• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

91Jmay

International Coach
Was surprised by the pace Jadeja bowled. Seemed a lot more loopy stuff that I am used to seeing him bowl, likely because of the pitch.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Soft signal (ie) umpires call sort of works for lbws because all the third umpire does in that situation is gp through a checklist. He's not actually making a decision on his own with the data available to him. He's just following a wet of strict guidelines

In situations like the catch though, the third umpire has access to numerous replays and should be expected to actually make a decision on his own. I fail to see the logic of not giving his decision a higher priority since he's making it with more information at hand than the on field umpire.
Because he was closer to the incident then anyone else, and may well have got the sense that the bowler and bat thought he'd taken it, which is the essence. Personally I think he should have just given it.

Stapel

International Regular
Because he was closer to the incident then anyone else, and may well have got the sense that the bowler and bat thought he'd taken it, which is the essence. Personally I think he should have just given it.
Being closer (as a human) does not beat having a gazillion different camera reviews, does it? Not per se at least.....

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
For ****'s sake England, giving us hope on the very first day. Not what we need.

Impression I got from catching the last few overs was that the pitch is pretty damn flat? And the slight extra pace could be beneficial to our quicks, but not substantially enough to mean we don't still need a big score.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For ****'s sake England, giving us hope on the very first day. Not what we need.

Impression I got from catching the last few overs was that the pitch is pretty damn flat? And the slight extra pace could be beneficial to our quicks, but not substantially enough to mean we don't still need a big score.
England is pretty much guaranteed a big total from here. Anything below 450 will need a mini-collapse, considering the tail you have.

India's only chance of getting ahead in the game will come in the 3rd innings imo, when the pitch will suit our bowlers more (assuming we at least get close to the 1st innings total).

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

We'll have to wait and see if it's still reversing and whether our bowlers can keep it tight, but there was a lot of leg-side stuff from their pacemen come the end which meant it wasn't looking as dangerous as it could have done, and did earlier.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Dropped catches ,Shami having injury trouble and Mishra being so poor hurt India today. I think Ashwin was okay, but he seemed to be the only one capable of taking wickets for most of the day.

On Yadav, Kohli seems to like the idea of having his reverse swing and pace around but is that the only reason why he keeps Kumar out? Kumar is way more skilled if you ask me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dropped catches ,Shami having injury trouble and Mishra being so poor hurt India today. I think Ashwin was okay, but he seemed to be the only one capable of taking wickets for most of the day.

On Yadav, Kohli seems to like the idea of having his reverse swing and pace around but is that the only reason why he keeps Kumar out? Kumar is way more skilled if you ask me.
Kumar is injured.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I can totally imagine Cook setting India a target 350+ on day 5, and Kohli approaching it like a gladiator.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So they bowled 93 overs in a day? Is this something you can do now if you have time?

I always thought you stopped the day at 90 overs, regardless of how quickly you get through it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So they bowled 93 overs in a day? Is this something you can do now if you have time?

I always thought you stopped the day at 90 overs, regardless of how quickly you get through it.
You play to time, with the potential of an extra half hour to get the overs in if you're behind. If you're ahead, you keep bowling until the scheduled close.

It's just that you rarely see teams get to the 90 in a day before the end of the extra half hour, let alone the scheduled close of play

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You play to time, with the potential of an extra half hour to get the overs in if you're behind. If you're ahead, you keep bowling until the scheduled close.

It's just that you rarely see teams get to the 90 in a day before the end of the extra half hour, let alone the scheduled close of play
What if it's a 5th day and a team is playing for a draw or there's a close run chase?

Surely you can't just play til the close regardless of overs. In those situations there's always a countdown of overs left, regardless of time.

So is it only for days 1-4?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member

You carry on to the scheduled close, it just never happens, usually if they do finish the 90 it is in the extra half hour so past the scheduled close. I think it happened at least once or twice in Bangladesh as well though.