• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Attacking India and Indian cricketers for poor sportsmanship must at the minimum stop :p

The opinion on an issue like this is always going to be colored by which side you support. Said as much in the Ian Bell incident when many here seemed to think that supporting appeal against Bell was equivalent to killing kids!

All that aside, more discretion for umpires in such cases is essential so that we get good decisions and players don't have to worry about conforming to 'spirit of cricket'.

Massively disagree with Spikey ftr. Don't think batsmen take off keeping in mind possibility of an obstruction.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And neither does a bowler in that case. And guess what, Lee was always in front of Sachin. You think Sachin didn't notice Lee was already using the path Sachin intended to use until it was too late?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And neither does a bowler in that case. And guess what, Lee was always in front of Sachin. You think Sachin didn't notice Lee was already using the path Sachin intended to use until it was too late?
Well I am not saying what Lee did was intentional; that's not the point. Also, Lee stopped abruptly. If he had kept running, Tendulkar would have made it by continuing on his path. May be he did take into account Lee's movement after all. That is where umpire discretion should come in. Don't know if there is any such thing in the laws for obstruction by fielders.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I am not saying what Lee did was intentional; that's not the point. Also, Lee stopped abruptly. If he had kept running, Tendulkar would have made it by continuing on his path. May be he did take into account Lee's movement after all. That is where umpire discretion should come in. Don't know if there is any such thing in the laws for obstruction by fielders.
Don't think there is. It's up the captain to withdraw the appeal. Cf Collingwood and that ODI against NZ

biased indian

International Coach
If after playing about 900 games Sachin didn't know Lee was going run up the pitch and possibly take his path he's clearly the dumbest man alive. Lee did nothing wrong. Sachin should have gone wider. It's totally different to the Bell/Mankad/Handled Ball stuff.

I do agree that India are owned some luck in that department, but it's not up to the other team to give it to them
sachin was going inside (towards pitch) since he thought lee was going for the ball...lee when suddenly stopped he had to go again wide..that's what caused the problem

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Australia batsman David Warner insists that the umpires were right not to give David Hussey out for handling the ball in Sunday's crucial clash with India at the Sydney Cricket Ground, and suggested that India's appeal was an act of desperation.

Hussey caused controversy when he stuck out his hand to knock down a ball that was headed towards the stumps while he was attempting a run, an action which India believed should have led to him being given out handling the ball.

However the onfield umpires Simon Taufel and Billy Bowden liaised with third umpire Simon Fry and decided that Hussey was protecting himself, and therefore did not give him out.

Hussey went on to score a half-century as Australia won by 87 runs, which left India with only the slightest chance of squeezing into the Commonwealth Bank Series final.

India skipper MS Dhoni said afterwards that Hussey should have been given out, but Warner backed the umpires decision and said that he would not have lodged an appeal if he had been fielding.

"At the end of the day you have got two umpires and they are the ones that control the game," Warner said.

"You just have to listen to them.

"If you appeal and it is given not out, it is not out and you get on with it."

Warner went further, saying that India had been guilty of appealing excessively all summer when things were not going their way.

"We have seen the desperation from the Indians this summer and they are (still) trying to get something out of it," he said.

"They got beat 4-0 in the Test series and now they are not doing too well in the one-dayers so they are trying to appeal for anything at the moment."

The Aussie opener also claimed that India were allowing their behaviour to have a negative impact on their performances.

"We have seen a couple of times this summer the Indian batsmen just standing their ground, but once you are out, you are out," Warner said.

"Even little things are getting on their mind like people moving behind the sightscreen.

"Not once have any of the Australian players done that and I am not sure what they have seen behind there.

"There are little things on their mind and it is obviously affecting their game."

Warner said the Indians were still very competitive.

"They are unbelievable as a unit. When I'm batting I feel I can't get the ball past any of them because they're so athletic, the young ones in the team always move and cramp your style," he said.

"They'll find their form eventually after this series - I think they play Bangladesh next. I wish them all the best.

"They definitely haven't lost interest, never have, they're always out there for the contest.

"We know exactly what their players are like. With guys like Kohli and Raina in their team they have got aggression and are always putting their front foot forward for their country."
Although the comment about India will find their form against Bangladesh was funny. I think the interview should have ended at this

"At the end of the day you have got two umpires and they are the ones that control the game," Warner said.

"You just have to listen to them.

"If you appeal and it is given not out, it is not out and you get on with it."

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Exactly. Lee coming to a stop is what cause the problem. There was no way Tendulkar could have guessed whether Lee was going to stop on the pitch or continue to the side. Maybe just a clause like the injury one added for obstructing the field / handling the ball is needed.

And what is with the complaining about ridiculous appealing? I don't recall any ridiculous appealing. Rather the sanctimonious comments from Clarke about Mankading and Warner about the Hussey appeal is ridiculous.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Exactly. Lee coming to a stop is what cause the problem. There was no way Tendulkar could have guessed whether Lee was going to stop on the pitch or continue to the side. Maybe just a clause like the injury one added for obstructing the field / handling the ball is needed.

And what is with the complaining about ridiculous appealing? I don't recall any ridiculous appealing. Rather the sanctimonious comments from Clarke about Mankading and Warner about the Hussey appeal is ridiculous.
Dhoni appeals anytime the ball goes near a batsman's pads. It's ****ing annoying.