• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Aidan O’Brien suggests Tower Of London and Grosvenor Square could both be Melbourne Cup-bound.

The Curragh Cup was won by Vintage Crop (1993), Rekindling (2017) and Twilight Payment (2020) the same year as their Melbourne Cup victories. Vintage Crop (1995) and Red Cadeaux (2011) won and then placed down under.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Humdinger at Glorious Goodwood as Big Evs just gets the better of Asfoorah this time by a nose. The 2nd slightly impeded by another when making her run, but an awesome race.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Only got to see her once in Europe and it wasn't even her anywhere near her best and she won. Freak of a horse and possibly the best ever over those distances.

Molehill

International Captain
Only got to see her once in Europe and it wasn't even her anywhere near her best and she won. Freak of a horse and possibly the best ever over those distances.
A special mare, but no way she’d have beaten Dayjur!!

Race of the Summer at York today, can City Of Troy see off a really talented field? I’m very intrigued by Calandagan, but not sure this is his best distance,

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
A special mare, but no way she’d have beaten Dayjur!!

Race of the Summer at York today, can City Of Troy see off a really talented field? I’m very intrigued by Calandagan, but not sure this is his best distance,
Different eras obviously, but for a long time now those Australian sprinters have just been in a different class to anything in Europe. Must have something to do with all that sunshine or something. They are cr4p over long though.

Speaking of longer, kinda disappointed with the lads who seem set on sticking with the 10F distance with City of Troy for the rest of the season. Hopefully he wins in a way that convinces them to go for an Arc run.

Molehill

International Captain
Speaking of longer, kinda disappointed with the lads who seem set on sticking with the 10F distance with City of Troy for the rest of the season. Hopefully he wins in a way that convinces them to go for an Arc run.
Pretty certain there's only one race he's heading to now and that's the Breeder's Cup Classic. Only 2 European winners of that ever, he's certainly bred to cope with the dirt.

Calandagan in 2nd ran a huge race. If it doesn't come up too soft in the Arc then he'd be my idea of the winner there.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Pretty certain there's only one race he's heading to now and that's the Breeder's Cup Classic. Only 2 European winners of that ever, he's certainly bred to cope with the dirt.

Calandagan in 2nd ran a huge race. If it doesn't come up too soft in the Arc then he'd be my idea of the winner there.
That makes sense. A win there probably does more for his stallion profile than an Arc win.

Molehill

International Captain
That makes sense. A win there probably does more for his stallion profile than an Arc win.
His stallion profile is probably rock solid already. Whichever one of the Coolmore posse thought it a good idea to match Justify with turf mares has probably created the biggest dirt originated gene pool to impact Europe since Northern Dancer.....and of course City Of Troy mixes both those bloodlines.

I suspect City Of Troy won't be the last world beater he sires.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then they get to breed all the Galileo mares with City of Troy and any other Justify progeny so keep the genes clean. Frightening to lose the greatest and replace him so easily.

Molehill

International Captain
Then they get to breed all the Galileo mares with City of Troy and any other Justify progeny so keep the genes clean. Frightening to lose the greatest and replace him so easily.
Can't do that, CoT is out of a Galileo mare (which you could argue is also where much of his class stems from).

Molehill

International Captain
I never looked properly. They can technically do it with Justify not linked though.
This is where the world of breeding gets murky. I think the general rule would be that CoT could match up with a Cracksman mare for example, Cracksman being son of Frankel who was son of Galileo, but anything earlier in the bloodline is not allowed.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Asfoora had every chance to run on and win and didn't...she wasn't good enough. Simple as that. It's been a big campaign for her. She ran 4th in Nunthorpe Stakes (G1).

4 starts outside Aust for 1 win, 1 2nd and two 4ths. Good effort.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Asfoora had every chance to run on and win and didn't...she wasn't good enough. Simple as that. It's been a big campaign for her. She ran 4th in Nunthorpe Stakes (G1).

4 starts outside Aust for 1 win, 1 2nd and two 4ths. Good effort.
Decent effort. Vaguely remember hearing that some in Australia thought it would be a waste of time sending her to Europe. Connections must be feeling very smug right now.

Molehill

International Captain
The sprinting division in Europe remains a mess, no obvious top dog. Not sure any horse has won 2 Group Races this year. Hopefully Bradsell can go and win the L'Abbaye now, but that's the only big 5 furlong race remaining and I can't see him winning at 6.