• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Xix2565

International Regular
Ok, that's your analysis.
It would give the English batters more easy overs to score more runs. And tire out the main 4 bowlers more than having a 5th option that's been possible largely because of the all-round quality in subcontinental conditions of some players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reham Ahmed now has visa issues in re-entry to India.

The England camp are confident it can be sorted out.
lol.. the ECB are just ****ing morons. Apparently Rehan used a single entry visa he had from the WC, where he was a standby, to get in and they never realized this nor applied another for him to get in. Anyways, he was allowed back in as a special case and they are sorting out the paperwork to get the visa done.

More and more confident the earlier issues were down to the ECB as well.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It would give the English batters more easy overs to score more runs. And tire out the main 4 bowlers more than having a 5th option that's been possible largely because of the all-round quality in subcontinental conditions of some players.
Outside India, I will definitely go with 5 bowlers due to the tiredness factor for the pacers. But with 3 spinners playing, I don't think 2 pacers are required. Bumrah alone is sufficient. Spinners can bowl all through the day without getting tired as we have seen multiple times before.

On the easy overs thing, there is no rusk without risk. Have to give a chance to the part-timers to see if they are effective. If they are not, then we can try the others.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Outside India, I will definitely go with 5 bowlers due to the tiredness factor for the pacers. But with 3 spinners playing, I don't think 2 pacers are required. Bumrah alone is sufficient. Spinners can bowl all through the day without getting tired as we have seen multiple times before.

On the easy overs thing, there is no rusk without risk. Have to give a chance to the part-timers to see if they are effective. If they are not, then we can try the others.
Even outside India it depends on the pitches. Playing 5 bowlers in Australia makes sense because we've got flat pitches there, but playing 5 in places like SA where our matches frequently finish in 3 days with the 5th bowler barely needing to bowl has always been incredibly dumb. Even sometimes in England its hurt us badly.

Xix2565

International Regular

2 pacers have worked well for a long time in India though? I don't get why this isn't clear. I don't see how having 1 pacer is better overall, you don't have as much threat and variety throughout the innings, and given that Bumrah isn't exactly super durable, it would be silly to increase his workload. Bowling more spin so far hasn't always been that successful, so the pace options become more necessary. Mukesh being poor and Siraj not getting overs doesn't change that.

Yeah but you don't want to make it easier for England right? Even with the mess of a batting lineup in experience and execution India's managed more runs across the series so far and to let England have more easy targets to Bazball at seems silly.

Niall

International Coach
2 pacers have worked well for a long time in India though? I don't get why this isn't clear. I don't see how having 1 pacer is better overall, you don't have as much threat and variety throughout the innings, and given that Bumrah isn't exactly super durable, it would be silly to increase his workload. Bowling more spin so far hasn't always been that successful, so the pace options become more necessary. Mukesh being poor and Siraj not getting overs doesn't change that.

Yeah but you don't want to make it easier for England right? Even with the mess of a batting lineup in experience and execution India's managed more runs across the series so far and to let England have more easy targets to Bazball at seems silly.
No perfect solution, but surely someone like Washy brings more to the side than the second seamer?

Daemon

It's less about the perfect theoretical 3+2, 4+1, 3+1 or whatever combination, but more about who's actually available and what the pitch is like.

If you have both Bumrah and Shami available (or even Siraj/Umesh), 2 quicks at home makes sense on most decks. If the 2nd fast bowling option is Mukesh ****ing Kumar you're just far better off just picking someone like Washy unless you're dead sure it's going to be a pretty helpful one for seam up.

The Indian 3-5 has been hilariously awful over the last few years (thanks for the statsguruing @ankitj ). The overall lineup has only been reasonably successful thanks to a couple of decent opening efforts as well as lower order bailouts. The very little potential upside from picking someone like Mukesh is far outweighed by the absolute need of engine room runs.

1707797665302.png

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, quite frankly, Washy was more likely to pick up wickets last test on that surface than Mukesh ever was.

And I say this as one of the bigger Mukesh fans in this forum. He is certainly good enough to play as the 3rd seamer in SEN conditions or pitches that are similar, but that was absolutely not the right pitch nor conditions for him.

Xix2565

International Regular
No perfect solution, but surely someone like Washy brings more to the side than the second seamer?
Honestly speaking, not really. I get the complaints about the lack of runs, but a lot of the struggles recently have been down to conditions aiding opposition bowlers more than usual compared to pre 2021 matches, along with general player shuffling due to form/age/injuries. And even then they've still been able to make more runs than the opposition most games. The issues with having only 1 pacer would be more destabilizing because it directly affects their chances of taking 20 wickets at a cheaper rate than England/any opposition. Bumrah can't bowl forever (ideally you'd want to get more from him given his returns so far) and the spinners so far haven't been as penetrative as I would've liked.

As for Mukesh, it's just been one game in India, and people are acting like Indian team management are committing war crimes just for that. To pretend like that's all we can ever expect from him in these conditions is crazy. Like at least give new players a decent run before throwing them away? He's earned his spot in the backups for a reason, one game shouldn't change that even if he's not going to have a long career due to his age. Washington I feel could've been a decent backup for the Test team for a long time now, but hasn't been helped by his injuries and lack of space for him. Honestly, could've replaced one of Pujara or Rahane for a decent run just to see how good he really is with the bat.

Naveed Qaisar

Cricket Spectator
Certainly! Here's the information about the upcoming Test matches between England and India:

Test 3 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

• Date: Feb 15–19
  • Time: 9:00 am
  • Teams: India (IND) vs England (ENG)
Test 4 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

• Date: Feb 23–27
Test 5 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

• Date: Mar 7–11

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly! Here's the information about the upcoming Test matches between England and India:

Test 3 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

Test 4 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

Test 5 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

Can you calculate the amount of mewing I would need to do to make stacy answer my calls? Or do I need more money?

Daemon

Test 3 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

Test 4 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

Test 5 of 5 (Tied 1-1)

What is the proper etiquette for rubbing one out under the table?