• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loony BoB said:
Not if you don't get what you're after. They were realistic, and that is a good thing to be. I think they played quite positively. They just knew their limits and played to them as best they could.
I just don't understand why, as the game was already a dead set draw, it would be so wrong to go for a win in some capacity.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The next game is on a Sabina wicket that offers quite a deal to the faster bowlers.We'll see how they can cope on that if the Windies pacers bowl at their best.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chicane said:
I obviously didn't mean that,but oh well 8-) . Now whenever they encounter bouncing or seaming wickets their batting won't cope with any other test attack (not including Zim) and on flat decks like this their bowlers won't be able to pick up 20 wickets. Simple as that.

Yet they almost beat Pakistan (and look how great they've been rated by India once they beat them?)

chicane

State Captain
Yeah such things happen once in a while. During the time of the PAK series they were nowhere near as good as now and were far from winning a test. And Pakistan such an unpredictable and inconsistent side. And when did Bangladesh beat India?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I just don't understand why, as the game was already a dead set draw, it would be so wrong to go for a win in some capacity.
Dead set draw... yes. So why deny a batsman his maiden century? You have nothing to lose, only something to gain. A lot more than you would by getting smacked around a bit by Gayle and Smith.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chicane said:
Yeah such things happen once in a while. During the time of the PAK series they were nowhere near as good as now and were far from winning a test. And Pakistan such an unpredictable and inconsistent side. And when did Bangladesh beat India?
I think Marc was inferring that many Indian fans on this forum were very dismissive of Pakistan beforehand - yet exceedingly complimentary once India had defeated them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I think Marc was inferring that many Indian fans on this forum were very dismissive of Pakistan beforehand - yet exceedingly complimentary once India had defeated them.

Spot on...

chicane

State Captain
luckyeddie said:
OIC

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:
Spot on...
There are some idiotic fans here, but I think the praise was because some of the ODI's were so intensely fought and the Lahore test. Otherwise you could see they are capable of better stuff, the no. of no-balls, the catching and fielding, the batting sometimes, and above all the way Shoaib, Sami and Shabbir bowled. The guys who were being dismissive were obviously ignorant.

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:
Yet when India beat them it was hailed a great achievment...
Because we won after 15 years. It's like even if the Aussies thrash England in the Ashes, they will consider it a great achievement.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Bangladesh had far more to gain from at least looking like they wanted to win and thought they could win. It's more about being positive than anything else.
Oh I agree.

To me the whole aim of playing cricket, or in any sport, is to win, not draw.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Oh I agree.

To me the whole aim of playing cricket, or in any sport, is to win, not draw.
Right, your call.
You are the captain of Bangladesh, new to the job.
You're playing in a test match, away from home.
Your team have never won a match - they have come close once but that WAS against Pakistan. :p
All that has been mustered in the past is two draws - and both of them in heavily rain-influenced matches (which this was, to be fair).
Your opponents are going through a transitional phase with their bowling, but a year ago a similar batting line-up ran down the world record run chase against Australia.
The captain of your opponents, in his last match, scored an unbeaten 400.
The wicket is the most wonderful batting track - for the first time ever, two players of your side made it to three figures.
Your guide and mentor has had to return home because of a family bereavement.
There's been fifty overs lost in the current game.
Your side have dominated the first three and a half days of the test match - then on the fourth evening, they crumble again, this time to 79-6.
Heads nod - everyone had written Bangladesh off before the game - some have even gone so far as to say that it doesn't matter how many runs your side score - the West Indies will still surpass the total and thrash you.
It's looking bad, but Rajin Saleh is there, and so is Mashud.
The pair hang on until the close, 94-6 gives you a lead of 158.

Day 5, in Habibul Bashar's absence (gone for a walk on the water, hasn't come back yet) Craig, as I have said, is the new acting skipper of Bangladesh and will now address the team.

"Gerday sports. Here's how we're going to play it:"....

Over to you, Craig.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chicane said:
Because we won after 15 years.
Yet it was the same unpredictable Pakistani opposition (as shown by the fact they hammered India in the 2nd Test)

So how is one a great acheivement and the other written off as inconsistent Pakistan?

chicane said:
It's like even if the Aussies thrash England in the Ashes, they will consider it a great achievement.
No they won't, they'll consider it par for the course.

Waughney

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No they won't, they'll consider it par for the course.
Not if your talking about the players, just read some of their tour diaries.
But I must admit it is becoming less of an acheivement.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Right, your call.
You are the captain of Bangladesh, new to the job.
You're playing in a test match, away from home.
Your team have never won a match - they have come close once but that WAS against Pakistan. :p
All that has been mustered in the past is two draws - and both of them in heavily rain-influenced matches (which this was, to be fair).
Your opponents are going through a transitional phase with their bowling, but a year ago a similar batting line-up ran down the world record run chase against Australia.
The captain of your opponents, in his last match, scored an unbeaten 400.
The wicket is the most wonderful batting track - for the first time ever, two players of your side made it to three figures.
Your guide and mentor has had to return home because of a family bereavement.
There's been fifty overs lost in the current game.
Your side have dominated the first three and a half days of the test match - then on the fourth evening, they crumble again, this time to 79-6.
Heads nod - everyone had written Bangladesh off before the game - some have even gone so far as to say that it doesn't matter how many runs your side score - the West Indies will still surpass the total and thrash you.
It's looking bad, but Rajin Saleh is there, and so is Mashud.
The pair hang on until the close, 94-6 gives you a lead of 158.

Day 5, in Habibul Bashar's absence (gone for a walk on the water, hasn't come back yet) Craig, as I have said, is the new acting skipper of Bangladesh and will now address the team.

"Gerday sports. Here's how we're going to play it:"....

Over to you, Craig.
Ok I would address my team to play it safe, if a bad ball comes along, put it away, and if possible keep it along the ground. Try and look for regular single's, but don't need to take risky one's.

Trust each other when running because that way you get a good understanding together and that way it help's alleviate's any chance of run outs.

The first half an hour to an hour is the key for the match. If you can get through that period with no wicket's lost, then we have a chance.

Work in ten run partnerships; ie 10 runs is the next goal, then the next ten runs etc, then look for a lead of 220-250 as par minimum to give ourself's a chance.

Depending on time, a lead of 280 should be suffiecent in setting up the match. If possible go for 300. But 280-285 should be enough, and I would delcare.

Put a 3rd man in place, and put fielder's in attacking position's to dismiss them, and back my bowlers to get them out.

If we lose will going for a win, then that is too bad, and we might have a chance of taking something out of a match, then lose and not going for a win.

There?