• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW English Meet-Up

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Right, 2007.

This thread, aside from making Phoenix Fire look really bloody silly, has given me the spark of an idea.

Last summer we got 10 CWers together in Birmingham and messed around with an incrediball for an afternoon. This summer, why can't we get 11 together, find a willing club in the Midlands to host us one Sunday in August, and play as the Cricket Web XI for the first time?

As is obvious from the history of CW meetups, nothing happens unless I organise it, so shotgun the captaincy. What I want to know is: who will in the UK next summer and willing to spend one Sunday afternoon representing Cricket Web on the field of play?
Definitely up for it, and shotgun the vice-captaincy, seeing as I'm one of the few who is likely to have had captaincy experience. :cool:

If I'm available, sounds like a great idea. I suggest we try our hardest to recruit those among us who can actually play, though, especially if you and I are going to be the captaincy unit. By that I mean Hingston, Bowman, Crampton, Roberts, Young, maybe some others who I can't think of.

Chubb

International Regular
Great idea. I'm definately up for it as well, but if you can get a stronger side out then don't select me.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
depends.
in august i'll be gone for 2 weeks to southern France with 7 mates.
and I need to save money for Australia...
but other then that, i'm willing to come over... :)

i'll lugher vice captaincy over Pitt :p
more captaincy experiance :D

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ipswich > Birmingham

Takes 3:30 hours on the train. One way of going is via London, the other is via Peterborough. Ticket price is probably the worst bit.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
:horse:

Would love to, if only to see everyone and donate my skills. :) Would be an effort. Any idea of a likely XI, or fifteen? Just not sure how good CW players are.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nnanden said:
:horse:

Would love to, if only to see everyone and donate my skills. :) Would be an effort. Any idea of a likely XI, or fifteen? Just not sure how good CW players are.
We're a mixed bag - few of us fringe of county youth teams, few of us 'social' cricketers... Crampton's a handy keeper, my worry really is we're mainly bowlers so might struggle to really get a decent total... might have to use myself as a pinch hitter...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Doesn`t sound too bad. Again, I don`t know how good everyone is, but I`d feel more than capable of holding up and end with bat or ball if someone else can do the damage. :)

Matteh

I nominate myself for either of the number 10 or 11 positions in the batting lineup. :mellow:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Hmmm, possibility, depending on what excuse I can stump up to my parents to go to the other side of the country with my cricket gear...

Hmmm, maybe not. I've actually had a thought about this a couple of times, with (strangely) the same idea that Neil would end up as a pinch hitter. Would be great fun if it happened, particularly if someone could fix up some live text commentary for CW.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
We're a mixed bag - few of us fringe of county youth teams, few of us 'social' cricketers... Crampton's a handy keeper, my worry really is we're mainly bowlers so might struggle to really get a decent total... might have to use myself as a pinch hitter...
Suggested strongest XI (although I have next to no idea about the standard of some people so forgive me if I'm drastically over-rating or under-rating you):

Langveldt
PY
Kweek
Nnanden
Chubb
Barney Rubble
The Baconator+
open365
Neil Pickup*
Jungle Jumbo
Matteh (voted yourself into no11 there :p)

I have a feeling I might be doing open365 an injustice there, and I have no idea how many of those people are actually able to make it.

andyc

Would be the best idea, especially the live text commentary.

Has to be said though, an Australian CW team> English CW team.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I have a feeling I might be doing open365 an injustice there, and I have no idea how many of those people are actually able to make it.
Nah, have a click on that link in his sig. :p