• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
When did the "soft call" become a thing? Never heard about it when every catch that went up stairs used to be given not out on the grounds that it didn't carry.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Sure - but they're generally once England have already collapsed around him.

Williamson tends to do it when we're still in with a shot.
Haven't checked the stats, but not sure I agree with this. Can think of multiple instances where Root has got out in that range when games have been in the balance/England are on top.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When did the "soft call" become a thing? Never heard about it when every catch that went up stairs used to be given not out on the grounds that it didn't carry.
Isn't that exactly why it was brought in? It makes sense as it gives the third umpire a clearer role in every situation.

The first 3rd umpire job was runouts, which was usually obvious on replay, so then when they brought in carrying checks they assumed it could be done the same way. It can't though. The third umpire needs something to work from there.

Red Wingz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pretty sure we'll have a rank turner in the next match after watching how england have played here

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yadav to Ali, no run, back of a length outside off, again Moeen flays at it away from his body. This time it swings away late and beats his outside edge
Aww he's still the same guy we knew

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's relatively recent isn't it, simply because all those calls were giving not out. Good thing for me, even if it's annoying this time.

Moeen in a bit of a struggle, combination of losing his partner and a bit of Reverse? or is he just nervous about his potential landmark?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate it tbh. It's basically umpires call again which sucks for decisions like this because the third umpire is actually making a decision using his own instincts, instead if it being just a checklist like drs lbws (where umpires law makes more sense). It doesn't make sense that the decision made by the umpire having the benefit of TV replays and slow mos is lower on the ladder than the instinctive decision made by an umpire on the field.

Also, does the on field umpire have to make a soft decision? What if he genuinely has no idea? Is he essentially forced to blindly guess.

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's out, and I think Gibbs catch was out too.

But if I were umpiring Id give that not out tbh; just for the sake of consistency with past calls like this that have been declared not out. Fumble the ball right after catching it and before it had sort of occurred to everyone else but you that you're out - it's not out.

Thats nice from Stokes. Looks like a Roady McRoady Road.

91Jmay

International Coach
Superb day. Great that we got 92 overs in, and we're in a really good position. Hope Moeen tons up tomorrow and we get a 50+ score from Stokes or Bairstow. Then as long as the tail wags we should be past the 400 mark.