• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in England and UK

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
It's not that...I'm keen, but it's been a fair while... And I'd like to see how we're going in the ode dayers...But I guess I can wait...The Foxes are good value mind you...A fine comedy act mind you...You can't get better quality atm...

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Gutted to get dropped, but I guess it been coming for a while. I have never really performed at the level that the team wants to perform at Test Cricket these days, apart from a couple match winning performances. I guess in a way its a good sign of the way the selectors want to go in Test Cricket. Well done to Jasotharan on making his debut, he deserved it after all the runs he has scored at FC level.

Pretty disappointing not to win either of the last two Tests. I thought the batsmen had played brillantly all series so far. The amazing thing has been how little we have missed Goff, since he retired. The bowling performance hasn't been that great. This tour match could be a big one for Borcich and Collins to push for a Test debut. Hopefully a couple of the bowlers really put their hand up and give the selectors some tough decisions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Somerset

ME Trescothick
NJ Edwards
JL Langer (c)
JC Hildreth
WJ Durston
ID Blackwell
PD Trego
C Kieswetter (wk)
PS Jones
MK Munday
CM Willoughby

CW XI

T Mamesh
DP Smith
CR Butler
RJ Dauth
S Jasotharan (wk)
MW Wilson
TC Halsey
NA Borcich
DM Kennett
AAA Collins
TJ Demeza

Neil Pickup

Time for some of the bowlers to step up and bowl a side out - at Taunton of all places, a 'blitz' haul would go a long way to Fourth Test selection, I feel.

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Hopefully I can score some runs in this match, to keep myself in the selectors thoughts. Can't see myself pushing for 1st XI spot, unless I score a 200 or something.

After this match Arnold would be the only top opening batsmen in the country I have batted with now in FC, i think. I presume the MCC match wasn't given FC status. Hak (Reds & CW), Pete (Blue & CW), Simon (CWA) and now Smith (CW).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jasotharan powers CW XI past Somerset
Cricket Web XI vs Somerset - Taunton

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

Cricket Web XI eased past Somerset, despite moments of mediocrity, and issued a 189-run win in their warmup for the final Test against England. Thamba Mamesh (93) returned to form in style with a flawless innings, after his opening partner Dan Smith struggled to 28 and then perished to a young legspinner Mike Munday.

Butler (13) and Dauth (3) similarly fell cheaply, but a stunning partnership between Shan Jasotharan and Mike Wilson kept things well on track. Over the course of 11.1 overs, the two Colts batsmen delighted in an 86-run partnership and took full advantage of some loose medium-paced bowling by Somerset. Wilson slashed at a wide ball and was unlucky to bottom-edge to Kieswetter behind the stumps, and though the tail offered little, Jasotharan's brilliance was enough to elevate the score to 295. Though his stay lasted just 46 balls, a contribution of 75 runs was the clear highlight of the day, with 7 fours and 2 sixes.

For the remainder of the day it was the turn of Nick Borcich in the spotlight. Bowling full and straight he accounted for the high profile duo of Trescothick and Langer for 3 runs between them. At the tail-end of his opening spell of 4 for 8, he picked up the wickets of James Hildreth and Ian Blackwell, and Somerset tottered at 34-4. In the final over of the day, Collins trapped Edwards lbw and Cricket Web XI were well on top at 66-5. But the dominance hardly glistened the following day. Instead Will Durston fought back with the lower order and made a solid 82 to the cause. Handy contributions also came from Trego (39) and Kieswetter (60), so Somerset limited the deficit to 54 and achieved 241 all out.

Adam Collins finished with 5 wickets, whilst Borcich failed to add to the heroics of his first spell, ending with 4-51. The frustration of the bowling day over, the Webheads looked to ease back into their batting tasks and did so with much greater effect than the first innings. Though Smith was run out before he could score and Mamesh flashed outside offstump on 12, the middle order found its voice. Butler tolled in with an even hundred, and Dauth looked comfortable for his 33. But again Jasotharan and Wilson snatched the limelight. On this occasion their partnership lasted 7.5 overs for 68 runs. Wilson played around a full toss on 35, and left Jasotharan with Halsey as the wicketkeeper-batsman marched toward another first-class ton.

Kennett allowed him time to reach his milestone before the declaration, and he did so with consecutive sixes off Blackwell, then charged after the left-armer for another six and a four off the following two deliveries. Jasotharan was unbeaten on 115 from 305-5 declared, setting a target of 360 for Somerset to chase. It was hardly a competition from there, as Demeza snatched 5 wickets and Somerset crumbled for 170. Again the lower order showed the most fight, but after Trescothick and Langer fell cheaply for the second time around, CW XI sailed home.

Cricket Web XI 1st innings 295 (71.3 overs)
T Mamesh 93, S Jasotharan 75, MW Wilson 41
PS Jones 4-57, CM Willoughby 2-44, ID Blackwell 2-49

Somerset 1st innings 241 (78.2 overs)
WJ Durston 82, C Kieswetter 60, PD Trego 39
AAA Collins 5-48, NA Borcich 4-51

Cricket Web XI 2nd innings 305-5 dec. (59 overs)
S Jasotharan 115*, CR Butler 100, MW Wilson 35
CM Willoughby 2-54

Somerset 2nd innings 170 (65.5 overs)
PD Trego 37, ID Blackwell/C Kieswetter 24
TJ Demeza 5-38, NA Borcich 2-25

Cricket Web XI won by 189 runs.
Man of the Match: S Jasotharan

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Another golden duck. I've forgotten my forward defense, again.

5'fer for two blue boys :cool: Borcich opening spell was mean, well done Nick :)

Well batted Jaso and Mike twice, and Butler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Borcich in for Cricket Web XI

Fast bowler Nick Borcich has been drafted into the Cricket Web XI squad for the fourth Test against England. Borcich replaces legspinner Tom Halsey, as CW XI look for more firepower in sealing a series win. CW XI lead the series 1-0.

For England, Mark Ramprakash has been recalled to England colours. He replaces Owais Shah, who has struggled throughout this series at the number three spot.

Cricket Web XI squad:
H Mork (wk), PE Young, AP Cloete, CR Butler, S Jasotharan, RJ Dauth, MW Wilson, NA Borcich, DM Kennett, NS Pickup (c), TJ Demeza. 12th Man: DP Smith.

England squad:
AN Cook, MP Vaughan (c), MR Ramprakash, KP Pietersen, PD Collingwood, IR Bell, MJ Prior (wk), SCJ Broad, RJ Sidebottom, MJ Hoggard, MS Panesar. 12th Man: GP Swann.