• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I missing something, wouldn't it be a miracle if Pant ever played Test cricket again?
:(

They've said he'll be back after the World Cup but there's really no chance he'll play this soon (if he actually makes a full recovery) tbh. Just a fool's hope.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not picking Dawson would be mad but given they didn't pick him for Pakistan I am certainly not counting on it.

I do think they will want Foakes for this one though. Would be fine with Root at 3 in India.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Not picking Dawson would be mad but given they didn't pick him for Pakistan I am certainly not counting on it.

I do think they will want Foakes for this one though. Would be fine with Root at 3 in India.
Partly depends on Leach's recovery. Wouldn't want 2-3 callow spinners on the tour. I could understand him missing the cut when Leach, Mo and Rashid were available but given the paucity of options, Dawson is the most solid, reliable and experienced choice. He doesn't spin it loads but just be accurate and let the pitches assist. I think Rehan Ahmed will tour but just can't see how you pick Jacks or Livingstone as a frontline spinner

Molehill

International Captain

England have a decent record in India when they've plucked an ageing Hampshire spinner from the County game for a one off series.

I think you could end up with the Top 6 from 2nd innings Oval (Stokes at 3), Foakes, Dawson, Leach, 2 seamers.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway I absolutely love England tours of India. Sure they usually get heavily beaten but it is not as depressing as the horrible grind that is a tour of Australia.

Really want to make the trip sometime. If it were not for two small children I would be looking at Dharamshala this time.

Molehill

International Captain
Anyway I absolutely love England tours of India. Sure they usually get heavily beaten but it is not as depressing as the horrible grind that is a tour of Australia.
Got to say, I've got a bit more hope this time. But as we know, it's the hope that kills you......

kevinw

International 12th Man
I also think if Leach and Rehan Ahmed are selected they will want a spinner who turns it away from the left-hander. I think that strengthens the case to pick Jacks (a bad idea), but Jack Carson probably comes into the mix. He's been in the Lions squad so they obviously rate him.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
India is the toughest place to tour and the home side will be strong favourites.

I think our spin options will be Leach and Rehan with support from Root. We'll also take Jacks and Dawson.

Wood will go assuming he's fit as will Tongue, and 2 of Woakes, Anderson and Robinson.

It would be really handy if Stokes can bowl a few and the batting looks after itself.

If Stokes can't bowl, someone like Sam Curran could come in to the mix. He's a good bat and his T20 mix of slower balls would be useful.

The squad will be something like:
Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Bairstow, Foakes, Wood, Woakes, Robinson, Tongue, Leach, Rehan, Jacks, Dawson

Molehill

International Captain
I've got a feeling England may rest bowlers involved in the World Cup, that could mean that Wood and Woakes miss the Tour (I don't see Woakes being selected anyway). But he should be first name on the team sheet for the Home Tests next July.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The squad will be something like:
Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Bairstow, Foakes, Wood, Woakes, Robinson, Tongue, Leach, Rehan, Jacks, Dawson
can anyone but root play spin in that squad effectively?

Molehill

International Captain
can anyone but root play spin in that squad effectively?
That's actually one of England's best spin batting squads since KP/Cook. Crawley, Duckett, Brook, Bairstow and Foakes are all half decent players of spin. Now whether that works on rank turners against Ashwin/Jadeja, who knows? But they won't die wondering....it could be they're 200 all out in 40 overs, but maybe that turns out to be competitive.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm still bitter about my Day 4 tickets for Old Trafford 2014
I remember having Day 3 tickets for Edgbaston 2015. I actually found myself willing Nevill and Starc to score more runs so we got a bit more cricket in the day.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Crawley, Duckett, Brook, Bairstow and Foakes
nah you shouldn't take playing spin in pak pitches seriously. crawley averages 16 in india and 8 in sri lanka. duckett i think played well in bangladesh once so i would rate his skills more than crawley's. foakes looked promising last time in india. neither too defensive nor too bad vs spin. brook sucked in the ipl when ball turned. bairstow was hilarious in the last ind test series.

Molehill

International Captain
nah you shouldn't take playing spin in pak pitches seriously. crawley averages 16 in india and 8 in sri lanka. duckett i think played well in bangladesh once so i would rate his skills more than crawley's. foakes looked promising last time in india. neither too defensive nor too bad vs spin. brook sucked in the ipl when ball turned. bairstow was hilarious in the last ind test series.
Remember all last India Tests were pre-Baz, so hard to guage really. Crawley sucked everywhere.....

Foakes got a ton in SL too, he can certainly play spin.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

He was part of the bowling attack that saw Nair get his triple back in 2016.

Would like to think he's improved since then.