• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think control of the ball is a bit of a red herring anyway, because it has to have control of his own movement for it to be a fair catch, and given he was still in his follow-through he pretty clearly didn't IMO.

Like I said though we've all seen fielders catch and release quicker than that before they've really gained control over their own movement before and it never seems to matter unless they're near the boundary. I think the ruling of out is consistent in our weird little world of inconsistency but I think as per the letter of the law it wasn't actually out.
But him intentionally tossing the ball up after having both hands wrapped around the ball firmly was indication that he had control over his own movement.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, he juggled the ball and never had control.
Nope.

Have a look at the catch. He was doing the kind of throw where you thrust open your palms upwards in a V-fashion and the ball pops up to some height. Just did it poorly, as it happens sometimes with that kind of an action. Has happened to me as well many times.
The juggling bit came later and wasn't part of the equation.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I think control of the ball is a bit of a red herring anyway, because it has to have control of his own movement for it to be a fair catch, and given he was still in his follow-through he pretty clearly didn't IMO.

Like I said though we've all seen fielders catch and release quicker than that before they've really gained control over their own movement before and it never seems to matter unless they're near the boundary. I think the ruling of out is consistent in our weird little world of inconsistency but I think as per the letter of the law it wasn't actually out.
To be fair though, it sounds stupid to say but that is clearly quite different from throwing a ball away to stop yourself going over the rope. One is a deliberate act of removing the possession of the ball from yourself, the other is clearly an act of celebration.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's giving out because of the soft call by the umpire who was a few feet from it happening, really no point in wahhing.

Worse things have happened today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But him intentionally tossing the ball up after having both hands wrapped around the ball firmly was indication that he had control over his own movement.
He had control over his arms; he didn't have control over his legs yet.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain

And key words here are 'and of further disposal'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair though, it sounds stupid to say but that is clearly quite different from throwing a ball away to stop yourself going over the rope. One is a deliberate act of removing the possession of the ball from yourself, the other is clearly an act of celebration.
Yeah but the law isn't actually written like that. We've kind of common-law'd our way to that distinction, which I think is largely fine but it's worth thinking about.

Blocky

Banned
Aside for your piss take about KW's guts, I do think Root has his nose in front of both Smith & KW as of this moment. In fact I had him slightly ahead coming into this series.
Root has that ability to grind when he's winning, it reminds me of the Steve Waugh / Ricky Ponting / Matt Hayden / Sangakkara ability that you don't see him give his innings away that frequently. I think Williamson's let down, and alarmingly also Latham's is that they get themselves into equal positions and throw it away. Rather than finding ways to get into winning positions from their starts.

91Jmay

International Coach
Root has that ability to grind when he's winning, it reminds me of the Steve Waugh / Ricky Ponting / Matt Hayden / Sangakkara ability that you don't see him give his innings away that frequently. I think Williamson's let down, and alarmingly also Latham's is that they get themselves into equal positions and throw it away. Rather than finding ways to get into winning positions from their starts.
You are literally describing Root's achilles heel.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always been a closeted "Gibbs didn't really drop the WC" believer. The 'have control of the ball' bit has always seemed rather vague to me.