspin too? That little bit of overspin makes these height decisions for LBW's off spinners look a bit strange when the DRS shows it still rising two feet after its passed the pad.

No real solution for it though, and overall, DRS has helped spinners way more than pacers anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ideally if the technology was good enough you would. I mean, you account for sideways spin, why not overspin too? That little bit of overspin makes these height decisions for LBW's off spinners look a bit strange when the DRS shows it still rising two feet after its passed the pad.

No real solution for it though, and overall, DRS has helped spinners way more than pacers anyway.
No but like my point is that the way the law is worded, you're not meant to account for any deviations from a ballistic trajectory. I don't know how you'd model dip anyway.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno, I my experience spinners do often bounce the ball surprisingly steeply. Maybe not as steep as some hawkeyes I've seen, but I don't think there's any special flattening going on other than a normal ballistic trajectory.
Every ball bowled by a spinner has some overspin which would make it dip a fraction more (even on the path after the bounce on the way down) than any ball bowled by a pacer right?.