• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Cricket World Cup 2004 Discussion and Results

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah! what a game! Blewy was awesome, but Liam was just as good, with his side under pressure.

We're in the final!:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Some great bowling by the unsung bowlers in that game - there were 2 points when I felt they were going to get away to a big one, but we fought back superbly!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Great effort by all the boys, we showed what we can do this match, and throughout this whole tournament we have shown that we do not rely on 1 or 2 players to get us through, everyone at some stage has put their hand up and done whats needed. Like i said before the semi "we win and this game will be forgotten and we move onto better things, however if we lose we will always remember this game as the one that got away" well we have won the match and now the BIG one beckons, all i will say is savour the moment, lap it up, as this is our day and no matter what happens it will never be taken away from us, however we can only enhance it so that the memories are great instead of just good...

I would also like to say a big thanx the the squad members who have not had as much of an onfield part, you guys have been a great help and your support has been superb.
Lets all play our best game of our careers, in the game that counts....

GO CRICKETWEB!!!!

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Good luck from the Dev League guys. we'll stop training just to watch you guys. Good luck to all the Red boys to. there are lots of you over there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CW XI vs West Indies - THE FINAL

Rich_2001
Bugssy
Cloete (vc)
Blewy (C)
Eclipse
Marc71178
Peter Young
Lucky Eddie
Mr Mxyzptlk
Mr Ponting
Neil Pickup

12th Man: Rik

Mr Mxyzptlk

**the World Cup Final**

70,000 fans here today for this, the 2004 World Cup final. Two weeks of competition leading up to this moment. Both teams - the West Indies and the CW XI - have played superb cricket to get this far and both teams have everything to gain.

The CW XI are playing in their first World Cup tournament and look to repeat history, set by the West Indies in the very first World Cup. The West Indies have not won the Cup in 15 years and will hope to finally achieve gold again.

Brian Lara will miss this game, which is an advantage to Cricket Web, but then again, the West Indies beat Australia without him.

We're all set for the toss of what we hope will be another fascinating matchup in a competition which has seen it's fair share.

Blewy: Heads
Tails is the coin.
Sarwan: We'll have a bat.

It will be Lucky Eddie to take the new ball at the start of this 2004 World Cup final....

Attachments

Cloete

International Captain
The one time all tournament the bowling let us down and it relaly cost us!! Great batting performance by us though!! Hold your heads up high though, we're World Cup RUnners-Up :D

Neil Pickup

I don't feel that that is a fair assertion.

Yes, you may have dropped Gayle first up but it was more than that that went wrong in the field.

I personally feel that my own bowling was better than either of my lots-for-not-many returns against Zimbabwe, but it means nothing at all in defeat. I'd far rather have taken 0-70 and won.

Roll on WC 2005 in Australia and New Zealand...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Where do we go from here?

The CW XI players will return to Australia from the West Indies today and, after a hero's welcome (like the champions we are), will be released to join their families with paid flights to the various parts of the world. The players will then re-convene at the CW Oval Auditorium for the Anniversary Ceremony on Sunday 23rd.

Players will be eligible for selection to their various Dev League affiliates from Monday 24th May, but will not automatically get selected. Those players who wish to rest will be allowed to do so.

At a later date, the schedule for the next overseas tour will be announced and the usual routine of squad announcement etc. will follow. This tour will coincide with an 'A' team tour (likely to England).

Yes, it is disappointing to have missed out on the World Cup, but it's a great achievement just to reach the finals. We beat some of the better teams in world cricket to get that far and went down fighting in the trophy game. We now need to put those disappointments behind us and focus on the future as we build towards the next World Cup.

Liam Camps
CWBCC Co-chairman

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really top effort to make the finals boys. Obviously the toss was very important. It is always tough chasing a 300+ score, but all credit to the batsman in their efforts to chase down the total.

It was a pleasure to tour with all of you, you have been a great bunch of people, and you all should be proud of your achievements.

To those retiring, congratulations on marvelous careers, your services were gallant and your commitment to the Cricket Web side will always be appreciated.

To those who were regular members of the squad during the campaign, congratulations on fine performances, especially in making the final.

To those who weren't regular members (like I), well done in supporting your team, you are a credit to your side.

To those supporters of the team, thankyou for your support, it helped us get through such a long tour and drived us on through many tough situations and hard days on the road.

I will enjoy the short break, I won't be taking a rest from the dev leagues, as I would love to get as much match practice as possible to push for a space in the upcoming touring sides.

All in all, well done everybody

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well done lads, unlucky in the final.

That was one valiant effort. Well done lads.

The toss was very important, but you gave it your best shot.

To all retiring, well done, you have been of great service.

Now lets build up to WC2005, for which I hope I will be in the squad.

PY

International Coach
Congratulations to everyone involved in CW XI and the Development Leagues. It was a day for the whole institution. I am proud to have been involved.

I would like to make myself available for selection in the Development League for the Blues but only if I warrant it and without the gloves if that makes things easier for the selectors.