• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Molehill

International Captain
England team confirmed

This has been a weird product of Stokes/McCullum, teams are always announced 1-3 days before a game.(they leaked it was likely wood to replace Bashir yesterday)

They left it a day later this week as they weren't quite sure on the pitch. There were also rumours that Rehan was going to be left out (could've been visa related). Not convinced I'd have gone with Wood over Robinson, but hope he proves me wrong. At least he can be used slightly more sparingly with Jimmy also playing.

I suspect this is the attack the Indians least wanted to see so it's probably a good one.

Molehill

International Captain
I'll rephrase then. I don't understand why they make it public.

Not sure what was wrong with the team being announced at the toss/the morning of the test.

Sides could change their plans based off our early announcements.
But that's kind of the point of Bazball again. It's just saying that we have a plan, we know what we're going to do. You do what you like, it won't change us.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I have to say I don't particularly see the point of naming the side early but equally I don't see that it gives the opposition any advantage either.

All England fans love Woody both off and on the field but he was very ineffective in the 1st test.

Obviously this is a different pitch but unless it has a bit of pace and bounce about it, surely Robinson would have been a better option.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
But that's kind of the point of Bazball again. It's just saying that we have a plan, we know what we're going to do. You do what you like, it won't change us.
True enough, just can see it backfiring on a day when the weather changes between the announcement of the side and the day of the game.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I don't think Robinson's ever been the sharpest tool in the box. Even if he does believe what's been attributed to him here, someone should have advised him to keep those thoughts to himself.
Ran his mouth before the Ashes and yet he was largely poor.

Got a few cheap wickets to make his average look a lot better than what it should have been.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I don’t like the narrative that somehow we're trying to save test cricket and other teams need to follow us on that quest.

What Stokes and McCullum have done is to remove some or maybe all of the fear of failure from players and that's some achievement.

It's also elevated the interest in test cricket in England. The Ashes is always massive for cricket lovers but for the general public, it's only the odd series- 1981 and 2005, that really attracts an audience beyond the norm.

But last summer the interest before the series started was the biggest I've known and that's largely to due to Bazball.

Bijed

International Regular
True enough, just can see it backfiring on a day when the weather changes between the announcement of the side and the day of the game.
Yeah, I absolutely get the logic re naming a team internally early for the clarity it provides for the team (how much difference does it make? I don't know, but as I say, I cant get why they do it), but announcing it has the potential for a tangible disadvantage and surely it wouldn't mess up internal harmony or anything if they just kept it quiet?